Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 415416417418419 434>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by MrWhitty MrWhitty wrote:

I think Dean Smith would be another good appointment. Took Villa from the bottom of the Championship to the PL, would John Terry be interested to come with him. I do think it's vital we get a team together with experience, contacts and know how. 

Another name who still has something too offer is Tony Pulis. If you look at his Stoke days we'd absolutely love to have an international version of what they were doing. Pulis knew how to utilise what he had. 

I think it's time to stop the overplayed rhetoric now of it's a transitional team, and start getting results to build confidence. Jack Charlton didn't play attractive football, we still had a statue of him in Cork Airport.
But for me, it's vital we get a team with whoever our new manager is. 

John Terry. Hello McFly anybody in there????!!!!
I love beer gardens
Sponsored Links

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Hatsoff Hatsoff wrote:

Is there a wily, old fox type manager from Croatia or another former Yugoslavia country that's done the rounds but is available now?

I remember a few months ago someone suggested him but I can't remember the name.

Not Bilic, someone older than that.

Vladimir Petković
MrWhitty View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrWhitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:43pm
I think Dean Smith would be another good appointment. Took Villa from the bottom of the Championship to the PL, would John Terry be interested to come with him. I do think it's vital we get a team together with experience, contacts and know how. 

Another name who still has something too offer is Tony Pulis. If you look at his Stoke days we'd absolutely love to have an international version of what they were doing. Pulis knew how to utilise what he had. 

I think it's time to stop the overplayed rhetoric now of it's a transitional team, and start getting results to build confidence. Jack Charlton didn't play attractive football, we still had a statue of him in Cork Airport.
But for me, it's vital we get a team with whoever our new manager is. 

Edited by MrWhitty - 22 Nov 2023 at 9:44pm
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:43pm
Neil O'Riordan reporting Carsley is the preferred candidate and a formal approach is expected to be made shortly.

FAI hope to make a swift appointment 
Hatsoff View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatsoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:43pm
Is there a wily, old fox type manager from Croatia or another former Yugoslavia country that's done the rounds but is available now?

I remember a few months ago someone suggested him but I can't remember the name.

Not Bilic, someone older than that.
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:39pm
My wishlist

Kieran McKenna
Herve Renard
Anthony Barry
Lee Carsley
Rafael Benitez
Gus Poyet

Any of those I'd be pleased with

Ones I would be appalled by

Steve Bruce
Neil Lennon
Roy Keane
Sam Allardyce

Neither happy or unhappy

Chris Wilder
Chris Hughton
Linzark
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by MrWhitty MrWhitty wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Absolutely no disrespect to Steve Bruce but it would be the least inspiring appointment ever. Lazy. 

Take their time, get a panel together and deep dive into suitable candidates.

I am not sure I entirely agree. There's an argument Bruce has always done better when his back is against the wall. Hull City, Wigan, Birmingham. There's definitely better candidates available but Steve Bruce deserves to have a chat with the FAI his CV is one of the best we're probably going to attract. Hasn't had an opportunity with an international side either, for me Steve Bruce is a monumental step up from Stephen Kenny. 

I think we need to look a bit deeper than the manager as well, we need a good coaching set up to arrive. If it's Bruce you'd really want Eric Black, Steve Agnew people Bruce trusts. Not a figure who the FAI think the fans will like. As pointed out earlier Kenny failed to inspire anyone from overseas to declare for Ireland of any real note, its absolute vital we get someone in to change that. 

Agreed. Bruce is not a fancy name or some fancy European but he has a very solid record. He would be a safe bet, probably a bit boring but someone who would make us difficult to beat. We are in a bit of a mess at the minute, confidence is low and we don't know our best 11- we need a safe pair of hands. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Hatsoff View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatsoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:36pm
What do people think of Dean Smith?

Assuming he'd take the job, would it be a good appointment?

I always think the wiley, old fox type experienced manager is best for international management.
They've less time and fewer decisions to make, so each decision must be better.
It's not the place to learn on the job.

I'm not referring to Dean Smith here, he's still youngish.

The problem with wily, old fox types, is if the game has advanced too much with modern tactics such as pressing, transitions, box midfields etc.
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

Keane is getting too much money for old rope on the Sky gig to give it up for a bi-annual training ground bust up

Keane should be nowhere near the job, the only reason his name is being thrown around is because of his media presence and hes Irish / ex Ireland International. 

He hasnt managed in 13 years and he was mediocre manager back then too. 

You wouldn't entertain the idea of anyone else with CV like that.

We might as well throw David O'Learys name out there, hes managed more recently than Roy!

This
Linzark
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

Keane is getting too much money for old rope on the Sky gig to give it up for a bi-annual training ground bust up

Keane should be nowhere near the job, the only reason his name is being thrown around is because of his media presence and hes Irish / ex Ireland International. 

He hasnt managed in 13 years and he was mediocre manager back then too. 

You wouldn't entertain the idea of anyone else with CV like that.

We might as well throw David O'Learys name out there, hes managed more recently than Roy!

Edited by Bandwagon - 22 Nov 2023 at 9:34pm
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I'd be against Lee Carsley.  Never managed at senior level bar brief interim manager jobs.   Another gamble when we need someone less of a risk.

Completely agree. Not for me either.
The only way is up
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:25pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Hatsoff Hatsoff wrote:

Does Roy Keane go around to different training grounds learning modern methods do people think?

Eddie Howe did similar before Newcastle job. He went to Italy and Spain I think.

Roy would have lots of connections still.
I still wouldn't appoint him although it might be likely as he's available and undoubtedly "box office".
I'd prefer if he proved himself in the Championship for example. He wouldn't get a PL job.

When one of Roy’s players challenged him about the lack of tactical instruction, Keano smashed up the whiteboard to show the team the value he attributes to strategy. 
El Puto Amo
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:20pm

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

FAI just confirmed Kenny's exit as manager.

Daily Mirror Elvis Presley Is Dead 17/8/77 Original Newspaper -  CharityStars
LOL
Hatsoff View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatsoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:09pm
Does Roy Keane go around to different training grounds learning modern methods do people think?

Eddie Howe did similar before Newcastle job. He went to Italy and Spain I think.

Roy would have lots of connections still.
I still wouldn't appoint him although it might be likely as he's available and undoubtedly "box office".
I'd prefer if he proved himself in the Championship for example. He wouldn't get a PL job.
MrWhitty View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrWhitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 8:49pm

Absolutely no disrespect to Steve Bruce but it would be the least inspiring appointment ever. Lazy. 

Take their time, get a panel together and deep dive into suitable candidates.

I am not sure I entirely agree. There's an argument Bruce has always done better when his back is against the wall. Hull City, Wigan, Birmingham. There's definitely better candidates available but Steve Bruce deserves to have a chat with the FAI his CV is one of the best we're probably going to attract. Hasn't had an opportunity with an international side either, for me Steve Bruce is a monumental step up from Stephen Kenny. 

I think we need to look a bit deeper than the manager as well, we need a good coaching set up to arrive. If it's Bruce you'd really want Eric Black, Steve Agnew people Bruce trusts. Not a figure who the FAI think the fans will like. As pointed out earlier Kenny failed to inspire anyone from overseas to declare for Ireland of any real note, its absolute vital we get someone in to change that. 

Edited by MrWhitty - 22 Nov 2023 at 8:50pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 8:31pm

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

FAI just confirmed Kenny's exit as manager.

Daily Mirror Elvis Presley Is Dead 17/8/77 Original Newspaper -  CharityStars

Classic LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 8:27pm
Thanks.

That's big news 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 415416417418419 434>
  Share Topic