You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Champions League 23/24

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:03am
Doku is a bit underrated by some City fans, for me.

He's still a bit raw, but his profile is something that City have lacked. 

He's direct and can carry the ball large distances. It's a nice alternative to the likes of Grealish and Bernardo who are more about ball retention and one-two play.

He's had a solid debut season. He'll improve. Add more goals to his game and learn when to dribble vs when to pass.
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:05am
Doku is a good impact sub I think, like we saw last night. His final ball or decision needs to be better and sharper though so many times. I think he can improve to become a very good player. 

He brings to the team what Sterling had in his ability to get in behind a defence, but Doku has more tricks and Sterling was more about pace. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:07am
On a side note, a thing that City really miss this season in opening teams up is the diagonal pass from Rodri to the right wing for Mahrez to take it beautifully with his first touch. 
Rodri still plays the pass a lot but its usually headed back across goal or just recycled back inside by Foden or Silva. 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:16am

I thought it was interesting how the two teams prepared for the penos. Until the last available moment, the City squad was gathered in a tight huddle getting geed up. At this point, I noticed the Madrid lads spread around having a light stretch or standing with their hands on their hips. I suppose its easy to be a hindsight warrior and say Real got it right but it did say something about their mentality. The natural thing to do is to get into the huddle and try and create a bit of unity and support for the group but maybe its a better approach to try and relax and have a bit of quiet time. You hardly need more pressure or to be further energised in a CL Quarter final shootout. 
El Puto Amo
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:22am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I thought it was interesting how the two teams prepared for the penos. Until the last available moment, the City squad was gathered in a tight huddle getting geed up. At this point, I noticed the Madrid lads spread around having a light stretch or standing with their hands on their hips. I suppose its easy to be a hindsight warrior and say Real got it right but it did say something about their mentality. The natural thing to do is to get into the huddle and try and create a bit of unity and support for the group but maybe its a better approach to try and relax and have a bit of quiet time. You hardly need more pressure or to be further energised in a CL Quarter final shootout. 

Apart from Bernardo, there were no shocking penalties from either team. Modric and Kovacic didn't hit them well enough. But you can still score with those ones if the GK goes the wrong way.

Alvarez, Foden and Ederson buried their penalties with confidence.

City likely win the shootout if Bernardo scores. That was the momentum shifter.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

He's direct and can carry the ball large distances. It's a nice alternative to the likes of Grealish and Bernardo who are more about ball retention and one-two play.

He's had a solid debut season. He'll improve. Add more goals to his game and learn when to dribble vs when to pass.

Doku looks dangerous on the attack something Grealish is not! Doku is always positive while Grealish is too passive and just wants to retain possession, when he does eventually beat a player his first instinct is to go to ground. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:30am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Vasquez and even Nacho looked so calm and composed walking to hit their penalties, not the most talented of players but good squad players and serial winners.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:30am
Yeah they're different types of wingers, but City are a better and more controlled team with Grealish in it, pretty widely accepted by everyone now. Best performances this season and last have come with Grealish in it. 
Doku loses the ball too much and it becomes end to end and City concede a lot of goals on the counter attack. He's not ready to be first choice
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:33am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

Doku looks dangerous on the attack something Grealish is not! Doku is always positive while Grealish is too passive and just wants to retain possession, when he does eventually beat a player his first instinct is to go to ground. 

That's kind of how Pep operates. City's wide men generally cut inside and play short passes. City probe and probe and eventually find an opening. It can be a bit boring at times. Effective though.

The best version of City to watch was when they had Sterling and Sané flanking Aguero/Jesus. David Silva and KDB had the killer passes to find them and they were more dynamic overall.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:33am
City were well on top at 3-2 up last week in the Bernabeu and it was the turning point of the tie (in hindsight) that Valverde got that goal. There were a few chances at 3-2 to kill it

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 12:09pm
It’s not city who were boring last night.  It was Madrid who camped on their own box for the whole 120 mins that stank the place out. But they won so fair play to them. 
AKA pedantic kunt
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Stones is good, Doku is a bit meh, did well last night but flatters to deceive more often than not. Alvarez added nothing, Kovacic is a tidy footballer but didn't show much either. 

Madrid's four subs are hardly sh*te, Brahim Diaz a great little player, Modric had an impact on both legs when he came on

agree to disagree on the gap in quality between them anyway, Stones is better than just good for me, he would be Madrid's best defender by a good distance if he played for them imo, regardless he's easily ahead of a Militao who has barely played this year. Modric had an impact on the first leg but wasn't as good last night.

Doku and Alvarez are much much better options than Diaz and Vasquez. Doku was the reason City got an equaliser and he also sucked in defenders to free up Akanji for the KDB chance of a winner in the 80th minute.

I'm not saying Madrid are paupers in terms of quality here but City's squad options are a world away from Madrid last night
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Stones is good, Doku is a bit meh, did well last night but flatters to deceive more often than not. Alvarez added nothing, Kovacic is a tidy footballer but didn't show much either. 

Madrid's four subs are hardly sh*te, Brahim Diaz a great little player, Modric had an impact on both legs when he came on

agree to disagree on the gap in quality between them anyway, Stones is better than just good for me, he would be Madrid's best defender by a good distance if he played for them imo, regardless he's easily ahead of a Militao who has barely played this year. Modric had an impact on the first leg but wasn't as good last night.

Doku and Alvarez are much much better options than Diaz and Vasquez. Doku was the reason City got an equaliser and he also sucked in defenders to free up Akanji for the KDB chance of a winner in the 80th minute.

I'm not saying Madrid are paupers in terms of quality here but City's squad options are a world away from Madrid last night

A world away?? Not sure how you make that one out.
I love beer gardens
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 12:54pm
sort of explained my thinking before that. when you take into account injuries and suspensions, Madrid just didn't have nearly the strength or options coming off the bench that City did imo

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 1:13pm

Militao was brilliant last couple of seasons prior to his injury, Rudiger excellent too! 

Can tell someone watches too much Premier League football when they think Stones is far superior to Militao/Rudiger. 
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 1:16pm

Why didn’t stones start last night so???he was one of city’s best performers last season in that inverted role yet pep plays akanji there…ok akanji did well but when he started to hit a wall around 60/70 mins bring in stones???

Alvarez should have been brought on to partner haaland in attack while city were on top.sometimes peps overthinking clouds what’s basically right in front of him.

City have had versions of Doku before in sane and sterling and Doku would be the lesser of that 3 but he’s a type of player pep never seems to trust and so far this season Doku has only performed against lesser sides…
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 2:06pm
Stones had injuries and fatigue after last week's game, i'd guess he wasn't fit enough to start. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 2:07pm
Rudiger has a real indian sign over City in this competition. Injured KDB in the final that Chelsea won, didn't play in the 4-0 hammering last season, was dropped to the bench, and was brilliant over the two legs this time. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
  Share Topic