You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 284285286287288 433>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanachie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

Georgia are quite average in terms of players outside of Mamardashvili (GK), Kvaratskhelia and Mikautadze.

Trying to be defensively sound while depending on the latter two above to score the goals is logical.

That's fair enough but, apart from an ability to dispatch weaker sides, Sagnol hasn't made Georgia any better than they were seven or eight years ago, even when they now have a world-class player. People on here think he would be a good appointment because they see Georgia in the play-offs, The fact is they're only there after negotiating a League C group that we'd expect to win. There's zero evidence to suggest he'd do a good job with us.
Sponsored Links

baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 9:55am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by DC96 DC96 wrote:

The only thing we can be certain of is that the eventual reveal will likely be both disappointing and hilariously depressing in a way only Irish football can deliver.

It will be O'Shea.

I mean, why does he need to have a full back room of staff for 2 friendly games? there has a been a lot of talk around this. Just seems OTT.

I believe that the FAI put all their eggs in the Carsley basket and that fell through - O'Shea has now been briefed on this and will accept that he was not the #1 target.

He will do well in the 2 games coming up, with a strong squad and the good performances will make it an easier sell for the FAI to the public.

And he's assembled ex-Irish internationals in his back room team.. So they'll use the old JD trick when appointing - keep the LOI and people who liked him as a player. Cheap and cheerful - Move on.. 
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Seanachie Seanachie wrote:

Georgia are quite average in terms of players outside of Mamardashvili (GK), Kvaratskhelia and Mikautadze.

Trying to be defensively sound while depending on the latter two above to score the goals is logical.

That's fair enough but, apart from an ability to dispatch weaker sides, Sagnol hasn't made Georgia any better than they were seven or eight years ago, even when they now have a world-class player. People on here think he would be a good appointment because they see Georgia in the play-offs, The fact is they're only there after negotiating a League C group that we'd expect to win. There's zero evidence to suggest he'd do a good job with us.

He wouldn't be my 1st choice, but I'd be content with a 2 year deal now that Carsley is ruled out.

There are no perfect candidates. He'd be a decent option. I'd take him over O'Shea without hesitation.

He has international experience at both U21 level and senior level. He's shown that he can adapt to managing a smaller nation. He's used to working with young players, and we have a lot of U23 players.

It really wouldn't be a bad appointment. I'd also take Poyet on a 2 year deal.

Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:01am

They have Sazonov coming through as well, unit of a CB at Torino. Have a pretty solid spine of a tem there with two likely world class players, more than what we can say.

I thought we literally created the Sagnol rumours ourselves here anyway?
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:01am
I was certain it wasn't Carsley for quite a while now and would have always thought O'Shea has a great chance here. Too many seem to take FAI PR speak at face value 

Like Horse, Sham and a a couple of others, I'm leaving more and more towards O'Shea.
Seanachie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanachie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:03am

He wouldn't be my 1st choice, but I'd be content with a 2 year deal now that Carsley is ruled out.

There are no perfect candidates. He'd be a decent option. I'd take him over O'Shea without hesitation.

He has international experience at both U21 level and senior level. He's shown that he can adapt to managing a smaller nation. He's used to working with young players, and we have a lot of U23 players.

I agree that he's less of a risk than O'Shea but I don't see anything other than another wasted two years with him at the helm. Poyet is far more convincing an option even if I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about him either.

Edited by Seanachie - 21 Mar 2024 at 10:04am
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:10am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

I was certain it wasn't Carsley for quite a while now and would have always thought O'Shea has a great chance here. Too many seem to take FAI PR speak at face value 

Like Horse, Sham and a a couple of others, I'm leaving more and more towards O'Shea.

Sorry guys lets look at the facts. 3 weeks ago or whatever it was Canham said the things were at an advanced stage and an announcment would be made in early April. He then said something along the lines of existing contractual obligations prevented them from announcing it until then, i'm paraphrasing a bit. Now unless at that stage they and Carsley were still in advanced negotiations (although if you believe Carsley they just had a chat and a nice cup of tea, no more) then in no possible world could it be O'Shea. NO WAY HOSE!!!! There is no coming back from that now to say actually John is the best candidate. If this happens then the guy would look absolutely ridiculous to everybody. People come on wake up. 
I love beer gardens
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:12am

I agree that he's less of a risk than O'Shea but I don't see anything other than another wasted two years with him at the helm. Poyet is far more convincing an option even if I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about him either.

That's the reality we are in. There are no candidates who anyone could be 100% sure of. Not even Carsley.

We'll just have to hope for the best.

The one plus to a foreign manager/coach is that we usually qualify for tournaments under them. MON is the only manager born on these shores who has qualified for a tournament. #BigWillyStyle
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:24am
Anthony Barry’s contract situation may be revealing. Presumably he is out at Bayern Munich with Tuchel though he is still working with Portugal. He’s still behind Sagnol and Poyet in the betting so might be a decent value wager.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Anthony Barry’s contract situation may be revealing. Presumably he is out at Bayern Munich with Tuchel though he is still working with Portugal. He’s still behind Sagnol and Poyet in the betting so might be a decent value wager.

Canham said (i know) that the candidate will start working, full time, from April. That was in response to journalists asking if it was someone with a club role.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:37am
I hope it's not O'Shea and I'm not convinced it will be, although my mind is changing on a daily basis. After Kenny, we need some expereince and stability and I dont think O'Shea can bring that.

We were out of the previous campaigns almost immediately so we need someone who can maximise whats available to him and at minimum, at least be competitive in qualifying campaigns. While Carsley fitted the profile, he was also a risk and I think O'Shea is much more of risk. If it was someone coming in with O'Shea's experience and wasn't Irish, we'd be baffled.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:38am
I'd be leaning towards O'Shea too because the man in the seat at the moment has a chance. 

But the only reason why I wouldn't think he is the front runner is the man who is in charge of the recruitment has said this is the case and someone else is lined up. 

Now like I also said yesterday, they can always turn around and say that things have changed, e.g. if they can no longer get their Number 1 target.

A lot of people are also assuming that we will get 2 good results and that will put O'Shea more in the driving seat. We will most likely lose to Belgium and draw with Switzerland.

Edited by t_rAndy - 21 Mar 2024 at 10:39am
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:42am

Tbf they absolutely obliterated that Nations League group. North Macedonia and Bulgaria in it. No mean feat for a team like Georgia and were involved in one of the horror qualifying Groups with Spain,Scotland and Norway.

Anything better than 4th would have been an absolute miracle and again they beat Cyprus twice. Got results against Norway and Scotland. 
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:43am
O'Shea would basically going down the Staunton route again. A fairly high profile former player and legend of Ireland. 

Staunton played for Liverpool, O'Shea played for United. Both have over 100 caps. Both had/have never managed before.

The only difference is that O'She has a few years of actual coaching experience. Staunton had none.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:44am
Belguim have Lukaku and De Breuyne missing, maybe more. We can take those chumps down town.
I love beer gardens
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:45am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

In the press conference to announce O'Shea being the interim Canham was asked if O'Shea was getting the job and he said not this time. I can't find the video of it but if somebody has it then you will see that is what he said. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:46am
Why are some lads still talking about Sagnol.LOL

His name only cropped up because of someome taking the piss on here and Neil O'Riordan deciding to run with it from reading here.

Edited by Denis Irwin - 21 Mar 2024 at 11:01am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:49am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Belguim have Lukaku and De Breuyne missing, maybe more. We can take those chumps down town.

They wouldn't have played anyway. Belgium are set to only use players with a certain amount of caps vs us.

Doku, Bakayoko, De Ketelaere and Openda are more than capable.

We should be able to cause them some problems at the other end though. They're weaker in defence these days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 284285286287288 433>
  Share Topic