You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you trust RTÉ, Newstalk etc?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: .
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [60.98%]
16 [39.02%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you trust RTÉ, Newstalk etc?
    Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 9:24am
Based on a comment in another thread that the majority of Ireland don't trust these news sites. 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 9:27am
Like most propaganda sites they'll cherry pick the truth to suit an agenda. Most of what they report will be true they'll just be reluctant to report what they don't want you to hear unless absolutely forced.
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 10:19am
I wouldn't fully trust any media outlet. There's usually some sort of angle or play.

Governments/politicians and businesses have narratives and topics they want to see pushed/focused on.

It's obviously worse in America than it is here though.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:21am
I don't trust this poll as I can't vote.

But I'll say this I seen that post earlier, not sure if it was in the conspiracy theory thread if not it belongs there...hopefully that answers the question LOL
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:27am
Polls not worth a bollox on this site when half the posters can’t vote. 

Anyone else exhausted by the conspiracy nonsense on here the last few months? 
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:31am
Becoming a journalist means having the crusade to report the facts and to only care about the truth,

Which billionaire or government paying the salary shouldn't be a prerogative
nor should it be a prerogative for a journalist/news agency or their paymasters to judge or moderate what the public can be told
Getting old and intolerant
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:35am
Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.
I will be in the bar
With my head on the bar
I am now a central part
Of your mind's landscape
Whether you care or do not
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:41am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Why can't half of us vote anyway ? 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Have you 5G?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Le Gerk is trying to control the narrative 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:51am
Saw a show on RTE the other week called "Fair City" - I didn't believe a word of it.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:52am
Absolutely not.

EDIT: I wasn't going to quantify my vote, but here goes.

In my experience, RTE and Newstalk provide somewhat reliable coverage of domestic news stories, particularly those that are not controversial. However, it's essential to recognise the parochial nature of Ireland, where local agendas significantly shape news narratives. These stories often prioritise the interests of local politicians, Garda officials, or GAA club officials who are the primary sources of information. (This isn't unique to Ireland I suppose).

When it comes to potentially contentious issues, RTE tends to align closely with the government's stance to avoid exacerbating public sentiment, when perhaps the public deserves the full truth, not just a version of the truth. A recent example of this approach is evident in the reporting of Ashling Murphy's boyfriend's post-trial statement, where certain key elements were omitted due to concerns about inciting hatred or similar reactions.

What I find concerning is their tendency to selectively omit details they deem inappropriate for public consumption while subtly emphasising specific aspects of stories. A half decent example of this was when they were caught out instructing participants in climate change discussion broadcasts to wear Hawaiian shirts during the broadcast, despite the incongruity with the weather in Dublin at the time. More info here for anyone interested: https://x.com/kenfoxe/status/1752982722392228080

Regarding international coverage, RTE tends to align with the widely accepted global narrative. This often entails portraying figures like Donald Trump and Elon Musk in a negative light, while not holding the likes of Biden to the same standards. 

Additionally, RTE reporting typically supports unchecked immigration as a positive and sustainable practice, and anyone who even thinks about questioning this is a member of the far right.

I've not recently come across any instances where either RTE or Newstalk produce stories that challenge the overarching global narrative that other international news outlets drive.

Edited by Maccatacca - 19 Apr 2024 at 12:18pm
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:59am
I don’t think rte or newstalk intentionally “lie” - but it’s concerning that they don’t cover stories of factual revelations found by the likes of the ditch and gript that would be of the public interest.

Wouldn’t be a fan of the narrative from the likes of gript or the ditch myself (wouldn’t be a fan of their angle a lot of the time)  - but they have revealed lots of factual things that were of public interest but not really covered by mainstream media.

Personally I think it’s because the mainstream media feel threatened by these sites and no longer have a monopoly of getting “exclusive” revelations 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 12:05pm
My serious answer would be no. During the worst of the troubles, "our" national broadcaster had a jarring pro-British and pro-Unionist slant and anti-Republican elements in spheres of influence. Taoiseach expected to attend the memorial for the Enniskillen bombing every year while no British PM has ever attended a memorial for the worst terrorist attack committed on British/Irish soil by agents [[Billy Hanna, Robin Jackson]] who were working for the British state. Liam Cosgrave blamed the IRA for it!

Irish Times etc had journalists writing pro-British propaganda, again, during the worst of the troubles, turning a blind eye to every atrocity committed by the British and/or loyalists.

So, to reiterate, no. They were, and remain, a complete and utter embarrassment. Soyboys about every atrocity and war crime committed under the sun - except the ones in our own country, of course.
I will be in the bar
With my head on the bar
I am now a central part
Of your mind's landscape
Whether you care or do not
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

I don’t think rte or newstalk intentionally “lie” - but it’s concerning that they don’t cover stories of factual revelations found by the likes of the ditch and gript that would be of the public interest.

Wouldn’t be a fan of the narrative from the likes of gript or the ditch myself (wouldn’t be a fan of their angle a lot of the time)  - but they have revealed lots of factual things that were of public interest but not really covered by mainstream media.

Personally I think it’s because the mainstream media feel threatened by these sites and no longer have a monopoly of getting “exclusive” revelations 

One has spent the past 12-18 months exposing corruption involving politicians. The other has spent the same time period inciting hatred. Fairly disingenuous to put both of them together.

I wouldn’t have faith in RTE and the likes of the Indo/IT to report truthfully on stories like the Ditch broke involving Niall Collins, Robert Troy, etc.

RTE, now more than ever, are indebted to a governmental bail out due to the bogus self-employment cases which will be coming their way.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 1:15pm
RTE - don't bite the hand that feeds you is how they operate. Newstalk is privately owned so has an editorial agenda. Very few if any media outlets are independent to report what they want. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:26pm

There is one thread for conspiracy theories, so easy to avoid should you wish.

As for the poll...25 years in the industry and distrust has always been there.
Would imagine there is a multitude of reasons for that, some ridiculous and some a bit.more reasoned

The main issue is RTE's financial position. They are seen very much ad the captain of the MSM ship. Being so reliant on Government funding is not healthy. 
Also, some of their higher earners prefer to act the celebratory rather than journalist. 

Mush Cassidys Donkey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mush Cassidys Donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

There is one thread for conspiracy theories, so easy to avoid should you wish.

As for the poll...25 years in the industry and distrust has always been there.
Would imagine there is a multitude of reasons for that, some ridiculous and some a bit.more reasoned

The main issue is RTE's financial position. They are seen very much as the captain of the MSM ship. Being so reliant on Government funding is not healthy. 
Also, some of their higher earners prefer to act the celebratory rather than journalist. 

25 years in the trade and still can't find the spell check function LOL

Edited by The GerK - 19 Apr 2024 at 2:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic