You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proper Pronunciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper Pronunciation
    Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 4:43pm
Wojciech Szczesny was Poland's hero again last night. However, for such a famous player, no commentator has ever bothered to pronounce his name correctly. They always say shez'nee, when it's closer to shtans'neh 

Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 5:19pm
Would imagine it's because majority of commentators aren't fluent Polish speakers.

You could say the same for every player whose name isn't English.

Loads of English commentators butcher Doherty why would you expect them to be able to pronounce Szczęsny?

Edited by lassassinblanc - 27 Mar 2024 at 5:19pm
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Wojciech Szczesny was Poland's hero again last night. However, for such a famous player, no commentator has ever bothered to pronounce his name correctly. They always say shez'nee, when it's closer to shtans'neh 

I thought he said he was retiring after the last major tournament.
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 6:04pm
Remember that time Szczesny thought he was dying and asked to get substituted for Juve when there was nothing wrong with him? Reminds me of the time I asked my parents to ring an ambulance because I had a panic attack.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 6:42pm
At euro 2012 I passed through the polish town of Tczew.........its pronounced Jeff. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

At euro 2012 I passed through the polish town of Tczew.........its pronounced Jeff. 

Unbelievable Jeff!

I had a couple of lecturers who couldn't pronounce basic words.

This female lecturer pronounced 'Coup' 'coop' with the P.   When she was corrected by someone in the class about the pronunciation  she said 'no its 'coop' and she spelled it out C-O-U-P' emphasising the P (coop).

At which point a fair few of us looked at each other like

Awkward Look Monkey Puppet | Know Your Meme

There's another one who pronounced 'specific' 'pacific'.

Edited by Trap junior - 27 Mar 2024 at 7:54pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Would imagine it's because majority of commentators aren't fluent Polish speakers.

Loads of English commentators butcher Doherty why would you expect them to be able to pronounce Szczęsny?

Commentators should be able to do it because it's their job! Szczęsny has played for several high profile clubs, so it's not like he's some random player.

Lewandowski, clearly an easier name to pronounce, and it will still be random as to whether the commentator gets his name right.

At the last World Cup, one of the RTÉ commentators discovered that Fred is pronounced frej, and he was like - I'm not saying that!

And there's the future Ireland manager Poyet LOL 

I think his name is pronounced poy'zhet
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 8:03pm
Not sure if this qualifies in the typical sense but i remember being on an interview panel for a role years ago and the candidate had worked for Ernst and Young for a few years. Every single time the candidate referred to them as Ernest and Young. Ffs how do you work for a company and not know how to pronounce their name? Bonkers Ted.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 8:04pm
Joelinton is correctly pronounced 'Zho-el-in -tohn''

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Not sure if this qualifies in the typical sense but i remember being on an interview panel for a role years ago and the candidate had worked for Ernst and Young for a few years. Every single time the candidate referred to them as Ernest and Young. Ffs how do you work for a company and not know how to pronounce their name? Bonkers Ted.

Or TDs in the Dail talkign about 'Westminister'

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 8:44pm
Pat Hoban
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Or TDs in the Dail talkign about 'Westminister'

Chicargo.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 9:07pm
Adam Idah.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 9:24pm
de Bruyne - deh broon'eh
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Near Gdansk if memory is right. Was there myself. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 4:13pm

Pat Fenlon spent a whole game on co-commentary calling him Linton. Must have thought his name was Joe Linton.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Pat Fenlon spent a whole game on co-commentary calling him Linton. Must have thought his name was Joe Linton.

LOL
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Commentators should be able to do it because it's their job! Szczęsny has played for several high profile clubs, so it's not like he's some random player.

Lewandowski, clearly an easier name to pronounce, and it will still be random as to whether the commentator gets his name right.

At the last World Cup, one of the RTÉ commentators discovered that Fred is pronounced frej, and he was like - I'm not saying that!

And there's the future Ireland manager Poyet LOL 

I think his name is pronounced poy'zhet

They do get a sheet with the phonetic pronunciation of all names. Whether they use it or not is another question.

I think premier league ran a series of videos with players pronouncing their names at the start of the season.

I remember Szoboszlai being the main one featured 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic