Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 323324325326327 429>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:31am
I'm hoping for a left field appointment that hasn't been mentioned yet and somehow been kept secret. 

I don't want Poyet, Sagnol, Keane or O'Shea
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:34am
Still think it's gonna be Carlsey.
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:35am
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I'm so hoping it IS Roy, it will be great fun! And he wont turn us into San Marino. The football we played under MON and Keane was pretty dire but our results were a lot better than they are at present. If the results were better and we got back to being in contention to qualify for tournaments, wouldnt we all accept a bit of sh**e football and the odd player getting a bit of a bollocking every now and again?

We'd piss ourselves laughing if the likes of Scotland or Wales hired a former legend who hasn't managed in over 13 years.

Not when they have Keanes profile. The surprise would be that he hasn't done it before. Every smaller country that has a mega star gives that mega star a whirl as manager no matter how bad their coaching record - think Hagi, Stoichkov, Yakin, Van Basten, Boniek, etc. But certainly the gap since his last manager gig is unusually long.

I think I'm right in saying he was linked to the Welsh gig in the last 3 or 4 years though?

It's the equivalent of Newcastle bringing back Kevin Keegan or Liverpool bringing back Kenny Dalglish.

People from Cork or diehard United fans are the only people who seem to genuinely think it's a good idea.

We already went down this road with Staunton who got the job shortly after retiring. Hagi and Stoichkov were the same. Most of your examples only further highlight why it would be a bad idea.

I know Keane has been linked with a return to management before.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:36am
Keane will be angry and shout at the players and make them play better, some people think. There's actually a friend of mine who says he should get the United job every time they lose a match so he could give the players some home truths. 

Its cult-like the Keane following
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I'm hoping for a left field appointment that hasn't been mentioned yet and somehow been kept secret. 

Sagnol would be pretty left-field.

Not many people knew about him until Georgia qualified for Euro 2024.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:38am

Give us a name. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:40am
Originally posted by footballman footballman wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

The truth is that Keane is not as good as his supporters believe or as bad as his critics think either.  

If it’s Keane the idea of a head coach working with the setup will be a load of crap although they may try to fudge that off to John OShea and start talking about succession planning and Kerr as advisor to both aspects of the job.  

There is an element that this squad needs both new talent in midfield but also a ruthless mentality too.  You can see that through when Coleman played and he didn’t that we lack that and Coleman’s time is now over too.  

If the management team is 

Keane
OShea 
Kerr
McCarthy
Whelan
Rice 

The fai would have no problem selling that to the public with
The exception of us lads on ybig. 

Roy Keane failed as a manager. He had a very good debut season at Sunderland. That's it. It's been over 13 years since he's managed at any level. It's been almost 5 years since he was an assistant manager.

Neil Lennon and Chris Coleman look like Pep Guardiola all of a sudden. Take me back, Jeff.

He failed at Ipswich and did well at Sunderland.  Got them promoted as champions and then kept them up and resigned the next year.   Brutal at Ipswich.  

Ricky fecking Sbragia had to save them in his 3rd season. Keane brought in 19 players at Sunderland over the next 2 windows after getting promoted. Many of them were poor signings. He didn't win 2 games in a row until late March 2008. -23 GD as well. It was not a good season and his luck ran out when he left in December 2008 after bringing in another 10 players during the summer 2008 window.

And even if you wanted to argue that Keane did well at Sunderland, the 2007/2008 was 16 years ago.

As I said he is not as good as his fans or as bad as his harshest critics.   I am not going to argue for him when I think he has done ok and that’s about it.    

Anyway the whole thing is a bit of craic and will keep us entertained anyway.  

Do lads want to watch football or press conferences?

I meant the football will be a bit of craic.  Football if a distraction from day to day life .  It’s a bit of craic. It’s not
The end of the world one way or the other.  We have been sh*t now for ages and we keep going on.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:42am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

People on here are too quick to jump on points of view on situations! A point of view of what roy could bring to the table and suddenly you are cheerleader w**king into your socks over the thought of it. That is not the case at all ffs.

Exactly.  No room for nuance or middle ground.  I said he was not
As good as his biggest fans or as bad as his harshest critics and Godzilla is all over it like a rash 😀😀😀😀 Some lads really hate Keane and some lads really love him and are
Miopic beyond belief.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:43am

Give us a name. 

Herve Renard
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:43am

Give us a name. 

Not now, but I'm hoping Gignac goes into management after he's finished conquering Mexico.

He loves GAA and Éire.

razzmatazaz View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:46am

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Netflix documentary incoming.

'EIRE of Misfortune'

A fly on the wall documentary of how The EIRE went froma once respected football nation to withdrawing from international football.

Keane and Szmodics would have a bust up guaranteed.

Maybe we will have the Overlap Dream Team set up:

Royston
Gary Neville
Jamie Carragher
Jill Scott

Keano would turn up the rebel music extra loud just to test the English lads.
There is no way that music is being played in 2024 in this cultural climate and with all the English lads in the squad. It would take 5 minutes for someone to complain. Look at the furore over the female team that time and the motivational video before the England game. 
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:47am

People on here are too quick to jump on points of view on situations! A point of view of what roy could bring to the table and suddenly you are cheerleader w**king into your socks over the thought of it. That is not the case at all ffs.

As good as his biggest fans or as bad as his harshest critics and Godzilla is all over it like a rash 😀😀😀😀 Some lads really hate Keane and some lads really love him and are
Miopic beyond belief.  

Says your man who goes around the forum being pedantic and pushing his opinion on others. LOL

You're a pseudo-intellectual. You don't fool me one bit.

Still obviously depressed following the referendum. Unlucky, bud.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:49am
Keane would break Szammie's jaw for wearing a shortened trouser and no socks
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:52am

I'd still prefer some left field choice (not sure who) like when a premiership team brings in some name you never heard of but turns out to be good (for a while). I hope Canham has something up his sleeve.

But if it was a choice of having the inexperienced O'Shea or Roy Keane then I'd prefer Keane. Still don't think that would happen though as Canham also wanted a head coach etc. 

Leftfield, well This Is What We Do!  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Still think it's gonna be Carlsey.

Me too.

People suggesting management teams of Keane, O'Shea, McCarthy, Kerr, Whelan etc.

Just throw the money back at your actual first choice. If he was as close as suggested to taking the job then an extra few quid will seal the deal.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:53am

Miopic beyond belief.  

Says your man who goes around the forum being pedantic and pushing his opinion on others. LOL

You're a pseudo-intellectual. You don't fool me one bit.

Still obviously depressed following the referendum. Unlucky, bud.

Chill out.  No need to be so feisty 😀😀😀. It’s only football.  Where did that come from.  

Not one bit depressed.  In great form to be honest but there people on here who do suffer from depression so not sure itsnsomething that should be mocked.  

Anyway I agree with Andy that nuance gets lost when it comes to Keane.  It’s either strongly anti Keane which you are obviously or really strong fans of him. I just happen to be in the middle ground on it but it’s no big deal.  

Peace ✌️ 

Edited by Baldrick - 28 Mar 2024 at 11:55am
AKA pedantic kunt
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:53am

The more I hear about Keane's physical altercations, the more I think he's all bark and no bite. Jon Walters and Graham Kavanagh fairly put it up to him.
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:55am
Originally posted by razzmatazaz razzmatazaz wrote:

The more I hear about Keane's physical altercations, the more I think he's all bark and no bite. Jon Walters and Graham Kavanagh fairly put it up to him.

He's also an old man now!  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 323324325326327 429>
  Share Topic