Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Friday night games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friday night games
    Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 9:53am

Why are games played on Friday nights during the summer? I understand Friday night games while the English league is on but once league finishes in England why do we still play games on Friday? Surely it is more attractive for the casual fan if a game is played on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon than Friday night. It might not be feasible for someone with kids to get from work, get the kids organised and then go out to the ground and on top of that be getting home late after the game. Surely a Saturday or Sunday afternoon game would entice more families to come along, or at least put up less obstacles to families attending. Even for your casual barstooler, a day out at the football, when there might no be any sport on the telly, followed by a load of pints might persuade a few to come along every now and again. Is there any reason why games continue to be played on Friday nights after the English league finishes?

Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:50am
Personally I prefer Friday nights, giving up most of Saturday day just wouldn't suit me.
Quick pint before the game and a couple afterwards
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:52am
I like Friday nights too but surely Saturday afternoon or evening games would be easier to market, better for families, leading to bigger attendances?
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:54am
You would lose a lot of amateur or underage supporters who themselves have matches on Saturday/Sunday too. 
El Puto Amo
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:37am
I know in Mayo we have summer football but it is my understanding that most junior/intermediate leagues around the country don't have summer football.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:38pm
I think Galway United have tried so many time slots over Fri/ Sat / and Sun and without a doubt 7.45pm on a Friday is the best time to attract a crowd .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I think Galway United have tried so many time slots over Fri/ Sat / and Sun and without a doubt 7.45pm on a Friday is the best time to attract a crowd .

CM has hit the nail on the head. It's horses for courses. What suits one club may not be ideal for another. We tried Fri nite and it doesn't work near as well. Dundalk used to play their home games on a Thursday night when they were in the FD.
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 1:01pm

Saturday and Sunday games, Sunday more so, would be affected by the GAA over the course of the summer.  Just depends on the club.

If you look at the IL, which the majority of games are Saturday afternoons, attendances aren't great.  AS MC ssaid, you exclude people who play amateur football at the same time, the very kind of people who would be more likely to attend games.

On a personal level, I'd prefer to be at home on Fridays and away on Saturdays.
City Till I Die
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 1:24pm
Would prefer Sunday afternoons which I know is a non runner as it would be going directly against Super Cider Sunday.
I leave the house for work at 6.30am on Friday morning and not home until after midnight, that's for a home game with no detours on way. Having a young family would be extremely selfish of me to attend all home games, so I have to be selective in the games I go to.

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 5:51pm
Friday nights all the way for me, get my football fix and still have all the weekend to do whatever.

If it changed to Sat/Sundays i would probably give up away games.

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
trevwaterford View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevwaterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 5:56pm
Waterford tried Saturdays for a while a few years ago in the summer. It didn't work.  People get used to going to games on a Friday night so changing for a couple months in the summer wouldn't work in my view. Also it would be clashing with some GAA matches on Saturdays and Sundays.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 6:05pm
Big fan of the Friday night game, gets you through the day in work. Although i'd like Saturday games for away days that are particularly far away
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 6:11pm
Thursday evenings would suit me perfectly
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 6:36pm
Saturday and Sunday wouldn't get me going . Work Saturdays and Sunday are for the kids . Friday night straight home from work and get a shower and get a game in Dublin . Spend enough time away from the kids as it is . Ireland aways eat into the situation aswell . Also lifestyles have change in regards it's all about family and doing stuff rather than Pints , football , lads . Well in my case it has
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 9:03pm
Anything other than Friday and pats crowds die
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Saturday and Sunday wouldn't get me going . Work Saturdays and Sunday are for the kids . Friday night straight home from work and get a shower and get a game in Dublin . Spend enough time away from the kids as it is . Ireland aways eat into the situation aswell . Also lifestyles have change in regards it's all about family and doing stuff rather than Pints , football , lads . Well in my case it has

How about bringing the kids
I know nothing :-)
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Exactly what i was thinking. I bring the kids to all home games and fair share of away. My mates bring their kids too and they all have their own season tickets. They absolutely love it, half the time they are messing and barely know the score in the game. Lifers now tho

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 20 Jul 2017 at 10:47pm
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Great craic bringing a 1 year old who still likes to feed off his mothers nipple and the other kid wouldnt sit long enough before the Kevin and Perry face comes out "do I have too"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic