You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Funny coincidences in football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Funny coincidences in football
    Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 2:01am
England had two players called Gary Stevens in their 1986 World Cup squad.

Fulham had a player called John Collins who left in 2003 and a player called Collins John who arrived in 2004.

Fulham had a player called Mousa Dembele who left in 2012 and a player called Moussa Dembele who arrived in 2013.

Not as good but I always thought it funny that two of perhaps Ireland's greatest ever players are both R. Keane.
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 2:22am
All good ones. And from an Irish perspective that was always a funny one roy vs. Robbie. Especislly the chant "there is only one keano" 

I remember playing fifa years ago when they didn't have the real names and you had to edit and you would normally do the first name initial and the last name; e.g. A. Shearer. But R.Keane having a possible 2 meanings, you wouldn't want to have ocd

Edited by t_rAndy - 05 Dec 2020 at 2:22am
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 8:16pm
In the past, Ghana could field defenders by the name of Mensah and Afful.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 10:47pm
This might be stretching it but I find it funny how in the 80s England had fancy players called Hoddle and Waddle at the same time and in the 00s they struggled to accommodate players called Lampard and Gerrard in the same team.

I mean when have they ever produced players with names similar to Hoddle and Waddle? Lampard and Gerrard are unusual names as well, even leaving aside the fact they both end with the same letters.

Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 12:17am
Bayer Leverkusen had Son and Sam in the same side, always made me think of New York City in the summer of 1977.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

This might be stretching it but I find it funny how in the 80s England had fancy players called Hoddle and Waddle at the same time and in the 00s they struggled to accommodate players called Lampard and Gerrard in the same team.

I mean when have they ever produced players with names similar to Hoddle and Waddle? Lampard and Gerrard are unusual names as well, even leaving aside the fact they both end with the same letters.

England also had a player in the 70s called Frank Lampard.  How mad is that. He played for west ham too. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 5:26pm

Bernd Hölzenbein

40 caps for Germany, surname translates as "Wooden Leg"

(Well it made me smile  when I was doing 'O' Level German)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 5:34pm
There were 17 goals scored in the Lge Two games between Bolton/Port Vale and Cheltenham/Exeter yesterday.

Not esp unusual, except that there were 17 different goalscorers.

In fact, there were 40 goals overall in the 12 Lge Two games, from 39 different goalscorers - Watters got two for Crawley - with none of them an OG.

Edited by Territorial - 06 Dec 2020 at 5:35pm
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 5:37pm
Nominative determinism in the NI U21 squad- QPR midfielder Amrit Bansal McNulty (IE 'Son of Ulster'). He's one of the Ballyhackamore Bansals ;)
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 5:41pm
For Herr Terri:

What's the difference between the teams from Gelsenkirchen and East End Glasgow?

Schalke und Scheisse Tongue
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 7:24pm
The only man I've known to be called Arsene ended up managing Arsenal for ages
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

There was a manger at Wolfsberg called Wolfgang Wolf

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 7:55pm
In international careers which partly overlapped, Neil Lennon (40 caps) and George McCartney (34 caps) played together only once - when BOTH came on as substitutes for the second half of a friendly versus Poland, played in Cyprus in February 2002 in front of 221 spectators:
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 8:21pm

A similar coincidence would have occurred had Roberto Mancini managed Manchester United

Abou Diaby played for Arsenal so that was another missed chance for a coincidence

Steven Gerrard is at Rangers

Doug Livermore was assistant to Roy Evans at Liverpool

Fernando De Napoli played for Napoli

But Ricky Villa played for Spurs

And Oscar Arce played for Villa

Kenny Irons never played for West Ham

Chris Eagles never played for Crystal Palace

But Gwyn Inter-CableTel-Jones played for Inter CableTel Cardiff 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

There was a manger at Wolfsberg called Wolfgang Wolf
Won the title there too. This is a very odd thread though!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 8:43pm
Aaron Ramsey
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 9:11pm
Pity stefan kuntz  never played for shamrock rovers.  

AKA pedantic kunt
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 9:12pm
Mike England played for Wales.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic