Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 432>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Duff's a non-starter this time around anyway, needs to show he can stay somewhere for a decent period of time and manage successfully at a higher level before he can be considered for the Ireland job. Same as Robbie Keane I suppose, and John O'Shea too. If we're going down the ex Irish international road Carsley and Hughton would seem to be the only two realistic possibilities. Absolutely no reason to limit ourselves to ex players though.

Duff walked away and said he can;t work for the FAI.  He has ruled himself out with those comments.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 1:35pm
Comparing Hughton to Lennon, Duff etc is ridiculous. He won the championship with Newcastle accumulating over 100pts and had them playing attractive football in the PL before getting the boot from Ashley which was a crazy decision at the time. When he took over Brighton they were a shambles and he managed to get them to a playoff position then promotion, again playing good, or at minimum, effective football. He then kept them in the PL with practically no budget which is some achievement in hindsight and still managed to sign the likes of Gross, Bisouma and McAllister and a few others who were exceptional under Potter. He had a lot of misfortune with Forrest surrounding selection/injuries etc but probably could have no argument in the end regarding the sacking as his style of play wasn't great on the eye. At Norwich, he had them mid-table with little to no funds available for transfers and also got sacked earlier than deserved in quite a few fans opinions. Ghana were on the decline and were a sh*te show a lot earlier than when Hughton took over and he still managed to get them to a major tournament. The reasons the Ghananian FA, who are corrupt as f**k, are looking rid of Hughton is because he is looking to bring in a lot of youth and not rely on the old guard which the their FA aren't keen on(He is employed and paid by the Ghananian govt. and was brought in as technical director to try and sort the mess they're in.) He might not be anyone's first choice but, in my opinion, he's better than the majority of the names that has been fired out on here. You could argue would we be progressing with Hughton(I don't necessarily think we would) but unfortunately we find ourselves in a position were our only options are picking the best from a bad bunch and I wouldn't be that disappointed if he got the role.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 1:47pm
Hughton is a spent force (not that he was ever a notable force in the first place).

It will be the same as Mick. He'll come in, play a flat back 4 with Duffy as the linchpin, we'll eke out a few draws but fall short of automatic qualification anyway. We'll then hope for a playoff but lose it even if we get it. Rinse and repeat.
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 1:50pm
Who is your first choice then O'Shea? And your second if we can't get the first one?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Who is your first choice then O'Shea? And your second if we can't get the first one?

There are no good options - Carsley is probably the most promising of a mediocre bunch. If we can't get him, then Eustace or a left field appointment like Sagnol if that could be done. Hughton/Lennon/Coleman/Bruce etc to be avoided like the plague, I'd give Mick a 3rd spin before any of them.
We're decent enough..
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

duff unreliable? where has this come from? bizarre thing to come out with

Do you not remember that he walked away from his coaching job with us over a video? That is pretty unreliable in my book. If things don't go well, first  thing that doesn't go his way as Manager that he can pin the blame on someone else on, he would be off on some point of principle. 

You have come out with a few bizarre things yourself in the last twelve hours so wouldn't be throwing around statements like that. 

so what? he thought the whole situation was a joke and by the sounds of things he was right to take a stand. lads using the wembley-gate thing to show duff as unreliable but leaving out all the work hes done at underage and now senior at league of ireland level. the chap seems pretty reliable to me. would take him in a heartbeat over someone like mark hughes, hughton or lennon.

It suited Duff to get out at that point and if he takes a stand by walking away everytime he is upset by something that is pretty unreliable in my book. He appears to have left Kenny down badly. I certainly wouldn't hire him. 

Moreover, the choice isn't limited to Duff v Hughes, Houghton or Lennon. 

We would at this point be better off without a coach with 'emotional baggage'. 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Was just looking at Hughtons club record, he has been rightly screwed over by clubs. Did a great job at Newcastle & Brighton.

I see Herve Renards name being bandied about online.

What about his last club job? Had Nottingham Forest bottom of the league. Once he was sacked, the new manager took them to promotion within the same season!
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 2:19pm
I think expecting our next manager to have a blemish free CV is unrealistic, there are bound to be some failures along the way. As well as good technical know-how, they really do need to be good leaders. We have not had that in the last 3 years, not just from the manager, but no leaders on the pitch either unfortunately.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 2:37pm
Alex Bruce touting his dad for the Ireland job in the Sunday Times today. 

The one positive I take from it is that it is of interest given the likely salary on offer and where we currently are at. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Mark Hughes is a Blackburn legend, maybe he would bring in Sammy?

In all seriousness, he probably is worth giving a call to

A 38% win rate in league Two over 80 games with Bradford, sacked with them lying in 18th place. We can hopefully do better! If this is the kind of market we are operating in then I'd prefer Duffer!

Bradford aside, he did ok in other roles. One of his criticisms was he was trying to play a premier league style with league 2 players, as bad as we are we are a mixed bag of premier league and championship so it’s
About Hughes level he is use to. Worthy of an interview if he was interested I think.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 2:55pm

The one positive I take from it is that it is of interest given the likely salary on offer and where we currently are at. 

Bruce has been out of management for nearly a year now and is in his 60s so I can well imagine an international job close to home would be of interest alright. In fairness to him his managerial record isn't as bad as I thought it was, very hit and miss overall though and, similar to Hughton, his last job in England was a bit of a disaster. A bit mental that Wigan once paid a world record compensation fee to take him from Birmingham City.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 3:06pm
I just dont see Bruce inspiring this group. He may steady the ship but dont think it would be enough. At the moment were in a downward spiral. He is the type that might just make us plateau but not bring is on an upward curve which is what we need. Who can do that im not sure. As i said previously Petkovic looks very appealing to me. Did a great job with the Swiss albeit they have had much better players over the last while than we have or had.

Edited by doherty - 19 Nov 2023 at 3:09pm
I love beer gardens
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 3:10pm
Suspended. Homophobic abuse.

Edited by Sham157 - 19 Nov 2023 at 4:31pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 3:34pm

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Eustace for me, but if we are genuinely broke, I honestly have been impressed with Duff, I think if we have to take a gamble, he's the best option rather than a Roy or Robbie Keane. I would point out that I dont support a Dublin LoI club, so I dont have any baggage from that pov. As an outsider looking in, he seems to have created a very solid outfit at Shelbourne and I have no problem with his straight talking, the FAI probably need a bit of a kick in the hole.
He has a bit of a needle with the FAI that led him to quit the management team? 

Don't think either Eustace or Duff did enough in their coaching roles with us (which we can see now, Kenny was really dependent on) to make them attractive candidates. Duff is also unreliable and wouldn’t be able to cope with the criticism - and is also an awful moaner - no thanks. 

But Robbie is the right man LOL
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Eustace for me, but if we are genuinely broke, I honestly have been impressed with Duff, I think if we have to take a gamble, he's the best option rather than a Roy or Robbie Keane. I would point out that I dont support a Dublin LoI club, so I dont have any baggage from that pov. As an outsider looking in, he seems to have created a very solid outfit at Shelbourne and I have no problem with his straight talking, the FAI probably need a bit of a kick in the hole.
He has a bit of a needle with the FAI that led him to quit the management team? 

Don't think either Eustace or Duff did enough in their coaching roles with us (which we can see now, Kenny was really dependent on) to make them attractive candidates. Duff is also unreliable and wouldn’t be able to cope with the criticism - and is also an awful moaner - no thanks. 

But Robbie is the right man LOL

Would have him over Duff in a heartbeat. He certainly would stick around longer (maybe even too long!) LOL

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 4:33pm
What about St. Jude?

He's the patron saint of hopeless cases
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 4:53pm
The shower of sh*te at the FAI better get this one right or we’ll be set back another 5 years. If it’s not Carsley, then, I dread to think of who it could end up being tbh. I can’t see them thinking outside the box at all, which means it’ll probably be one of the names on the current bookies’ lists. Grim.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2023 at 5:14pm

Tge salary we are offering is competitive for most manager especially continental it’s only premiership and championship where it isn’t competitive and we shoukdnt be looking there anyway 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 432>
  Share Topic