You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Immigration Policy in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 8:48am
Originally posted by limerick lad limerick lad wrote:

I think all opinion polls provide certainty that current immigration policy is now a significant topic for the electorate. Do I think it's as important as Housing and Healthcare - absolutely not. I also don't believe the vast majority of people in these opinion polls have an issue with legal migration but do believe current asylum trends in particular are unsustainable and we are a soft touch in terms of rejecting bogus applications and enforcing deportations.
It's definitely going to be one of the main things the parties have to deal with, albeit I'm not sure it'll be one any party wants o debate. SF leadership are broadly onboard with the line of "we're for immigration". Whereas I feel a lot of those in the IrelandIsFull brigade were probably SF voters. It's a tricky one for them. Could get a lot of independents running on that tagline and getting elected, certainly in Council/European Elections in June anyway
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I spend a fair bit of time in Drogheda as the missus is from there. I'd wager you've spent next to no time there. As far as I know, another poster, Wheelo, is from there, so might be able to offer more of a perspective than what you've read on some twitter thread from a poster with "Ireland4DeIrish" in it's bio.

You only have to drive through Drogheda once to see the amount of dereliction around the place. The town has nothing to offer tourists, and the tourist attractions are all outside the town and are easily accessible from Dublin. It's a huge town, in need of a major facelift and an economic boost. None of which has anything to do with a hotel housing asylum seekers. 

Drogheda is a town that always had huge potential if marketed right. Location is great, 20 mins from airport, close to Dublin, on the boyne, has historical things in town and a short drive away, etc .Unfortunately Dundalk has always been supported by governments in attracting businesses, while leaving drogheda rot away. That’s going on decades.

You’re right, the town has been let get run down. However, there has been a shift the last few years to try get it back up and running in attracting festivals (eg comedy fesitval in a few weeks) and there has been an attempt to start pushing the tourism market. Honestly, if marketed properly it could thrive re tourism (I’ve given a lad from turkey and a couple of Americans walking tours of the historical parts of the town and they really enjoyed it).

But these efforts are now too little, too late, as this d hotel fiasco has finished off any chance of getting drogheda up and running.

Putting 500 asylum seekers in a hotel that is attached to a shopping centre in the town centre is going to finally kill off the town. If you know the location, you will know there is loads of space around for them to “hang around”.

Wed have a problem as it is with dubs who moved to south side of town especially and just going to swords for shopping, etc rather than shopping in drogheda. That will only increase now as I can see people want to stay away from scotch hall now, which will effect more local businesses, etc

So you’re right, drogheda is a town that’s been neglected for years. But this fiasco is finally going to kill off any hope of it improving. It’s going to make the town a lot worse too 

Btw I haven’t seen that Twitter account you refer to but the right wing loonies sometimes dilute the genuine arguments/ concerns locals have all around the country 

This is a fair post. Concerned voices in Drogheda should be heard, not dismissed as 'far right'. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 9:36am
Why would the government take over a successful hotel in Drogheda?

Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 9:39am
First example straight away. Protest planned for tomorrow. Local politicians encouraging people not to attend as been organised by some of those loonies.

It’s a shame. 

If local councillors really cared, they organise a protest over it!

The politicians are going to get wiped out over this in next election 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 9:41am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

I spend a fair bit of time in Drogheda as the missus is from there. I'd wager you've spent next to no time there. As far as I know, another poster, Wheelo, is from there, so might be able to offer more of a perspective than what you've read on some twitter thread from a poster with "Ireland4DeIrish" in it's bio.

You only have to drive through Drogheda once to see the amount of dereliction around the place. The town has nothing to offer tourists, and the tourist attractions are all outside the town and are easily accessible from Dublin. It's a huge town, in need of a major facelift and an economic boost. None of which has anything to do with a hotel housing asylum seekers. 

Drogheda is a town that always had huge potential if marketed right. Location is great, 20 mins from airport, close to Dublin, on the boyne, has historical things in town and a short drive away, etc .Unfortunately Dundalk has always been supported by governments in attracting businesses, while leaving drogheda rot away. That’s going on decades.

You’re right, the town has been let get run down. However, there has been a shift the last few years to try get it back up and running in attracting festivals (eg comedy fesitval in a few weeks) and there has been an attempt to start pushing the tourism market. Honestly, if marketed properly it could thrive re tourism (I’ve given a lad from turkey and a couple of Americans walking tours of the historical parts of the town and they really enjoyed it).

But these efforts are now too little, too late, as this d hotel fiasco has finished off any chance of getting drogheda up and running.

Putting 500 asylum seekers in a hotel that is attached to a shopping centre in the town centre is going to finally kill off the town. If you know the location, you will know there is loads of space around for them to “hang around”.

Wed have a problem as it is with dubs who moved to south side of town especially and just going to swords for shopping, etc rather than shopping in drogheda. That will only increase now as I can see people want to stay away from scotch hall now, which will effect more local businesses, etc

So you’re right, drogheda is a town that’s been neglected for years. But this fiasco is finally going to kill off any hope of it improving. It’s going to make the town a lot worse too 

Btw I haven’t seen that Twitter account you refer to but the right wing loonies sometimes dilute the genuine arguments/ concerns locals have all around the country 

This is a fair post. Concerned voices in Drogheda should be heard, not dismissed as 'far right'. 
The thing is though the bit I've highlighted in bold is the sh*te that the far right come out with. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 9:47am
It’s the truth. If 500 people are living in hotel rooms full time with nothing to do, not even able to smoke inside, etc they are going to hang around outside it. 

Anyone that says any differently, isn’t living in the real world.

I let my young lad go into town on his own, but ill be telling him to avoid that area now.

"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 9:49am

It’s the truth. If 500 people are living in hotel rooms full time with nothing to do, not even able to smoke inside, etc they are going to hang around outside it. 

Anyone that says any differently, isn’t living in the real world.

I let my young lad go into town on his own, but ill be telling him to avoid that area now.

People hang around areas all the time in Ireland without issue. 
What's your specific reason for having an issue here?

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

The thing is though the bit I've highlighted in bold is the sh*te that the far right come out with. 

Is it not a fair point?
500 people with no employment in one small area?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 10:01am

Is it not a fair point?
I don't really see the issue. Some could be women and kids. Some may look to try and start education of some sort etc. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 10:03am

Is it not a fair point?
I don't really see the issue. Some could be women and kids. Some may look to try and start education of some sort etc. 

You’re living in cloud cuckoo land 
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 10:05am

Is it not a fair point?

This is the problem though. No one knows because the Government haven't said and they have repeatedly lied in similar circumstances. 

People have an absolute right to be concerned. It's how you express that concern that can become an issue.

If 500 Irish job seekers were put in there, people would have the same concerns. 

EDIT: You are entitled to feel it's a non issue and people entitled to be concerned. 
Screaming far right over these concerns does little for proper debate

Edited by The GerK - 16 Feb 2024 at 10:13am
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 10:14am
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 10:17am
I think anyone following the threads these conversations have been popping up would know my position on this whole thing, and to be honest I'll not be coming into this thread all that often after this for obvious enough reasons (or one reason in particular). Sorry ahead of time for the wall of text, and I'll say off the bat I'm a left wing socialist so feel free to ignore/skip. 

Activists who have been working in and around immigration in Ireland have been screaming about the system here and how broken it is for decades at this point. Direct Provision is a billion-euro industry. Anyone involved in accommodating Ukrainians will know the money involved. Take a look at this article in the Examiner, it's a few years old but I can't imagine much has really changed:

I would ask anyone who is angry about refugees being scroungers and "not working a day in their life (in Ireland)", only coming here for social welfare etc. - please read that article and see how much of your tax euros are actually being spent and where. Is it right that the government spend money like that on a broken system, or is it right that the most vulnerable in society get a few euro every week. What system has a more negative impact on Irish society? 

Asylum seekers and refugees have lived in horrific conditions in DP for years in spite of all that money in the industry (and it is an industry). The centres have been at capacity, adults living with children they don't know in the same rooms, this being flagged by the adults themselves because they're concerned for the welfare of these children. Kids going missing. Being given warmed up slop as food every day. Not allowed leave their accommodation. This article from the New Yorker, again a few years old, sums up the system well: 

Processing times from the IPO are a disgrace, and it's sort of typical Irish governmental policy as they have been completely laissez-faire about it for years. happy out with DP because it's lining a few pockets and there hasn't been a public groundswell about it, with no care or thought given to 
a) the human beings being treated like sh*t and 
b) what happens if the numbers spike for some reason out of Ireland's control

Now we're at B. The war in Ukraine has caused a huge spike in numbers, and the system completely collapses as a result. As someone who has been talking about this for a long time, frankly I think it's great that there is finally talk about the system. What worries me is the government pandering to the fascist lunatics in some attempt to look "tough on immigration", words like "crackdown" and all the rest, totally missing the core source of these issues. As climate has more of an impact around the world, we're only going to see the numbers go up. So how do we build a system that welcomes people here, that looks after people who are seeking asylum legitimately, but key to this entire thing, is the processing times and how people are treated while waiting for a judgement on their applications to live here. People cannot simply sit in DP centres for decades because their appeal is at the bottom of a pile of other appeals. There has to be a more streamlined system to deal with appeals, a limit on the amount of appeals and some sort of time limit imposed - and not in a way that the State can run out the clock before deporting people. 

I do think many of the opinion polls only scratch the surface of what is bothering Irish people. If there were follow up questions and more detail, I would guess that most of the reasons behind people asking for tighter immigration or "Ireland agrees that we have too many immigrants" type headlines, is the same problems that have plagued us for decades - housing, health, public services. It's not the "single unvetted male of army age" who is taking away the ability for people to buy houses in their hometowns across the country. It's not the Ukrainian family fleeing war who has the hospital in Letterkenny in such a state that patients are "at risk of death" according to the consultants and GPs in Donegal just last October.

I also think the "open borders" and "flood of immigrants" narrative is not only far right lunacy and dangerous talk, it's wrong. I would ask people to read My Fourth Time We Drowned by Sally Hayden, or seek out a podcast she's been on talking about her book if you don't want to read it in full. What the EU are doing to "protect" it's borders is frankly disgraceful. I don't think there are many who would actually cheer on what is happening because of the EU Frontex agency and the concentration camps in Libya, no matter why many of these people are migrating. (As a side note, "economic migrants" is also a pet peeve phrase of mine. It makes the reason behind people migrating seem to be driven by pure greed. But what if a South Sudanese man has a pregnant wife and worries for her because South Sudan has the one of the highest infant, maternal and child mortality rates in the world? What if he wants to earn more money to try and pay for better healthcare for his wife and future child? Is that not a legitimate reason? But he will be classed an "economic migrant". It's bullsh*t.)

So I think it's totally legitimate for people to have issues with immigration policy in Ireland, to protest if they feel strongly enough about it. The system should absolutely change. As I said, what I worry about is the fascists co-opting these protests and this current focus on immigration. Pandering to the fascists by "cracking down" on immigration will not work. It will only make them bolder. No matter how tough the government gets on immigration, it won't be tough enough for these loopers. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 10:22am

Is it not a fair point?

This is the problem though. No one knows because the Government haven't said and they have repeatedly lied in similar circumstances. 

People have an absolute right to be concerned. It's how you express that concern that can become an issue.

If 500 Irish job seekers were put in there, people would have the same concerns

EDIT: You are entitled to feel it's a non issue and people entitled to be concerned. 

Let's be honest, this isn't true.
This conversation started as a concern about a lack of tourist places to stay in Drogheda (As an aside, are the Glenside and Boyne Valley not still there??) and it's quite quickly moved to being concerned with people "hanging around". 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 10:22am

Is it not a fair point?

You’re living in cloud cuckoo land 
Explain to me why exactly? 

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 10:27am

Is it not a fair point?

If 500 Irish job seekers were put in there, people would have the same concerns

Let's be honest, this isn't true.
This conversation started as a concern about a lack of tourist places to stay in Drogheda (As an aside, are the Glenside and Boyne Valley not still there??) and it's quite quickly moved to being concerned with people "hanging around". 

I think it is very much true. Sure people object to extra housing in their areas all the time.

It's a thread about immigration, so of course it is going to cover all areas, not just tourism

Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 10:28am
Going on the recent opinion poll this will be a big problem for Sinn Fein. Their voters were something like 70% opposed to more immigration. It could cost them in the election.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 10:29am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

I think anyone following the threads these conversations have been popping up would know my position on this whole thing, and to be honest I'll not be coming into this thread all that often after this for obvious enough reasons (or one reason in particular). Sorry ahead of time for the wall of text, and I'll say off the bat I'm a left wing socialist so feel free to ignore/skip. 

Activists who have been working in and around immigration in Ireland have been screaming about the system here and how broken it is for decades at this point. Direct Provision is a billion-euro industry. Anyone involved in accommodating Ukrainians will know the money involved. Take a look at this article in the Examiner, it's a few years old but I can't imagine much has really changed:

I would ask anyone who is angry about refugees being scroungers and "not working a day in their life (in Ireland)", only coming here for social welfare etc. - please read that article and see how much of your tax euros are actually being spent and where. Is it right that the government spend money like that on a broken system, or is it right that the most vulnerable in society get a few euro every week. What system has a more negative impact on Irish society? 

Asylum seekers and refugees have lived in horrific conditions in DP for years in spite of all that money in the industry (and it is an industry). The centres have been at capacity, adults living with children they don't know in the same rooms, this being flagged by the adults themselves because they're concerned for the welfare of these children. Kids going missing. Being given warmed up slop as food every day. Not allowed leave their accommodation. This article from the New Yorker, again a few years old, sums up the system well: 

Processing times from the IPO are a disgrace, and it's sort of typical Irish governmental policy as they have been completely laissez-faire about it for years. happy out with DP because it's lining a few pockets and there hasn't been a public groundswell about it, with no care or thought given to 
a) the human beings being treated like sh*t and 
b) what happens if the numbers spike for some reason out of Ireland's control

Now we're at B. The war in Ukraine has caused a huge spike in numbers, and the system completely collapses as a result. As someone who has been talking about this for a long time, frankly I think it's great that there is finally talk about the system. What worries me is the government pandering to the fascist lunatics in some attempt to look "tough on immigration", words like "crackdown" and all the rest, totally missing the core source of these issues. As climate has more of an impact around the world, we're only going to see the numbers go up. So how do we build a system that welcomes people here, that looks after people who are seeking asylum legitimately, but key to this entire thing, is the processing times and how people are treated while waiting for a judgement on their applications to live here. People cannot simply sit in DP centres for decades because their appeal is at the bottom of a pile of other appeals. There has to be a more streamlined system to deal with appeals, a limit on the amount of appeals and some sort of time limit imposed - and not in a way that the State can run out the clock before deporting people. 

I do think many of the opinion polls only scratch the surface of what is bothering Irish people. If there were follow up questions and more detail, I would guess that most of the reasons behind people asking for tighter immigration or "Ireland agrees that we have too many immigrants" type headlines, is the same problems that have plagued us for decades - housing, health, public services. It's not the "single unvetted male of army age" who is taking away the ability for people to buy houses in their hometowns across the country. It's not the Ukrainian family fleeing war who has the hospital in Letterkenny in such a state that patients are "at risk of death" according to the consultants and GPs in Donegal just last October.

I also think the "open borders" and "flood of immigrants" narrative is not only far right lunacy and dangerous talk, it's wrong. I would ask people to read My Fourth Time We Drowned by Sally Hayden, or seek out a podcast she's been on talking about her book if you don't want to read it in full. What the EU are doing to "protect" it's borders is frankly disgraceful. I don't think there are many who would actually cheer on what is happening because of the EU Frontex agency and the concentration camps in Libya, no matter why many of these people are migrating. (As a side note, "economic migrants" is also a pet peeve phrase of mine. It makes the reason behind people migrating seem to be driven by pure greed. But what if a South Sudanese man has a pregnant wife and worries for her because South Sudan has the one of the highest infant, maternal and child mortality rates in the world? What if he wants to earn more money to try and pay for better healthcare for his wife and future child? Is that not a legitimate reason? But he will be classed an "economic migrant". It's bullsh*t.)

So I think it's totally legitimate for people to have issues with immigration policy in Ireland, to protest if they feel strongly enough about it. The system should absolutely change. As I said, what I worry about is the fascists co-opting these protests and this current focus on immigration. Pandering to the fascists by "cracking down" on immigration will not work. It will only make them bolder. No matter how tough the government gets on immigration, it won't be tough enough for these loopers. 

Very good post.

But on the bold part, does there not have to be limits? What's to stop 2 million coming here is a few years if there are no rules?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
  Share Topic