You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 411412413414415 430>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Just read the Canham statement and his "apology". With no explanation whatsoever as to why the process was not completed in "early April" as promised. No explanation in relation to "contractual obligations". An apology without an explanation is not good enough. An apology with an explanation would still probably not be good enough! If something went seriously wrong they should just state that. They don't have to name any individual or throw anyone under the bus. Canham will be gone by end of year anyway, but if he has any integrity he should just go now.

You spent months telling everyone how wrong they were when it was as obvious as the sky being blue what was happening. You tried to discredit every single journalist as being unreliable, every single forum member who voiced concern as idiotic.

You're never leaving this down.

LOLLOLLOLLOL
I do apologise, if I in any way, appeared to dismiss or diminish your grave concerns on this matter. I was wrong, my opinion was wrong, I chose to believe Canham, as opposed to, say believing someone like you. For that I will will be eternally regretful. Further, I can offer you my full assurance that in the future I will believe our intrepid football correspondents, even when on a daily basis, they announce so and so is now firmly "in the frame". And of course, we will have daily updates from our journos for the next 6 months. Please continue to closely monitor my posts for any future egregious opinions which lie outside the YBIG Overton window.
Sincerely,
Jonathan.
Sponsored Links

SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:00pm
the greatest fans in the world who turn on each other with one slight difference in opinion 😂
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Why do people think they had someone lined up?
There was never any agreement and all the deadlines were to buy more time IMO

We have been knocked back again and again on this, as has been reported.   

Because you'd hardly say it if it wasn't true in my opinion.
There was no need to say it - Could have just said they need a bit more time and leave it at that. If you give out unnecessary information then I would think it would be true. 

That's just my reading of it. 

But it wasn't true because here we are with no one. Surely they would have clarified it today if they did.

IMO they were overly confident of getting Poyet or Sagnol. 
It could have been true and somebody backed out.
But I definitely think that point should have been addressed today. 

Yea surely they would have said that. 

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Well I hope the Kenny Out brigade are happy now. They have gotten us into this mess
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

If the FAI are a circus then Kenny was the Ringmaster . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:07pm
September like! How Canham kept a straight face during that interview is beyond me.

Robbing a living. Whole "process" is an embarrassment.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:07pm

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Just read the Canham statement and his "apology". With no explanation whatsoever as to why the process was not completed in "early April" as promised. No explanation in relation to "contractual obligations". An apology without an explanation is not good enough. An apology with an explanation would still probably not be good enough! If something went seriously wrong they should just state that. They don't have to name any individual or throw anyone under the bus. Canham will be gone by end of year anyway, but if he has any integrity he should just go now.

You spent months telling everyone how wrong they were when it was as obvious as the sky being blue what was happening. You tried to discredit every single journalist as being unreliable, every single forum member who voiced concern as idiotic.

You're never leaving this down.

LOLLOLLOLLOL
I do apologise, if I in any way, appeared to dismiss or diminish your grave concerns on this matter. I was wrong, my opinion was wrong, I chose to believe Canham, as opposed to, say believing someone like you. For that I will will be eternally regretful. Further, I can offer you my full assurance that in the future I will believe our intrepid football correspondents, even when on a daily basis, they announce so and so is now firmly "in the frame". And of course, we will have daily updates from our journos for the next 6 months. Please continue to closely monitor my posts for any future egregious opinions which lie outside the YBIG Overton window.
Sincerely,
Jonathan.

Your problem was your blind distrust with the reporters. 
They have been, by and large, on the ball for the whole process. 

Names were 'firmly' linked as they were talked to. 

Is there even one name what was reported on that was wrong?

Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:27pm
How the fack did we end up with a 39 year old Englishman who spells Mark with a c as our Director of Football?
scottyccfc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:29pm
Sagnol it is then.
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

Sagnol it is then.

We need to start looking around Georgia for some potential granny rule candidates.

We let the Finnish steal Daniel O'Shaughnessy from under our noses. Wink
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

Sagnol it is then.

Well if it is then he would not be a disaster. Just we could do with him or someone appointed asap!!
I love beer gardens
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

How the fack did we end up with a 39 year old Englishman who spells Mark with a c as our Director of Football?

Keep Marc Wilson's name out your f**kin' mouth! Yes. KEEP. MARC WILSON'S NAME. OUT YOUR f**kIN' MOUTH!
I will be in the bar
With my head on the bar
I am now a central part
Of your mind's landscape
Whether you care or do not
Inkennywetrust View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkennywetrust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:45pm

Why do people think they had someone lined up?
There was never any agreement and all the deadlines were to buy more time IMO

We have been knocked back again and again on this, as has been reported.   

Because you'd hardly say it if it wasn't true in my opinion.
There was no need to say it - Could have just said they need a bit more time and leave it at that. If you give out unnecessary information then I would think it would be true. 

That's just my reading of it. 

But it wasn't true because here we are with no one. Surely they would have clarified it today if they did.

IMO they were overly confident of getting Poyet or Sagnol. 

If Daniel McDonnell was correct then they were convinced Georgia would lose in the playoffs and were left scrambling when that didn't happen. 

I think they made the statement that they had someone ready for an April announcement for PR reasons so they could claim they had lined up Sagnol months in advance and it wasn't a kneejerk hiring after his team lost and suddenly became available. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:46pm
Are we not all overreacting here a bit?

Like, its not ideal we don't have a manger in place by now but its far better than having a panicked appointment and giving it to Lennon, Bruce, Big Sam or whoever threw their name out there because they cant find work absolutely anywhere else. Or in O'Shea's case because he has zero managerial experience.

This is a year where there is f**k all competitive football for us, the Nations League means little this year leading into a World Cup campaign. If it was leading into a Euros, it would be completely different with a playoff at stake but thats not the case here. Not Pep, Klopp or Ancelotti would have us winning the Nations League, so forget about that.

I think Canham is being harshly slatted for sticking to his guns here and the FAIs criteria for a manager. At any point they could have just been straight on the phone to any of the names above and given it to them, but they haven't.

I believe Carsley was their no.1 target and he turned down as on record to remain with England u21s and they had to go back to the drawing board ..and I believe it was probably Sagnol that was lined up last month but then as we know qualified for the Euros with Georgia.

The main criticism I will give Canham and the FAI here is their handling of the media or lack there of. It was naive to first announce they wanted a manager in place for the NL draw in February, then say they wanted someone in for the March games AND THEN say they will make an announcement in early April.  That was all a shambles, like learn from your mistakes!

..and even today, though a statement and apology was made, for me it still wasn't transparent enough. I think if he was more forthcoming that they couldnt secure their main targets and they werent happy with the other candidates, fans would have been more accepting of that rather than giving politician like answers that avoided the real questions.

Anyway, I'll still continue to give him and anyone else the benefit of the doubt until September.

If they were to announce Sagnol after the Euros, I think the majority of fans would be happier with that than the current alternatives. I know I would.
Sham96 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:58pm
Sagnol is the new Carsley. There is nothing to suggest Sagnol is interested. The fact Canham said September rather than post Euros should tell people that. They have nobody lined up. That's why he said September. 
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Like, its not ideal we don't have a manger in place by now but its far better than having a panicked appointment and giving it to Lennon, Bruce, Big Sam or whoever threw their name out there because they cant find work absolutely anywhere else. Or in O'Shea's case because he has zero managerial experience.

This is a year where there is f**k all competitive football for us, the Nations League means little this year leading into a World Cup campaign. If it was leading into a Euros, it would be completely different with a playoff at stake but thats not the case here. Not Pep, Klopp or Ancelotti would have us winning the Nations League, so forget about that.

I think Canham is being harshly slatted for sticking to his guns here and the FAIs criteria for a manager. At any point they could have just been straight on the phone to any of the names above and given it to them, but they haven't.

I believe Carsley was their no.1 target and he turned down as on record to remain with England u21s and they had to go back to the drawing board ..and I believe it was probably Sagnol that was lined up last month but then as we know qualified for the Euros with Georgia.

The main criticism I will give Canham and the FAI here is their handling of the media or lack there of. It was naive to first announce they wanted a manager in place for the NL draw in February, then say they wanted someone in for the March games AND THEN say they will make an announcement in early April.  That was all a shambles, like learn from your mistakes!

..and even today, though a statement and apology was made, for me it still wasn't transparent enough. I think if he was more forthcoming that they couldnt secure their main targets and they werent happy with the other candidates, fans would have been more accepting of that rather than giving politician like answers that avoided the real questions.

Anyway, I'll still continue to give him and anyone else the benefit of the doubt until September.

If they were to announce Sagnol after the Euros, I think the majority of fans would be happier with that than the current alternatives. I know I would.

We play England twice, so it's actually important not to suffer another 4-0 stuffing after going decades unbeaten against them.

The guards are to be rang would be my assessment with regards to the bolded above.

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 3:03pm

I'd be relaxed enough about the no manager situation too. I'm guessing we'll have somebody on board by around mid-July or so. It's not as if having a manager in place for the two early summer friendlies was going to be a massive deal breaker.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 3:10pm

Not really. We're 27th in the UEFA rankings and would need to get to 24th to become second seeds for the WC. Fully believe a confident pragmatic manager could get the results needed against Greece and Finland to hopefully see us move a few spaces up the rankings.

We looked out of our depth against these teams because we'd a manager like your man Ernest from Ernest Goes to Camp on the sidelines making decisions.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2024 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

We play England twice, so it's actually important not to suffer another 4-0 stuffing after going decades unbeaten against them.

We lost 3-0 to them 4 years ago under Kenny.

As did Wales 2 years ago.

Scotland lost 3-1 to them last year.

Thats our current level. We're not beating them with whatever manager is charge with whatever team we put out.

All that I expect of us at present is to be competitive for 2nd palce with teams of similar standard of us like Greece and Finland.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 411412413414415 430>
  Share Topic