You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Football 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 85>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

The Super 8's will be a steaming pile of sh*t. I hope it is a resounding failure this year that they revert back again to the previous format next year.

With You think it will be sh*t?
I'm looking forward to it ,should be some good games. 

They shouldn't revert to previous set up,they need to do a full revamp of the Championship. 
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

The Super 8's will be a steaming pile of sh*t. I hope it is a resounding failure this year that they revert back again to the previous format next year.

With You think it will be sh*t?
I'm looking forward to it ,should be some good games. 

They shouldn't revert to previous set up,they need to do a full revamp of the Championship. 

Many reasons I outlined here Thumbs Up
https://shotsfromdistance.blogspot.com/2017/02/super-8-only-has-potential-to-devastate.html

In short...
More games, more travel/cost for the supporter.
Smaller attendances will result in Croke Park potentially hosting a quarter full double header. Always a sight for sore eyes and soul destroying atmosphere, regardless of the quality games in front of them.
More games = more strain on weaker squads with no depth. The strong get stronger etc.
No incentive given to win your provincial championship other than avoiding a long route in the qualifiers. Roscommon will regroup handily enough and make the Super 8's without stress imo.
You travel to Croke Park and a away match regardless. Less numbers travelling will not produce a matchday revenue worthwhile to any county.
Club football is further stifled.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Jerryfromkerry View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerryfromkerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 5:36pm
Kerry and Galway on one side Dublin and Donegal on the other. Hoping we get Mayo and Tyrone also and it will make it an exciting superr 8s with a home away and neutral game for all teams.
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 5:40pm
I don't think the new structure was the right decision . From a fans perspective though, it should be enjoyable, and having a big, big championship game at home will be a real novelty . 

Happy with yesterday's win but we are badly up against it now after losing both Seamie and Tom. 

Hoping we get a trip to Carrick next week! Have a bad feeling we will be making a trip to ulster though  Round 3 is a minefield
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 5:42pm
Thurles is a cracking ground. Really glad I got to tick that off the list 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:13pm
couldn't be at the game in Semple yesterday.....gutted.....Mayo support was unreal!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Kerry were ruthless throughout. Cork couldn't live with them but they more or less waved the white flag with half an hour to go.

Its quite extraordinary how far Cork have fallen since 2010. I remember somebody saying to me at the time that they expected Cork to be the dominant force in football after breaking the cycle of years of failure. I disagreed, as I felt they had made much harder work of very new and generally inexperienced Dublin team in the semi final, who were playing to a very restrictive system, and in the end only won the final by a single point to a Down team, which was a bit of an unknown quantity . However, I never expected their fall to be so far. Almost a decade later I suspect they would struggle to be ranked in the Top 8.
That was the end of the era for that team, a team that never got the credit it deserved. It made the Semis 6 years in a row ('05-'10), progressing to the final in 3 of those years, topping it off with an All Ireland. It then won the leage three years in a row.

Granted they should have won more, but plenty of teams knock on the door without getting over the line (how much would Mayo give to get their breakthrough).
eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Jerryfromkerry Jerryfromkerry wrote:

Kerry and Galway on one side Dublin and Donegal on the other. Hoping we get Mayo and Tyrone also and it will make it an exciting superr 8s with a home away and neutral game for all teams.

Not all teams.....
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by eboue16 eboue16 wrote:

Not all teams.....

You are right, the dubs will have the disadvantage of playing two games in a neutral venue. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:15pm
#JusticeForTheBoysinBlue

"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Originally posted by eboue16 eboue16 wrote:

Not all teams.....

You are right, the dubs will have the disadvantage of playing two games in a neutral venue. 

LOLClap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 4:21am
The Super 8's will just serve to widen the gap between the stronger counties and the weaker counties - I think it's a poorly thought out idea and, as with many of these things, I can't understand why so many counties voted it through congress.
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 9:00am
Kildare vs mayo
Clare vs Armagh
Leitrim vs Monaghan 
Cavan vs Tyrone 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 9:21am
Be interesting to see where Kildare Mayo is played as Newbridge only has 6k capacity 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 9:24am
It's Kildare's home game so doubt they will want to move it. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Season ticket holders have to be accommodated for championship games AFAIK. Mayo have more than 6k 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 25 Jun 2018 at 9:27am

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Season ticket holders have to be accommodated for championship games AFAIK. Mayo have more than 6k 

Ah, had totally forgotten about that.
Portloaise so !
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 9:31am

The Super 8's will just serve to widen the gap between the stronger counties and the weaker counties - I think it's a poorly thought out idea and, as with many of these things, I can't understand why so many counties voted it through congress.
Don't think that will widen the gap, the gap is widening anyway if nothing was done.

The top 4/5 teams playing each other always produce good games, glad they get too play each other more often. Hope the GAA stack the fixtures so we've one/two marquee games each weekend.

For the "weaker counties", qualifying for the Super 8's should now be seen as their goal for the year, akin to qualifying for Champions/Europa League is a realistic goal for teams that could never dream of winning the Premier League. Last year Tipp and Clare would have done it. You'd like to think those teams will get better by playing the big teams, so that will reduce that gap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 85>
  Share Topic