You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Health Insurance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Do you have health insurance?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [37.50%]
8 [50.00%]
2 [12.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Health Insurance
    Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 12:30pm
This is something I've not been concerned about to date but I am starting to wonder if I should get some cover, I have never fully understood the benefit of having private insurance though: Every time I have had a hospital visit it is free!? 

What is making me re-evaluate is the quicker access to newer cancer treatments in private hospitals if the need ever arose. Am I missing something though? Do people with health insurance always use a private hospital when they need to go in? Are all your costs covered except for the excess in your visits? 

Here we go again
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:00pm
Why is it free? Do you live up North?

I have VHI cover. To be honest, health insurance is a bit of a scam. You need it for when sh*t his the fan i.e. a big operation.

But even with VHI, you still end up paying some fees at SwiftCare clinics and the like.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:31pm
A&E visits are not free in Ireland (medical cards excepted). If however you visit your GP and pay that fee and he refers you then you do not pay in the hospital.

I have a VHI policy, their second cheapest I think, so low level of cover. Had a couple of GP visits last year and got €20 back per visit. I also need an MRI on my lower back thanks to old age and once I get a GP referral that will be covered by VHI without having to go on a Public waiting list. 

You will be covered in a Public hospital under any plan, but as the cover rises so does you level of cover obviously, semi private room or private room in a public or private hospital etc.

Moght be worth having a look at hia.ie and get an understanding of what means what.

Edited by Sham157 - 22 Apr 2024 at 1:36pm
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

A&E visits are not free in Ireland (medical cards excepted). If however you visit your GP and pay that fee and he refers you then you do not pay in the hospital.

Most Irish GPs tell you that you have a viral infection and then charge you €60-70 quid for a 2 minute conversation. 

No prescription.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

Most Irish GPs tell you that you have a viral infection and then charge you €60-70 quid for a 2 minute conversation. 

No prescription.

Whatever about the cost which is expensive thats not my experience at all in my thankfully to date rare visits. Ive went in with a specific issue and been cared for excellently. 
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:52pm

I have VHI cover. To be honest, health insurance is a bit of a scam. You need it for when sh*t his the fan i.e. a big operation.

But even with VHI, you still end up paying some fees at SwiftCare clinics and the like.

Galway!

I've had a minor lung issue over the past number of years, nodule that's bigger than it should be, was noticed on an x-ray and I've been monitored since. I've had CT scan, multiple x-rays, brochoscopy and met the consultant every 6 or so months. It's not a serious issue, just routinely monitored but I have not paid 1 cent for all this. I was referred by my doctor, process is slow at times but as it's not a serious issue I don't really care about the public system taking a lot of time. 

Would be very worried if I needed something urgently seen so that's why I'm trying to understand if I should get healthcare. Also understand private hospitals get quicker access to newer cancer medications due to less red tape. 

Edited by irish_major - 22 Apr 2024 at 1:53pm
Here we go again
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Galway!

I've had a minor lung issue over the past number of years, nodule that's bigger than it should be, was noticed on an x-ray and I've been monitored since. I've had CT scan, multiple x-rays, brochoscopy and met the consultant every 6 or so months. It's not a serious issue, just routinely monitored but I have not paid 1 cent for all this. I was referred by my doctor, process is slow at times but as it's not a serious issue I don't really care about the public system taking a lot of time. 

Would be very worried if I needed something urgently seen sp that's why I'm trying to understand if I should get healthcare. 

My mother has had a lot of health problems recently and the waiting list was still very long going through private.

The healthcare system in Ireland is really bad. Badly organised, not well funded, etc.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 2:05pm
Subsidised through the job and the contribution i do make towards it comes from my gross so i dont really feel the loss of paying towards it. Have a high level of cover and it's a peace of mind for sure. 

Get 75% back off GP visits for example so it's also makes it easier to make a decision to go to a GP versus like when I was young and your arm had to be hanging off before you would be allowed go see the GP.

Definitely I have paid more into it than I've taken out but again if sh*t ever hit the fan then I'll be glad I have it
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 7:49pm

Galway!

Would be very worried if I needed something urgently seen so that's why I'm trying to understand if I should get healthcare. Also understand private hospitals get quicker access to newer cancer medications due to less red tape. 
You'd want to be careful IM coz that could be considered a pre existing condition and therefore you wouldn't get cover for up to 5 years.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 7:52pm
 Health insurance is a minefield tbh, as someone said the hia.ie website is quite good but you need to know what you're looking for, consultant fees, emergency dept fees, gp visits and stuff like that are pay and claim. There is a difference in the hospitals too ie Blackrock and hermitage are private hospitals but beacon is high tech..... It's mad stuff altogether 

Edited by greenlad - 22 Apr 2024 at 7:53pm
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 9:56am

I have a VHI policy, their second cheapest I think, so low level of cover. Had a couple of GP visits last year and got €20 back per visit. I also need an MRI on my lower back thanks to old age and once I get a GP referral that will be covered by VHI without having to go on a Public waiting list. 

You will be covered in a Public hospital under any plan, but as the cover rises so does you level of cover obviously, semi private room or private room in a public or private hospital etc.

Moght be worth having a look at hia.ie and get an understanding of what means what.

I probably have the same and have had the policy since I started my current job back in 2006. Have an excess of €500 which is piss all if anything major is needed. Like some on here people tell me it's a waste of money but having paid it for so long I'll never cancel it as it does provide peace of mind. Comes out from gross pay too like Andy so don't pay full amount really. Work are starting to pay it for us a benefit this year up to €1,500 so will be upping the policy once that comes in.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 10:24am

No prescription.

With Laya, through work, try use my allowances each year to stay on top of things, go chiro twice a year to ensure back stays aligned, got reading glasses, a few other things i like corns from FB boots, sorted, have a small excess on each but worth it to keep on top of things now i turned 50

Best thing though is the free on line GP, rarely go local GP any more, couldn't get an appointment anyway
Getting old and intolerant
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 10:34am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I probably have the same and have had the policy since I started my current job back in 2006. Have an excess of €500 which is piss all if anything major is needed. Like some on here people tell me it's a waste of money but having paid it for so long I'll never cancel it as it does provide peace of mind. Comes out from gross pay too like Andy so don't pay full amount really. Work are starting to pay it for us a benefit this year up to €1,500 so will be upping the policy once that comes in.

Are you sure it comes from Gross pay.  As in before you are taxed? 
AKA pedantic kunt
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Think it is but I get charged BIK on it
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 11:06am
Is this where an employer pays a percentage of your total health insurance bill.  
AKA pedantic kunt
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 11:20am

Yep 100% comes out before tax. It was a group scheme when I signed up which is how it's done this way I'm guessing.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 11:28am

Is this where an employer pays a percentage of your total health insurance bill.  

havent looked at payslip in a while only winds me up looking at tax paid,, but think they pay for my health insurance, and I have to pay BIK on it
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 2:36pm

This is something I've not been concerned about to date but I am starting to wonder if I should get some cover, I have never fully understood the benefit of having private insurance though: Every time I have had a hospital visit it is free!? 

What is making me re-evaluate is the quicker access to newer cancer treatments in private hospitals if the need ever arose. Am I missing something though? Do people with health insurance always use a private hospital when they need to go in? Are all your costs covered except for the excess in your visits? 

I work in the industry, yeah basically you are just paying to 
(a) get faster appointments - if your GP wants you to go for a test for something, you'll get seen to in a week rather than however number of months it can take public, and as we know, getting diagnosed faster leads to better outcomes
(b) money back for some services depending on policy
(c) get treatment in nicer hospitals - the likes of Beacon, Mater private etc

I never care about the (c) above, if you're the likes of me and can make do with standard hotels, cars etc when you're healthy, I don't see why you need fancy 5* hospitals when you're sick.

(c), moneyback is nice, but isn't a reason to get health insurance on its own, it's like car insurance, you never want to have to claim on it. I'd never look at insurance as "did I make money on it this year", it's there for the big events

So really it comes down to (a) for me, I've had a few things during the years, little niggles that I wanted to get checked out, dodgy ankle that I wanted a MRI on, got that in 2 days. Felt a lump ina  testicle, checked out with a ultrasound that evening, I pay for the peace of mind for those.

It's expensive, but health is important to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic