You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 429>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:57am
Rather Keane than Poyet! Poyet openly touting for other jobs whilst in a job shows what he's about. 
Sponsored Links

Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:58am
Originally posted by razzmatazaz razzmatazaz wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Keane would break Szammie's jaw for wearing a shortened trouser and no socks
The more I hear about Keane's physical altercations, the more I think he's all bark and no bite. Jon Walters and Graham Kavanagh fairly put it up to him.

He had fisticuffs with Peter Schmeichel in the hallway of a hotel and it woke Sir Bobby Charlton up.

Keano doesn't like Big Peter. 

I'd agree though. There are lads out there who would take him in a fight if they stood up to him.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Keane will be angry and shout at the players and make them play better, some people think. There's actually a friend of mine who says he should get the United job every time they lose a match so he could give the players some home truths. 

Its cult-like the Keane following

The whole world of the workplace has changed. That stuff might have been acceptable in the 1970s and 80s, but no manager in any job would get away with it in 2024. It's a football team, not a British Army parade ground from 1950.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:05pm
So this is the latest what the media can throw at us , hey when we do get a new manager sure most of us won't care too much  anyway . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

So this is the latest what the media can throw at us , hey when we do get a new manager sure most of us won't care too much  anyway . 

Are you saying if a journalists finds out that the fai have met with Keane 3 times they shouldn’t report on it ? 
AKA pedantic kunt
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:08pm
Odds plummeting at Paddy Power for Roy Keane with Gary Neville and Micah Richards by his side to take over. They know something we don't.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I'm so hoping it IS Roy, it will be great fun! And he wont turn us into San Marino. The football we played under MON and Keane was pretty dire but our results were a lot better than they are at present. If the results were better and we got back to being in contention to qualify for tournaments, wouldnt we all accept a bit of sh**e football and the odd player getting a bit of a bollocking every now and again?

We'd piss ourselves laughing if the likes of Scotland or Wales hired a former legend who hasn't managed in over 13 years.

Not when they have Keanes profile. The surprise would be that he hasn't done it before. Every smaller country that has a mega star gives that mega star a whirl as manager no matter how bad their coaching record - think Hagi, Stoichkov, Yakin, Van Basten, Boniek, etc. But certainly the gap since his last manager gig is unusually long.

I think I'm right in saying he was linked to the Welsh gig in the last 3 or 4 years though?

It's the equivalent of Newcastle bringing back Kevin Keegan or Liverpool bringing back Kenny Dalglish.

People from Cork or diehard United fans are the only people who seem to genuinely think it's a good idea.

We already went down this road with Staunton who got the job shortly after retiring. Hagi and Stoichkov were the same. Most of your examples only further highlight why it would be a bad idea.

I know Keane has been linked with a return to management before.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, was just answering the suggestion that Wales or Scotland would piss themselves at the suggestion.

And agree that most of us are biased one way or another with Keane. I see his limitations a mile off, but I am a United fanatic from Cork so there's a LOT of goodwill there too. But as others have pointed out, there are others that would hate him if he won back to back WCs with us. He's marmite as people say.

Agree also with whoever said he is not as bad as his detractors say and not as good as his promoters say. His CV is mediocre but not terrible. He did have success, relatively, with Sunderland and he does have a successful 4 year period as an international no.2, but his lack of recent work jumps out, as do his myriad bust ups. That said, he does seem well able to control himself outside of playing / management. Always comes out well from personal life issues (has been physically attacked a few times and simply called the police) and doesn't put a foot wrong in terms of his punditry (in terms of saying things he shouldn't). But he is a pretty rudimentary punditry, never any tactical analysis.  So if he got the gig, he'd need to appoint people who have that skillset as part of his team.

I've talked myself into it anyway....

Edited by rebelbrowser - 28 Mar 2024 at 12:14pm
Tapo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:13pm
Didn’t Keane rule himself out earlier in the process. I thought he said something about feeling disrespected?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:13pm
News just in. Reports the new manager is a giant lizard.  Do we have a source for this?  YBIG

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Rather Keane than Poyet! Poyet openly touting for other jobs whilst in a job shows what he's about. 

While I wouldn't want Poyet, he's been managing regularly since 2009, as opposed to Keane who hasn't.  Why would you want Keane, because he is Irish and has a stern look?  It's nonsense like this that has him in the frame for the job!  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

While I wouldn't want Poyet, he's been managing regularly since 2009, as opposed to Keane who hasn't.  Why would you want Keane, because he is Irish and has a stern look?  It's nonsense like this that has him in the frame for the job!  

Wasn't all the talk that they were looking for a very modern style developmental coach would be able to work with the under 21s and youth teams as well? Keane hardly seems to fit the bill.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:22pm
feel like I'm going mad, Ciarán Murphy touting O'Shea over Poyet in today's IT because it'd mean more to O'Shea Confused

it'd mean a lot to me too like, doesn't mean I should get it 
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

feel like I'm going mad, Ciarán Murphy touting O'Shea over Poyet in today's IT because it'd mean more to O'Shea Confused

it'd mean a lot to me too like, doesn't mean I should get it 

He'd be one of the last people whose opinions I'd listen to when it comes to Irish football.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:33pm

Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I'm so hoping it IS Roy, it will be great fun! And he wont turn us into San Marino. The football we played under MON and Keane was pretty dire but our results were a lot better than they are at present. If the results were better and we got back to being in contention to qualify for tournaments, wouldnt we all accept a bit of sh**e football and the odd player getting a bit of a bollocking every now and again?

We'd piss ourselves laughing if the likes of Scotland or Wales hired a former legend who hasn't managed in over 13 years.

Not when they have Keanes profile. The surprise would be that he hasn't done it before. Every smaller country that has a mega star gives that mega star a whirl as manager no matter how bad their coaching record - think Hagi, Stoichkov, Yakin, Van Basten, Boniek, etc. But certainly the gap since his last manager gig is unusually long.

I think I'm right in saying he was linked to the Welsh gig in the last 3 or 4 years though?

It's the equivalent of Newcastle bringing back Kevin Keegan or Liverpool bringing back Kenny Dalglish.

People from Cork or diehard United fans are the only people who seem to genuinely think it's a good idea.

We already went down this road with Staunton who got the job shortly after retiring. Hagi and Stoichkov were the same. Most of your examples only further highlight why it would be a bad idea.

I know Keane has been linked with a return to management before.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, was just answering the suggestion that Wales or Scotland would piss themselves at the suggestion.

And agree that most of us are biased one way or another with Keane. I see his limitations a mile off, but I am a United fanatic from Cork so there's a LOT of goodwill there too. But as others have pointed out, there are others that would hate him if he won back to back WCs with us. He's marmite as people say.

Agree also with whoever said he is not as bad as his detractors say and not as good as his promoters say. His CV is mediocre but not terrible. He did have success, relatively, with Sunderland and he does have a successful 4 year period as an international no.2, but his lack of recent work jumps out, as do his myriad bust ups. That said, he does seem well able to control himself outside of playing / management. Always comes out well from personal life issues (has been physically attacked a few times and simply called the police) and doesn't put a foot wrong in terms of his punditry (in terms of saying things he shouldn't). But he is a pretty rudimentary punditry, never any tactical analysis.  So if he got the gig, he'd need to appoint people who have that skillset as part of his team.

I've talked myself into it anyway....

I meant that as we'd piss ourselves laughing if Scotland/Wales hired a former player with a bad CV/long time out of the game. I would if Wales hired Dean Saunders tomorrow.

I'm a United fan. And it was bad enough watching Solskjaer manage us for almost 3 years. It's never nice seeing ex players/legends fail. Loved him as a player. To be fair to him, ten Hag isn't doing any better. I'd be more than happy if Keano did well, but I just can't justify the appointment.

He's basically a jester who Sky roll out for clicks/views. He's got his catchphrases and one liners that he regularly uses, and people like seeing his bromances with both Ian Wright and Micah Richards. It's easy work and he makes a lot of money from both ITV and Sky. I bet he secretly hates that he's a pundit though. It's everything that he would have hated while he was playing. He's a complex individual who always seems to be fighting demons. That's probably why he keeps contemplating whether he should return to management or not. 

Apart from his questionable man management skills, he doesn't seem to be interested in the tactical side of things. He often beats the same drum about having good senior players and working hard. Quite simplistic.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:07pm
I've sort of gone of any 'irish' manager or at least those in the establishment of former international pros.. Just feels like if we appoint from that crowd we will be playing Coleman and Brady till they are 40 because they are good lads and completely fail to make the necessary decisions to rejuvenate the squad. O'Dowda and Sykes being prominent subs was a joke. Basically Ireland camp seems to want those who can bring vibes and everyone can have a nice time away from proper football it seems.

Glad we gave Szmodics a good go but O'Brien not getting any gametime was wierd, our CBs whilst young and talented should not be guarenteed starters in any way and all basically battling relegation and shipping goals most weeks. Azaz should of got longer than 5 mins too. 

It's not like I want some hardline strict coach but at least one who has less preconceived ideas about what the team should look like.
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

I've sort of gone of any 'irish' manager or at least those in the establishment of former international pros.. Just feels like if we appoint from that crowd we will be playing Coleman and Brady till they are 40 because they are good lads and completely fail to make the necessary decisions to rejuvenate the squad. O'Dowda and Sykes being prominent subs was a joke. Basically Ireland camp seems to want those who can bring vibes and everyone can have a nice time away from proper football it seems.

Glad we gave Szmodics a good go but O'Brien not getting any gametime was wierd, our CBs whilst young and talented should not be guarenteed starters in any way and all basically battling relegation and shipping goals most weeks. Azaz should of got longer than 5 mins too. 

It's not like I want some hardline strict coach but at least one who has less preconceived ideas about what the team should look like.

Agreed SC92, that Ebosele only got a few minutes and O'Brien not a kick was ludicrous.  While I am not pushed on Poyet, look how well he adapted the Greece team in Dublin, nullified us after the first few minutes and won the game easily.  We will only be able to battle against the big sides in modern football, but we should be holding our own better against similar sides going forward.  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:27pm
I said on this page some time ago it may well end up been Keane, I knew they had spoken to Neil lennon on a couple of occasions, but lennon has a better CV than Roy in reality but the comment about international experience etc, if it ends up been Roy I would not be at all suprised as ticket sales plus the link with oshea and kerr would make sense, be under no illusion  the backroom team is in place and that will remain. Matt docherty will never play again if he gets the job
royal rover
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 1:29pm
It's not going to happen but I would take Damien Duff above any name linked currently. He at ticks at least as many boxes as anyone else and more than most. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 429>
  Share Topic