Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Switzerland Match Thread (March 2024)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2024 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Some amount of doom and gloom here.

I thought we played reasonably well, a lot better than we did under Kenny.

Idah had a great game when he came on - we do that lack that quality to open teams up, loads of times the killer pass was too short\long or just off,

I thought Cullen had a great second half. 

I think you see the game differently when your at the game. 
There was very very little difference between these 2 games & the last few years. 

Sponsored Links

GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

At least Wales are out, cheered me up a bit.

Sad if we’re getting our jollies from near neighbours losing. Like the usual contingent who’ll get their adrenaline rush at Euro 2024 over England matches. We definitely cared less about other teams when we were good.

Definitely true this 
Used to not care about wales and Scotland 
Now cheer against them as I’m envious that they’re doing better than us 

Ha same here. They have taken the plucky celtic underdog mantle from us.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 12:00am
I would have said before these games there's nothing JOS can do with 2 friendlies to earn the job. Winning both 5-0 wouldn't have made a difference, they're just friendlies.

People bring up Eileen Gleeson, but she got an entire Nations League campaign (6 games) and she blitzed it. Not the same at all.

The only lasting positive things JOS could have done would've been blooding players, but he erred against that.

Tactically he offered nothing tonight. 
Starting XI was wrong, formation needed changing after 20mins... at Half Time... at 60mins... at 75mins... but it never came.

Midfield 2 were over run and only had any room when Swiss were sitting off disinterested. We need 3 bodies in midfield & is never happened.

Idah & Azaz should have started. Coleman, Brady & Ferguson shouldn't have.
Leaving Ferguson on for 90 was ridiculous.

O'Dowda coming on is a shocker. Not only is he nowhere near good enough, at 29yo, with 28 caps, and being made of glass he's not going to get any better.

If that's the audition...
Simon Cowell No GIFs | Tenor

On paper our starting team is on a par with Wales’s IMO
There certainly isn’t much in it

It’s on a different level to the north’s.

Yet we look less of a team than both. If we faced the north I’m telling you we would struggle. It would probably end in a draw. 

We’re totally devoid of something at the minute, need the new manager to be able to find that

Don't agree at all. Wales squad is almost entirely in their prime, and have a couple of tournaments under their belts.

Ampadu is one of their youngest players at 23yo but has 51 caps, has qualified for/played at 2 tournaments (Euro2020, WC22), played 2 seasons in Serie A & 1 season in the Prem. Oh and he can play as a CM or as a CB. We don't have a senior player with that kind of profile, never mind a 23yo.
DC96 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 12:02am
Another international break, another reality check.

Midfield/Attack of  Blackburn, Bristol City, West Brom Brighton and Burnley up against a line up of Toulouse, Nantes, Leverkusen, Bologna, Chicago (ex Liverpool, Milan, Lyon), Burnley from a home set-up that actually has professional facilities and coaching.

Even a sh*te Ligue 1/Bundesliga player has some technical and passing ability. The majority of EFL ones do not. Hence we create nothing consistently and cough up the ball endlessly under pressure. Is what it is, with the FAI being the joke it is can only hope we fluke on a manager who can work with players that we have and grind out something half respectable such as a counterattacking style without resorting to MON style pukeball but who knows who'll be in charge at this stage.

Pot 4/5 teams have vastly better facilities and coaches and have rapidly surpassed us with a fraction of our player/fanbase, until we address that it's just wasted time and effort and we'll deserve everything we get, any other scapegoats/plans are merely distractions.

But, I await the usual tirade of people who don't watch Championship football telling me Bristol City/Blackburn et al would be top half in Germany/France and we just need to be "tough to beat" etc etc
SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 12:05am
your wrong, it can't be said anymore we don't have the players, we just can't have a manager that picks our best team. 
Media given Coleman man of the match and Szmodics lowest rating on the team considering Bazunu had a mare and some didn't get a kick sums it all up. No appreciation of proper technical footballers in this country but sure if there nice lads and been around a while we'll go with them!
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Coleman was shocking.  Should never have emerged from the tunnel at HT.  MotM...Christ on a bicycle.
Ferguson left out for 90 was a management failure - kid needed saving.
Playing two in the centre and hoping two geriatric wing-backs would help them is children's stuff.

Szmodics should be central - he's now our best player.
Idah was very good when he came on and a system that has him and Szmodics as a two was the way to go, with Ferguson at such a low ebb (he'll be back).
Play O'Shea FB, two CHs and Mattie or whoever.
Then three in the centre with an actual #10 (or someone trying to be - let Azaz at it).

It's not f**king rocket-science but JoS is not even up for Inter-Cert science.
Move on...who can save us?!

Clearly, it's you Fozz ClapClapClapClap
It would damage this forums' reputation
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 12:36am
The Swiss or any team for that matter are just so technically better on the ball than us. When we pressed them they dont panic they just knock it around and work it out. When they do it to us we panic faff around at the back and send it back to Bazunu who can only belt it upfield. We dont have anyone who can take a pass and turn and move forward. The likes of Cullen will take a pass with his back to the oppositions goal and pass it sideways or inevitable back which invites more pressure. We just need some fooking proper midfielders. 
I love beer gardens
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 12:43am
We are like Cool Runnings. We are the Jamaican Bobsled team looking at Der Schewiz and always getting beat by them
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 12:46am
Paddy just doesnt look like scoring even if we played for another few hours.  To add insult to i jury we win a penalty and Ferguson decides to do a Hams Moleman effort
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 2:45am
Didn't get to see the game and there's no highlights available. For this I'm thankful.

Can't understand Ferguson starting instead of Idah.
Azaz should have had at least a full half.
Would have liked Hodge to get 20 minutes.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 3:44am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Some amount of doom and gloom here.

I thought we played reasonably well, a lot better than we did under Kenny.

Idah had a great game when he came on - we do that lack that quality to open teams up, loads of times the killer pass was too short\long or just off,

I thought Cullen had a great second half. 

I think you see the game differently when your at the game. 

Wrong.

You saw huff n puff and a manager totally outflanked tactically. 

Corey100 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Landsdowne90 Landsdowne90 wrote:

Originally posted by Corey100 Corey100 wrote:

On paper our starting team is on a par with Wales’s IMO
There certainly isn’t much in it

It’s on a different level to the north’s.

Yet we look less of a team than both. If we faced the north I’m telling you we would struggle. It would probably end in a draw. 

We’re totally devoid of something at the minute, need the new manager to be able to find that

Wales are no great shakes in my opinion but yet somehow find a way to stay resilient to get out of their groups and reach play off finals, currently in extra time with Poland. I find it scary the fact that we've fallen so far behind the rest of the pack ever since Mick finished up with us in his second stint, relatively small countries such as Albania, Slovenia and now even Georgia are getting joy in qualification campaigns whereas we are really in a dark place.

There is a few gems in the Ireland squad but the group is extremely young and such lack of experience could cost us during times when we need it most, highly unlikely O'Shea will remain as manager and whoever we do end up with has a big job on his hands to steer us in the right direction.

f**k Wales and their silly f**king hats. Well done to the Poles. 

Agreed, delighted that lot didn’t qualify for another tournament, nothing against Wales but their team and supporters have been suffering from Swollen heads since their Semi-final run at the Euros eight years ago still living off the hype. Their team hasn’t really got much more than us only more polished as they’ve scraped their way to the last two tournaments and whimpered out of them in embarrassing fashion and the players have that experience.
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 9:33am
The 1st half in particular was dire. We only started to carry any sort of threat from around 35 mins onwards.

Brady and Coleman starting two games in a row. O'Dowda getting minutes over Ebosele. Yikes.

O'Brien not being given his debut and Azaz only coming on in the 87th minute. Poor decisions.

I'd say the only positive was that Idah played well when he came on.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 10:31am
I thought Smallbone again did well when he came on - was willing to go back and take it from Bazunu and try play out from there. I don't think Knight can play in a midfield two, he was really poor in the first half i thought and a big part of the reason the Swiss dominated midfield so much. Xhaka showed his quality too, what we would do for someone like him.
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 10:41am
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

I thought Smallbone again did well when he came on - was willing to go back and take it from Bazunu and try play out from there. I don't think Knight can play in a midfield two, he was really poor in the first half i thought and a big part of the reason the Swiss dominated midfield so much. Xhaka showed his quality too, what we would do for someone like him.

Knight is a strange player. It's as if he still hasn't found a position.

He's not quite technical enough to play as a traditional #10 and doesn't have the positional sense to play as a CM in a two.

He's got legs and will put in a shift. He can carry the ball forward if there's space. He dug out a decent ball for Johnston after a driving run.

But games often pass him by. It's mainly his work ethic that makes him an asset.

He hasn't really developed like we would have hoped after showing a lot of promise as a teenager.

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 11:11am
Play Knight as a full-back.
Multiple problems solved.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Knight is a strange player. It's as if he still hasn't found a position.

He's not quite technical enough to play as a traditional #10 and doesn't have the positional sense to play as a CM in a two.

He's got legs and will put in a shift. He can carry the ball forward if there's space. He dug out a decent ball for Johnston after a driving run.

But games often pass him by. It's mainly his work ethic that makes him an asset.

He hasn't really developed like we would have hoped after showing a lot of promise as a teenager.

Sums up knight. Tries hard but very little quality. He starts most games and then people bemoan why we are doing so bad
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Play Knight as a full-back.
Multiple problems solved.

Having played all over the shop for Derby two seasons in a row, I don't think he'd want to play at RB in the long term.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
  Share Topic