You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zombie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Poll Question: Should Zombie be played after sporting victories
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [61.76%]
26 [38.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 5:42pm
Horsey should all songs that cause offence be banned from singing.  If so it’s a very slippery road.  

Newryrep would have many banned for a Starters. 
AKA pedantic kunt
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I have never heard anyone complain about Zombie being played on the radio, in the pub, anywhere before this weekend.
If anything it usually draws a great response when played as its a catchy tune, Irish one at that and usually gets everyone’s attention and to sing along. 
First time I’ve ever heard of it causing offence. Seems to be just a media culture war driven thing?

Absolutely pathetic. Its a catchy tune. End of. Im sure if you analyzed most songs you could prob come up with a daft reason about something. Who cares. Give you a pain in your head listening to idiots complain about anything.

The issue is basically to do with the fact that Southerners turned a blind eye to the killings, murder and collusion by British state forces and then there is the hierarchy of victims whereby no one batted an eyelid when Catholics children were being murdered, so much so that journalists often spoke about when reporting from the North to the Dublin press office they would be told ' not another Catholic sob story'..

But when it comes to 2 English kids it becomes completely unacceptable. 

But you see, it's not me
It's not my family

Am I misunderstanding, or is your interpretation of those lyrics that "Southerners" did not care because their families weren't dying? My interpretation was always that neither the writer or her family supported the Warrington bombings/IRA terrorism. As in, they didn't want to be tarred with the same IRA brush that a lot of Irish people in the UK were getting tarred with.

Edited by SeaSharp - 25 Sep 2023 at 6:12pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 5:54pm
I want just can’t get enough banned as it makes fun of my over eating issue.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 6:12pm
The irony is that the song was banned by the BBC and in the USA by CBS twenty years ago. They (a) didn’t understand it and ( b) were over-sensitive about images of tanks and guns because of fear of anti-Iraq war sentiment.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Horsey should all songs that cause offence be banned from singing.  If so it’s a very slippery road.  

No, the song is not offensive. I quite like the song myself.

The meaning of it has some historical context which I alluded too in my previous post.

As I said previously, I don't think the song is appropriate myself but I am not really following the rugby as I am not a supporter.

If the rugby crowed had of stuck to FOA, the support of the team might have been more united and it would just leave Ireland's call as the song we should be giving out about!

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 7:06pm
Can we ban depeche mode - please and replace with God save Ireland though I do acknowledge it may alienate our Muslim fans  
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 7:42pm
Only the Irish could argue about a song. Makes you proud.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

No, the song is not offensive. I quite like the song myself.

The meaning of it has some historical context which I alluded too in my previous post.

As I said previously, I don't think the song is appropriate myself but I am not really following the rugby as I am not a supporter.

If the rugby crowed had of stuck to FOA, the support of the team might have been more united and it would just leave Ireland's call as the song we should be giving out about!

I suspect the vast majority of those giving out about zombie being sung do not give two sh*ts about the rugby team and were never going to shout for them either way.  They had ample opportunity to give out about the song being sung in west Belfast at the feile or at loads of Munster games or at every crappy pub bad every Friday night.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 9:05pm
Couldn't care less about the song but is there a Zombie equivalent of a bat signal that goes off everytime it's played or something or how do they get ample opportunities to complain?

How is someone to know it was played at Feile over 2 years ago if they weren't there or if they don't follow Munster rugby? 

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I daresay most of the  ones who have issues with zombie were still in their da’s ball sack during the troubles and  have no concrot whatsoever that singing up the  ra may hurt its victims and ultimately doing nothing to advance a united ireland to soft unionists 

Give it a rest with that sh*te. There is plenty of young people in the North who are still affected by the troubles and are entitled to their opinion as much as the next person, regardless of their age.

Give Newryrep a break he’s had to deal with Celtic flags flying in his home town.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I daresay most of the  ones who have issues with zombie were still in their da’s ball sack during the troubles and  have no concrot whatsoever that singing up the  ra may hurt its victims and ultimately doing nothing to advance a united ireland to soft unionists 

Give it a rest with that sh*te. There is plenty of young people in the North who are still affected by the troubles and are entitled to their opinion as much as the next person, regardless of their age.

Give Newryrep a break he’s had to deal with Celtic flags flying in his home town.
Hope the lads in the YBIG Celtic thread managed to get them removed for him. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 9:17pm

Couldn't care less about the song but is there a Zombie equivalent of a bat signal that goes off everytime it's played or something or how do they get ample opportunities to complain?

How is someone to know it was played at Feile over 2 years ago if they weren't there or if they don't follow Munster rugby? 

Well Tadgh Hickey from Cork in Munster played the Feile festival in 2021 for one 😀😀😀
AKA pedantic kunt
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 9:22pm

Well Tadgh Hickey from Cork in Munster played the Feile festival in 2021 for one 😀😀😀
Well, that's that then. 

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 25 Sep 2023 at 9:22pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 9:27pm

They don't have to know, but it makes their argument look somewhat contrived.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 9:30pm
If you don't follow Munster rugby then you have no business in a rugby thread. Go on out you go..go on

Edited by doherty - 25 Sep 2023 at 9:31pm
I love beer gardens
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

They don't have to know, but it makes their argument look somewhat contrived.

But, if it's just a song about the the outrage of a bomb in England then you could argue that it's hardly appropriate for a Rugby game? Along the same lines as the people who take issue with Celtic Symphony or the likes being sung at football games?

For what it's worth, regardless of the context at the time you still need to take in the reaction it provokes instead of dismissing a whole community and saying you're not allowed to be offended by that because of the atrocity that happened in Warrington. If someone was to turn around and say that bomb was in your head, it would be quite cold, wouldn't it? 

The same can be said how it's understandable how Celtic Sympothy can be hurtful to some. 

I think the whole situation of it being sung at the Rugby is completely innocent and don't have an issue with it myself but if someone in the North has a problem with someone in the south singing a song about its in your head, I don't have an issue with that either. 

Has anyone heard a song by a white South African how apartheid was in South Africans heads?

It's now being crafted into another stick to beat anyone with who has an issue with people outside the North being lectured on violence which is just as pathetic.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 10:05pm
So we should cancel all songs that people have an issue with then.  

How do we decide which songs should be cancelled and which ones not.  Who decides this.  Just because some people are offended by a song does that mean the song should never be sung.  

As I said I think both songs are crap and pretty derisory from both a lyrical and musical perspective but if people want to sing them let them sing them.  The do not break any hate laws etc. so as the Wolfe Tones sing.  Let the People Sing. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 10:10pm
Is any song suitable.  Fields of Athenry a song about famine and absentee landlords.  

Just can’t get Enough a song about casual sex and clubbing in 1980s London.  

We could go on.  
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic