You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 397398399400401 430>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 9:00am

Latest from Dan McDonnell:

"The FAI’s timeline for the appointment of a new Ireland boss has been pushed back again with Chris Hughton the latest candidate to receive a fresh approach.

Media had been put on notice for the announcement of Stephen Kenny’s successor this week, but this is no longer on the cards with the process once again clouded in uncertainty."

Sponsored Links

Sham96 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 9:08am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Latest from Dan McDonnell:

"The FAI’s timeline for the appointment of a new Ireland boss has been pushed back again with Chris Hughton the latest candidate to receive a fresh approach.

Media had been put on notice for the announcement of Stephen Kenny’s successor this week, but this is no longer on the cards with the process once again clouded in uncertainty."

The leaking of Chris Hughton's name follows their previous playbook leaks in that look we are doing everything but the fact they have no manager tells us Hughton has already turned them down. 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 9:13am
It's a pantomime. It would make for great viewing on one of those Netflix documentaries, although it would come across a football version of Spinal Tap. The Galacticos.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 17 Apr 2024 at 9:18am
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Maybe the FAI have actually played a blinder and we are going revolutionise world football by being the 1st team to play constantly without a manager 

A sort of "false" manager?

https://youtu.be/wlMwc1c0HRQ?si=087M4jsWtMHdUWrthttp://https://youtu.be/wlMwc1c0HRQ?si=087M4jsWtMHdUWrt

Edited by rebelbrowser - 17 Apr 2024 at 3:45pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 9:56am
But it's also the conditions of the deal that appear to be turning a lot of prospective coaches off (other than O'Shea who is desperate for a start somewhere). It was Canham who set those conditions versus the old FAI. 

I always said the salary is not good enough to attract a name of an experienced coach who is expecting to be more in Abbotstown outside of International weeks. The salary is only attractive to an experienced coach who is taking it under the old school part-time manner of flying into Ireland for international week or the odd promotional work but the rest of the time is watching the players at matches in England. 

That's then only talking financially, when we add in the parts of not having your own staff etc. that is a big part of where we are now scraping the barrel. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 17 Apr 2024 at 9:57am
Sham96 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:03am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

But it's also the conditions of the deal that appear to be turning a lot of prospective coaches off (other than O'Shea who is desperate for a start somewhere). It was Canham who set those conditions versus the old FAI. 

I always said the salary is not good enough to attract a name of an experienced coach who is expecting to be more in Abbotstown outside of International weeks. The salary is only attractive to an experienced coach who is taking it under the old school part-time manner of flying into Ireland for international week or the odd promotional work but the rest of the time is watching the players at matches in England. 

That's then only talking financially, when we add in the parts of not having your own staff etc. that is a big part of where we are now scraping the barrel. 

Spot on. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:10am

How are other countries able to get these coaches for similar wages?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:11am
Unfortunately that’s where we’re at Andy. The financial constraints, the constrains on certain autonomy in the job, the current status of the team, and the playing pool make this a generally unattractive job for anybody in work. The next stage of candidate is the best you can find who are out of work, and they will equally not be willing to work in these conditions having worked in better environments before hand. Unfortunately, that leaves the desperate candidates, or the candidates who don’t have much to offer and as a result come with little negotiation power.

The Sagnol link interests me. But my feeling is that when you take everything into account it will ultimately be JOS. There may be a senior figure appointed like Bobby Robson was in 2006, but given what is in the public domain right now the pool of candidates must be very limited indeed.
scottyccfc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:18am
What we would do for Neil Lennon now Big smile
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
nice triangles View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Unfortunately that’s where we’re at Andy. The financial constraints, the constrains on certain autonomy in the job, the current status of the team, and the playing pool make this a generally unattractive job for anybody in work. The next stage of candidate is the best you can find who are out of work, and they will equally not be willing to work in these conditions having worked in better environments before hand. Unfortunately, that leaves the desperate candidates, or the candidates who don’t have much to offer and as a result come with little negotiation power.

The Sagnol link interests me. But my feeling is that when you take everything into account it will ultimately be JOS. There may be a senior figure appointed like Bobby Robson was in 2006, but given what is in the public domain right now the pool of candidates must be very limited indeed.
Yep, I get a feeling that we are slow walking towards JOS getting the gig. Agree with the reasons outlined above, also plenty of other countries have a similar budget to ourselves but don't find themselves in this mess. I don't think we can downplay how incompetent the FAI have been in all this. Their reputation across the continent in football circles has to be on the floor. They are the monorail of national associations. I said on this forum after Canham's 'early April' declaration that it was clearly horse sh*t, and he was just buying time. The usual FAI employee posters on here were on like a shot to shoot me down. The fact that there are obviously association employees on this arguing with the likes of us says it all.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

How are other countries able to get these coaches for similar wages?

Because they can play football
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:26am
The FAI.  The ambulance chasers of international football.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:26am
Canham's insistence on having a say on any potential candidates backroom team is a huge, if not foremost, caveat in all of this. I'm not aware of any association that has or would request this. 

Also, the optics of it is not doing any favours for O'Shea's pedigree, with it looking like he's just hanging around waiting to be the last pick if all else fails.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Canham's insistence on having a say on any potential candidates backroom team is a huge, if not foremost, caveat in all of this. I'm not aware of any association that has or would request this. 

Also, the optics of it is not doing any favours for O'Shea's pedigree, with it looking like he's just hanging around waiting to be the last pick if all else fails.

He's never publically said he wanted this. It's just paper speculation. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:32am

It's all speculation, Borussia. Including Canham himself who clearly was speculating.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:36am
Sagnol has made some pretty questionable "racial" statements in the past, a lot of outlets would hop on them if he was appointed and it could get a bit ugly.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:37am
Fallon's article:

O’Shea did confirm he’s been assured of a role in the new management set-up, even as assistant, but hadn’t been contacted by any of the prospective candidates he’d have history with such as Gus Poyet or Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

He’s not even certain that he’d be open to fulfilling the role he did for the latter part of the Kenny era.

“It just depends,” said the 42-year-old today, at Lansdowne Road in his role as ambassador for the Europa League final being staged there on May 22.

“I can’t answer that; I don’t know who it’s going to be. There have been some brilliant people who have been mentioned about it, different people who I’ve worked with before, and played alongside. It will be interesting to see what happens but for me it is a case of wait and see.” 

The centurion has no issue with the process dragging on.

“Whoever the next permanent manager is going to be, we want them to hopefully be the right person for the job and to be someone who really wants the job. If that takes a bit of time, so be it.”

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:40am

It's all speculation, Borussia. Including Canham himself who clearly was speculating.
Canhams own words:

"We do want a coach who will come in and work with us in partnership and create that coaching team around it.

It’ll be a bit of a hybrid. Sure, the head coach will have some people he wants to bring in but I see it as a partnership where they’re not bringing in their own team."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 397398399400401 430>
  Share Topic