You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dirty priests

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dirty priests
    Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:27am

Report on Irish child abuse due

A%20religious%20statue
More than 35,000 children were placed in church-run institutions

The findings of a nine-year inquiry into abuse suffered by children in Catholic institutions in Ireland over a 60-year period are due to be published.

About 35,000 children were placed in a network of reformatories, industrial schools and workhouses up to the 1980s.

More than 2,000 told the Commission to Inquire Into Child Abuse they suffered physical and sexual abuse while there.

The BBC's Mark Simpson said the inquiry was expected to criticise the Church's handling of sex abuse complaints.

The institutions housed abandoned or neglected children, but courts also sent those guilty of truancy and petty crime.

Unmarried mothers were also sent to institutions known as Magdalene Laundries, many by their own families.

Abuse survivor Patrick Walsh: 'The loss of liberty, the loss of family life was the most abusive'

Hundreds of the victims moved away from Ireland once they left the care homes and went to live in the UK.

Many of those who are alleged to have carried out the abuse are now dead

Apology

The commission was established in 2000 after the then Taoiseach Bertie Ahern issued an apology on behalf of the state to the victims of child abuse.

A government compensation scheme was also established. It has already paid out almost one billion euros in compensation and legal fees to 12,500 people.

Led by Mr Justice Sean Ryan, the commission's report is believed to be five volumes and 2,500 pages long.

Thousands of abused men and women testified to the commission, which was set up after a television series revealed the scale of the abuse.

Journalist Mary Raftery, who was behind the series, said the extent and depravity of the abuse was "profoundly shocking".

"It is off the scale in terms of anything we have any knowledge of or any ability to deal with, particularly, as it was perpetrated, in the main, by members of religious orders," she said.

SEARCH FOR JUSTICE
Shane%20Harrison
Shane Harrison, BBC News, Dublin
Today sees the publication of another report in the Republic about the abuse of children entrusted to the Catholic Church.

The report looks at how children were physically, sexually and emotionally abused in schools run by religious orders.

I met three victims and heard their stories.

Ms Raftery said the children ended up in "houses of horror" and were essentially locked up until they were 16.

"They emerged deeply disturbed and damaged and so many of them immediately emigrated," she said.

"They felt their country had abandoned them as well as everything else, as well as their religion, that just stripped them bare of any kind of support.

"It is an absolutely shameful episode in our history."

The allegations include sexual abuse and repeated beating of boys and girls with a leather strap.

Some punishments were said to be handed out for talking at mealtimes or writing left handed.

More than 100 institutions run by religious orders have been examined and the inquiry is expected to produce specific findings against a number of facilities.

Another major report is due next month on abuse by Catholic priests working in parish churches around Dublin.

The Archbishop of Dublin, the Most Reverend Diarmuid Martin, warned last month that it would "shock us all."

Edited by The Count - 20 May 2009 at 6:28am
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:30am
Dirty f**kers, one of the main reasons i HATE organised religion!!
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:32am
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:42am
That was a joke there btw, it's a fookin disgrace that this sh*t is going on durty fooks Angry
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 7:02am
Utter scum, straight to hell for these horrible evil fookers! AngryAngry

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 7:49am
sick alright. And nearly a billion in compensation and legal fees paid out because of it Angry
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 9:13am
how come there child abuse scandals involvings vicars,rabbis and the like its always priests ****S
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Glen Quagmire Glen Quagmire wrote:

how come there child abuse scandals involvings vicars,rabbis and the like its always priests ****S

Vicars, rabbis and the like don't have to take an oath of celibacy, thats one reason. DIRTY f**kERS HOPE THEY ALL ROT IN HELL
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 4:47am
FFS, take a read of this.........!!! How fookin out of touch is this fooker?  Angry

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 4:53am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

FFS, take a read of this.........!!! How fookin out of touch is this fooker?  Angry

Organisations that counsel victims of child abuse have been dealing with an increase in the number of calls to their helplines.

The surge follows the publication yesterday afternoon of the report detailing the abuse suffered by thousands of children in residential institutions.

Counselling ervices said yesterday's publication of the report by the Child Abuse Commission had opened old wounds for many, and they received calls from people who had never spoken of their abuse before.

The services had extra straff on duty to deal with the increase in calls to their helplines.

The report, of almost 3,000 pages, details how thousands of children in residential institutions run by religious congregations lived in a climate of fear.

Later this month a report on clerical sex abuse in Dublin is due out.

It is expected to highlight the torment of thousands more victims and helpline providers say they will be putting on extra staff then as well.

The HSE offers a free National Counselling Service for anyone who has suffered childhood abuse on 1800 235 234.

The related Connect service, for out of hours contact, is on

1800 235 235 from the Republic of Ireland (freephone)
00800 235 235 55 from the UK and Northern Ireland (free from landlines).
www.connectcounselling.ie

Dublin Rape Crisis Centre operates a 24 hour help line on 1800 77 88 88.

That's the article, who is out of touch?
Babysis View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babysis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 5:05am
I cant believe how misguided Bishop Nichols statement was.
He surely must have realised how inflammatory even partially seeming to defend these clergy members would be. In saying that the Catholic church would no doubt have briefed Bishop Nichols on what his response would be - basically dont condone it but look after your own Angry

I was confirmed by Bishop Nichols and I met him previous to that and I found him to be a nice enough man. But statements like this do nothing to help anyone in this stiutation, least of all the poor victims.  
First Commander-Galway Regatta
AidoM View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Real life Fr Austin Purcell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AidoM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 5:41am
Originally posted by Babysis Babysis wrote:

I cant believe how misguided Bishop Nichols statement was.
He surely must have realised how inflammatory even partially seeming to defend these clergy members would be. In saying that the Catholic church would no doubt have briefed Bishop Nichols on what his response would be - basically dont condone it but look after your own Angry

I was confirmed by Bishop Nichols and I met him previous to that and I found him to be a nice enough man. But statements like this do nothing to help anyone in this stiutation, least of all the poor victims.  

Did he give you a smack on the cheek Ouch Cry LOL
But what they do have and no-one can deny this now, they have the finest collection of boilers in the world! And I include Canada in that!
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 5:57am

is anything been done to these horrible coonts for what they did? i didnt read too much into the report but the recommendations at the back of the executive summary are saying that they recommend that a memorial is built and going forward its gonna be attempted to protect children more yada yada yada..

doesnt fookin mention that those in the wrong will be brought to justice though..

and as for that pr!ck saying those who admitted abusing children are brave for coming forward and that their 'good clergy work' shouldnt be overlooked..he can go and fcuk himself..

I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 7:37am
those fukers will never be brought to justic and the people who covered for them should be made public as well.

utter scum and i hope they rot in hell for what they did
put em under pressure!
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 7:48am
just read in one of the papers there that the Catholic Church successfully sued in 2004 meaning none of the priests who caused this abuse could be named..is that true?
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 8:01am

The incoming leader of the Catholic Church in England and Wales has described as 'courageous' members of the clergy who have admitted abusing children in their care.

His comment has provoked outrage among child protection groups.

Bishop Vincent Nichols will be installed as the Archbishop of Westminster later today, thereby becoming leader of the Catholic Church in England and Wales.

WTF????????????????????????????????

This gobsh*te has been installed as Archbishop, says it all really. religion=BULLsh*t!!
The_Yank View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Yank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 9:26am
Originally posted by gazsh gazsh wrote:

just read in one of the papers there that the Catholic Church successfully sued in 2004 meaning none of the priests who caused this abuse could be named..is that true?

I heard the same thing... they tried that at the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, but the courts forced them to turn over all the records to the authorities.
UCD Physios ...We feel you up when you're feeling down
billybunter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 11:05am
Headline on the St Petersburg times this am:

"Ireland's 30,000 Stolen childhoods"  

Jaysus - fukn savages. Should be "waterboarded to death".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic