You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zombie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Poll Question: Should Zombie be played after sporting victories
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [61.76%]
26 [38.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

So we should cancel all songs that people have an issue with then.  

How do we decide which songs should be cancelled and which ones not.  Who decides this.  Just because some people are offended by a song does that mean the song should never be sung.  

As I said I think both songs are crap and pretty derisory from both a lyrical and musical perspective but if people want to sing them let them sing them.  The do not break any hate laws etc. so as the Wolfe Tones sing.  Let the People Sing. 

Well they cancelled Amhrán na bhFiann because it was deemed offensive to the Unionist players.

Some of whom maybe burning tricolours, Ivory Coast flags or hanging up Parashoot regiment flags on the way home anyway.

Your average Irish rugby fan from south of the border isn’t likely to have been a supporter of the IRA. 

Those guys will be part of the “no foreign games, no garrison games” type, maybe making an exception for Celtic

Likewise your average rugby fan from north of the border is unlikely to burn Irish flags or hoist parachute regiment flags.

This all seems to have been blown up by people who don’t attend rugby matches. 

Where is that classic photo from outside croke park 
Danger here, OH NO
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 12:29pm
thats the one 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 12:47pm

thats the one 

Great pic that one as you would never have guessed Baldie was so slim all those years ago Clap
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

thats the one 

Great pic that one as you would never have guessed Baldie was so slim all those years ago Clap

Thought it was BrendaD88 myself 
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 1:10pm

Well well well I am sure Moe will be along to complete the trio 

- while you may wish whatever place you live to be ‘decorated’  with tattered flags apeing pretty much every loyalist sh*thole I would rather not 
Aye, it's more to do with asking a thread on YBIG when flags in Newry are going to be removed. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 1:19pm

So which songs have the backing of everyone.  How do we decide which songs are appropriate.  

Please provide the list there horsey of songs that are suitable
And that have the backing of everyone.  

In addition how to you police a situation where some songs are banned and others are not. 

Do the FAI and IRFU and other sporting orgs hand out a list of approved songs or a list of songs deemed not suitable.  

FOA would be a start - most teams would support this

The FAI were forced to issue an apology when the WNT sang Celtic symphony and the FLO could definitely ask what songs are suitable or not suitable.

Zombie is clearly a decisive song which is causing issues in the background. 

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Zombie is not an offensive song, some Nationalists are just highlighting the Southern attitudes to the North during the Troubles whereby they were unaffected and choose to look the other way and this is mentioned in the lyrics of the song.

But you see, it's not me
It's not my family

Northern Nationalists have always felt abandoned since Partition and are ultimately considered almost foreign and this really urks them.

And what is happening is that the song is used as a stick to beat CNR's and Unionists and FFG are absolutely lapping it up. 

Celtic Symphony only comes into the equation because the WNT sang it. But again the hypocrisy around this when we see the Leinster players signing along with the Irish rugby fans.

Neither Celtic Symphony or Zombie are appropriate anthems to be adopted by fans to be singing because both songs won't have the backing of everyone.

But isn't part of the issue for the discussion here is that this isn't the correct interpretation of what Dolores O'Riordan meant? Hence the likes of Colm Eastwood saying people shouldn't make this into something it isn't?

In terms of the requests for approved and unapproved song, given the songs don't appear to need any connection to the event going on then the possibilities are endless! My Old Man's a dustman is a very catch tune!

Eastwood is a quisling. I'd pay no heed to him.

We could go with the Irish Brigade's version.

My Old Man's a Provo.

Well my old man's a provo with
A beret and a gun i haven't seen him lately
He's always on the run
He looks so really trendy
With his shades and DM boots
Far cooler than those other da's in
Ties and shirts and suit's

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 1:29pm

Zombie is clearly a decisive song which is causing issues in the background. 

But it seems this divisiveness has only come to the fore since last Saturday night.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 1:36pm
I object to fields of athenry based on the fact I think it’s sh*te.  Is that enough for it to be banned.  

You seem to think that the concerns on zombie are more valid than the concerns about Celtic symphony.  

Too many people only argue in favour of their personal preference and their own cultural background.  There is no cultural empathy at play these days.  I.standing up for things that does not represent you or your upbringing.  
AKA pedantic kunt
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 1:43pm

So which songs have the backing of everyone.  How do we decide which songs are appropriate.  

Please provide the list there horsey of songs that are suitable
And that have the backing of everyone.  

In addition how to you police a situation where some songs are banned and others are not. 

Do the FAI and IRFU and other sporting orgs hand out a list of approved songs or a list of songs deemed not suitable.  

FOA would be a start - most teams would support this

The FAI were forced to issue an apology when the WNT sang Celtic symphony and the FLO could definitely ask what songs are suitable or not suitable.

Zombie is clearly a decisive song which is causing issues in the background

Only among people who are actively looking for a reason to be offended that relates to the Irish rugby team. 

Those people are best ignored.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 1:47pm
I don't think they are being offended, I discussed that in the previous updates.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 2:03pm

Zombie is not an offensive song, some Nationalists are just highlighting the Southern attitudes to the North during the Troubles whereby they were unaffected and choose to look the other way and this is mentioned in the lyrics of the song.

But you see, it's not me
It's not my family

Northern Nationalists have always felt abandoned since Partition and are ultimately considered almost foreign and this really urks them.

And what is happening is that the song is used as a stick to beat CNR's and Unionists and FFG are absolutely lapping it up. 

Celtic Symphony only comes into the equation because the WNT sang it. But again the hypocrisy around this when we see the Leinster players signing along with the Irish rugby fans.

Neither Celtic Symphony or Zombie are appropriate anthems to be adopted by fans to be singing because both songs won't have the backing of everyone.

But isn't part of the issue for the discussion here is that this isn't the correct interpretation of what Dolores O'Riordan meant? Hence the likes of Colm Eastwood saying people shouldn't make this into something it isn't?

In terms of the requests for approved and unapproved song, given the songs don't appear to need any connection to the event going on then the possibilities are endless! My Old Man's a dustman is a very catch tune!

My Old Man's a Provo.

He's always on the run

So, this argument I don't get. Why is his opinion less important than others? 
He was born into the troubles and lived through it. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 2:19pm

But you see, it's not me
It's not my family

My Old Man's a Provo.

He's always on the run

So, this argument I don't get. Why is his opinion less important than others? 
He was born into the troubles and lived through it. 

Poor choice of phrase HB your better than that 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 2:32pm
I was expected to get pulled up on that LOL. It was too strong a word to be fair.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 3:21pm
***Googles quisling****

How dare you HB
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 3:38pm
Has it ever been acceptable to wear white tracksuit bottoms?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 10:20am

Where is that classic photo from outside croke park 

You'd almost think it was performance art, and an effort in real life irony, only that type of intellect is draw to that style of Republicanism.
SportingRizlaCF View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportingRizlaCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 10:39am
I don’t understand the relevance of this song in Irish sport but the discussion of whether it place is right or wrong is more baffling sorry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic