You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Four Month Hiatus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four Month Hiatus
    Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 6:44pm
So what do we look out for over the 4 months until we next play in late March? I'll set out a few things I'll be hoping for. Even if half of these came off, I'd be happy. Feel free to add to the list.

1) Kelleher to get a few games in the 2 dead rubber CL games, the LC 1/4 final and the FA Cup games
2) Doherty to establish himself as first choice wb at Spurs (or get a decent PL move in January)
3) Ditto for Sir Jeffrey of Hendrick
4) Smallbone to work his way in to the starting XI at Southampton
5) Dean Smith to take a shine to Idah and Omabamidele
6) Connolly to put his troubles behind him and start to get PL minutes, Duffy to retain his starting spot
7) Tarkowski or Mee to move on from Burnley in January leaving the door open for Collins
8) O'Shea to return from injury, Molumby to earn a place in the first team and Robinson to score some goals
9) Coleman to stay fit
10) Knight to get a decent move in January, ditto Mc Grath and maybe even Ogbene/Ebosele
11) Scales (or any Irish player Smile) to start a SPL game for Celtic
12) KIlkenny and Travers to keep their spots. Brady to nail down a spot.

Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 6:48pm
Dont want any more changes to staff and that means keeping Anto Barry.  Everything is settled now and things are looking up.  Last thing we need is another coach coming in etc..
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Dont want any more changes to staff and that means keeping Anto Barry.  Everything is settled now and things are looking up.  Last thing we need is another coach coming in etc..

Agreed, he seems to have assembled a really good backroom team, Andrews, Rice, Kiely and Barry have all impressed me in various ways. There will always be churn as opportunities arise at club level, but it would indeed be nice to keep the team together, at least up to and including the 4 game June window, which will be like a mini-tournament, and hopefully longer.
Idah Dream!
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 8:27pm
The good thing about the new formation is that we don't need many of the young strikers to strike gold- we just need one. I think Knight is tailor made to start behind the striker. Robinson can play as the striker or behind the striker. That means we need one more to play as or behind a striker. 

Parrott, Obafemi, Connolly and Idah.. can one of them come good? Parrott might struggle to prove he should be a nailed on starter when he's at League One level but if he can go on another good run for a sustained period then I'm sure Kenny would give him a chance. Obafemi needs to establish himself and buck up at Swansea but if he can buck up he might be best positioned to kick on. Connolly and Idah have an awful lot of work to do to play themselves into their sides and show good form. A Championship spell would probably give them more of a shout. 

That's my big hope but they are all young so maybe it takes another year. 

Other than that, it would be great to see Kilkenny keep going and make himself too good to be ignored for the senior squad. Bar the time out of the team and squad at Bournemouth, he's had a very productive season. I love the look of him. And I feel we need a good back up option to Cullen and Hendrick. My worry at present is that Kenny likes Hourihane as back up for that pair. That's worrying.  

I think we are in good shape with the back 6 players. Another option midfield in case of injury to the established pair and another forward behind or as the striker are my two big hopes. Other than that, hopefully Omobamidele, Doherty, Hendrick can feature more for their clubs but it hasn't hurt their international form too much to date- though 4 months is a long gap if they're not getting a lot of minutes (Omobamidele getting more recently). 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Hope your right about Barry. Obviously he’s a very good coach. Hopefully we aren’t a CV filler!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

So what do we look out for over the 4 months until we next play in late March? I'll set out a few things I'll be hoping for. Even if half of these came off, I'd be happy. Feel free to add to the list.

1) Kelleher to get a few games in the 2 dead rubber CL games, the LC 1/4 final and the FA Cup games
2) Doherty to establish himself as first choice wb at Spurs (or get a decent PL move in January)
6) Connolly to put his troubles behind him and start to get PL minutes, Duffy to retain his starting spot
7) Tarkowski or Mee to move on from Burnley in January leaving the door open for Collins
8) O'Shea to return from injury, Molumby to earn a place in the first team and Robinson to score some goals
9) Coleman to stay fit
10) Knight to get a decent move in January, ditto Mc Grath and maybe even Ogbene/Ebosele

Interesting thread this main things I'd like to see are.

1. With all Klopps "I hope his international manager saw how good he was" nonsense after the Watford game he really ought to go and start him in the 2 CL games now. If he wants to hold long term Kelleher give him the required rewards. 10-15 games for Kelleher this season as back up at such a big club alone would build a CV for him to attract plenty interest if he ever left/was loaned. Those 2 games a League Cup 1/4 final bring him up to 5 already. 

2. Doherty getting gametime at Spurs is important he may get it at both RWB/LWB. Can play both and Conte brought him on for Reguilon the last day. Id also add looking at a potential young WB Ebosele and Kioso two very promising young WBs.

4 Smallbone key to him for me is just not getting injured get a few Cup game 23 games and hopefully will start coming off the bench for South as the season goes on. I know you think he can be starting regularly by March.

5 Very hard to know what Smith does here with our two boys. Worry he will be cagey and play experience over Omobamidele. Idah is a target man which Smith has often used so for all I don't think he's quite ready to play regular PL football yet Idah thiis new manager may actually end up suiting him better.

10. January moves McGrath will almost certainly get it. Knight Derby may well sell as well. Scully is another one Lincoln could cash in on him linked with plenty clubs tonight. If Tarkowsk was cashed in on Collins could find himself playing weekly very quickly. Tierney moving to Motherwell interesting to see can he hit the ground running for them such an important signing him to work out. Could set a template where SPL clubs really start sourcing young LOI players if he does. 

12. Travers should be fine. Kilkenny has stiff competition strongest midfield in the Championship stronger then a few PL clubs even but is playing so well think he can remain competitive. Need back up to Cullen/Hendrick badly Kilkenny the standout candidate. Taylor Molumby Coventry Doyle Hayes Johansson etc important these boys continue to get gametime and emerge. Hourihane and Arter are nearly next outside Cullen Hendrick Molumby. That's wildly concerning.

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 12:13am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

9) Coleman to stay fit

1. With all Klopps "I hope his international manager saw how good he was" nonsense after the Watford game he really ought to go and start him in the 2 CL games now. If he wants to hold long term Kelleher give him the required rewards. 10-15 games for Kelleher this season as back up at such a big club alone would build a CV for him to attract plenty interest if he ever left/was loaned. Those 2 games a League Cup 1/4 final bring him up to 5 already. 

2. Doherty getting gametime at Spurs is important he may get it at both RWB/LWB. Can play both and Conte brought him on for Reguilon the last day. Id also add looking at a potential young WB Ebosele and Kioso two very promising young WBs.

4 Smallbone key to him for me is just not getting injured get a few Cup game 23 games and hopefully will start coming off the bench for South as the season goes on. I know you think he can be starting regularly by March.

5 Very hard to know what Smith does here with our two boys. Worry he will be cagey and play experience over Omobamidele. Idah is a target man which Smith has often used so for all I don't think he's quite ready to play regular PL football yet Idah thiis new manager may actually end up suiting him better.

10. January moves McGrath will almost certainly get it. Knight Derby may well sell as well. Scully is another one Lincoln could cash in on him linked with plenty clubs tonight. If Tarkowsk was cashed in on Collins could find himself playing weekly very quickly. Tierney moving to Motherwell interesting to see can he hit the ground running for them such an important signing him to work out. Could set a template where SPL clubs really start sourcing young LOI players if he does. 

12. Travers should be fine. Kilkenny has stiff competition strongest midfield in the Championship stronger then a few PL clubs even but is playing so well think he can remain competitive. Need back up to Cullen/Hendrick badly Kilkenny the standout candidate. Taylor Molumby Coventry Doyle Hayes Johansson etc important these boys continue to get gametime and emerge. Hourihane and Arter are nearly next outside Cullen Hendrick Molumby. That's wildly concerning.

Honestly mate can you please stop posting this comment over and over? I'd take guess you've trotted out the exact same line a good 20 + times at this stage.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

9) Coleman to stay fit

Honestly mate can you please stop posting this comment over and over? I'd take guess you've trotted out the exact same line a good 20 + times at this stage.

You keeping score?? Might as well offer odds on me posting it under or over 30 times by March while your at it run a book!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 12:23am

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

9) Coleman to stay fit

You keeping score?? Might as well offer odds on me posting it under or over 30 times by March while your at it run a book!

I just don't get why you feel the need to keep posting the same thing over and over again, we get it you've made your opinion known move on.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:15am
Realistically, we're going to lose Barry at some stage, which I'd guess will be at the end of the Euros/Euros campaign. It's serious effort to be double jobbing, and realistically, isn't sustainable in the long-term. 

However, with him being quite young, he might see it as a great opportunity to get valuable tournament experience for his CV.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:32am
Week One done a few positives - a few negatives - feel free to add
POSITIVES
1) Goals for Mc Grath/Knight/Maguire
2) Smallbone back on the bench in the PL for Southampton
3) Big win for Doyle Hayes' Hibs in the SLC Semi
4) Ebosele gets another start
5) Noss makes Bundesliga debut, coming off bench for Monchengladbach
5) Duffy/Coleman continue to get their PL starts
6) O'Shea reportedly making good progress
7) Obafemi gets 20 mins fro Swansea

NEGATIVES
1) No mins for Idah/Omabamidele in Smith's first game in charge
2) No mins for Doherty, but at least makes the bench
3) Hendrick not even in match day squad for Newcastle, ditto Connolly for Brighton
4) Parrott not in match day squad for MK Dons
5) No WBA start for Robinson or Molumby (Gardner Hickman starts at RWB, is he committed?)
Idah Dream!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 1:00pm

POSITIVES

NEGATIVES
3) Hendrick not even in match day squad for Newcastle, ditto Connolly for Brighton
5) No WBA start for Robinson or Molumby (Gardner Hickman starts at RWB, is he committed?)

4 months ago most Irish fans hadn't a Scooby who Ogbene was, now he's in our starting 11. For good or for bad I wouldn't be making any predictions about where the Irish team might in 4 months.

One thing we know about Kenny is that he takes risks and makes unexpected decisions out of left field. If there's one thing I do expect it's that I don't expect that aspect of Kenny to change.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 2:48pm
Gardner-Hickman has applied for citizenship but it's been delayed due to COVID.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:53pm

POSITIVES

NEGATIVES

Parrot was out due to Corona he wasn't dropped.

Also the West Brom boys were better of not being associated with that performance Saturday. The team quite frankly disgraced themselves. WB fans are aghast that Molumby isn't getting a run I notice too. Ismael is very married to Livermore. 

The big negative for me actually is the Norwich.lads. I think Smith there will have a negative effect on Omobamidele very typical Farke got sacked after they won and he played well. Was all set to get a proper run I think and at would have been a certainty to start with Gibson in the Championship next season. I can see Smith reluctant to play him even in the Championship next season. 

Idah it may work out better he will get a loan if nothing else. 

The first 5 as you say were massive positives and the 4 young lads in the Bournemouth Derby game in particular Knight/Ebosele played fantastic and Kilkenny/Travers despite losing was the highlight. All 4 have the potential to play PL football in time for me. Wether they will is another question of course.

Smallbone hopefully he can get a regular spot on the bench and start coming on the odd game. Hassenhuttl it's plain to see rates him.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

POSITIVES

NEGATIVES

4 months ago most Irish fans hadn't a Scooby who Ogbene was, now he's in our starting 11. For good or for bad I wouldn't be making any predictions about where the Irish team might in 4 months.

One thing we know about Kenny is that he takes risks and makes unexpected decisions out of left field. If there's one thing I do expect it's that I don't expect that aspect of Kenny to change.

Agree that 4 months is a very long time in football, like banjaxed said, 4 months ago ogbene wasn't on anyone's radar and four months before that omobamidele wasn't either and 4 months before that Bazunu.

My own opinion is that where omobamidele looks to have a very bright future ahead of him as you can see the ability he has already, my feeling is that ogbene doesn't have the quality that is required to drive the team forward. Hes a honest hardworking tryer and has pace to burn but if irish fans demand we look to qualify for tournaments you need to have quality in the team.

The biggest negative I see is players that are getting into the ireland first team but can't get into their club team.

Doherty, hendrick, hourihane, idah the main ones.

If you look at teams in the PL generally they have big squads. Look at Wales Davies/Rodon not getting regular gametime (Davies recently) James at Utd even the likes Moore at Cardiff is in and out that side on rotation. It's a common thing not every player will be automatic starters. 
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Where did you see this hotlips?
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 10:51am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Where did you see this hotlips?

Family member said it on Twitter.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 2:04pm
That will take a long time to come through if he applied since the start of Covid. Massive backlog with the FBR applications at the moment.

Would be good if the FAI have some kind of fast track system for players but I'm not aware that they do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic