You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FAI to unveil €863m wish-list to transform footb
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAI to unveil €863m wish-list to transform footb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 1:32pm
The year is 2050 and every club is now playing in at least a 10k seater stadium. Harps are still waiting on our stadium that was started in 2006ish. 'Ah just a few more weeks until the diggers are back on site', we hear for the 42nd occasionLOL
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

"Under the charters 15-year outlook, half of the 20 League of Ireland clubs will be playing in 20,000 seater stadia with the other 10 venues housing no less than 6,000 fans"

Seems quite ambitious..

20,000 ffs. Like its not even practical. I'm a LOI fan and go to games. Be realistic. 10,000 should be the aim and even then some of the clubs don't have that sort of fanbase. A few big games or Eupropean or pre-season friendlies might bump up the crowd. Right now only Shams have real potential to grow crowd number over 10,000 but that would only be for certain games at that.

I think Bohs would be at 10,000 if they had space. And all clubs are only really scratching the surface. 

I'm thinking as a longterm sustainable crowd. If Shams can continue to grow and develop and progress in Europe they are the benchmark at the moment. And i say at the moment. Bohs and the rest of the chasing pack are all in the region of 2-4,000 for most games. Big games may bump it up and European games need a decent stadium. To be suggesting 20,000 just seems ridiculous.
LOL Bohs (and a couple others) are averaging over 4k this season, I don’t think it could be any clearer that stadium confines are holding us (and others back) and how anyone could describe winning leagues & qualifying for Europe as sustainable growth is even funnier. And that’s not a slight on Rovers just to be clear 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

"Under the charters 15-year outlook, half of the 20 League of Ireland clubs will be playing in 20,000 seater stadia with the other 10 venues housing no less than 6,000 fans"

Seems quite ambitious..

20,000 ffs. Like its not even practical. I'm a LOI fan and go to games. Be realistic. 10,000 should be the aim and even then some of the clubs don't have that sort of fanbase. A few big games or Eupropean or pre-season friendlies might bump up the crowd. Right now only Shams have real potential to grow crowd number over 10,000 but that would only be for certain games at that.

I think Bohs would be at 10,000 if they had space. And all clubs are only really scratching the surface. 

I'm thinking as a longterm sustainable crowd. If Shams can continue to grow and develop and progress in Europe they are the benchmark at the moment. And i say at the moment. Bohs and the rest of the chasing pack are all in the region of 2-4,000 for most games. Big games may bump it up and European games need a decent stadium. To be suggesting 20,000 just seems ridiculous.
LOL Bohs (and a couple others) are averaging over 4k this season, I don’t think it could be any clearer that stadium confines are holding us (and others back) and how anyone could describe winning leagues & qualifying for Europe as sustainable growth is even funnier. And that’s not a slight on Rovers just to be clear 

Eh yes hence me saying other teams are in the region of 2-4 thousand. Whats your crowd for UCD, Drogs, Cork etc etc?? Apart from the big Dublin derbies ye would not have too much bother. Did you even read my overall point.
I love beer gardens
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 2:15pm
Id say what he means is that you’re not always going to win the league or qualify for group stages so it can’t be sustainable. Sustainable has to be intrinsic, not relying on factors you don’t have complete control over. Everyone though Dundalk would qualify each year after 2016, look how that’s gone.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 2:19pm

Seems quite ambitious..

Its not ridiculous, its ambitious. Theres a difference.

Stadiums have a limited lifespan of roughly 50 years before needing a complete overhaul / knocked and rebuilt in most cases. If 10 x 20k seater stadiums were built today they would be expected to last until 2070ish. Over the next 50 years is it not ambitious to aim for to grow the game to those sort of capacities especially with the historical growth in attendances over the last 20 years and population of Ireland growing exponentially.

LOI attendances are up 30% on last year alone and would be a lot higher for bigger ties had clubs bigger capacity grounds. Over the last 20 years or so crowds are up 400-600% on average. Back then Rovers, Pats or Bohs matches were pulling in crowds of less than 1000, they're all comfortably hitting 4-6k averages now.

The population of Ireland in 2000 was approx 3.8m, its now 5m and is projected to head to nearly 6m in the next 25 years.

Theres no reason why the game cant grow here to pull in 10-12k averages and closer to 20k capacity for the bigger games over the next 25-50 years. It would be wise to aim high and be prepared than to settle for mediocrity and find ourselves with stadiums that cant meet capacity again.

Plus, they dont have to be used for just footballing reasons. Tallaght stadium has been used for a host of events by SDCC and other 3rd party hire over the years such as Ireland (u17s, u19s, u21s & womens games) Rugby (Leinster & Ireland underage), American Football, Motorcross, Special Olympics, underage GAA & Soccer camps, St Patricks Day parades, Music concerts etc.. inside the stadium theres conference rooms and such that are used to host jobs fairs and other events. The bar is for available for private hire too. On the ground of the stadium they've also had Ice Skating, Circuses, Fun Fairs ..a sunday Market.

It doesn't have to be all about the host team and their weekly attendances, they can be viewed as a major community hub which again with the rising population we could do with a lot more anyway, especially in more rural areas where they dont have much else going for them.

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 2:24pm

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Seems quite ambitious..

Eh yes hence me saying other teams are in the region of 2-4 thousand. Whats your crowd for UCD, Drogs, Cork etc etc?? Apart from the big Dublin derbies ye would not have too much bother. Did you even read my overall point.
Our AVERAGE this season is over 4000 in a ground that holds just over 4000. Most games are sold out weeks in advance. 

My other point is that trying to win leagues & get into Europe is not a sustainable model. That’s the model that’s killed numerous clubs 

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 2:39pm
Derry have averaged 3570 with a max of 3600 
Pats have averaged 4350 with a max of 5000
Bohs have averaged 4250 with a max of 4400

There’s 3 teams clearly held back by their grounds. People questioned Rovers building on when averaging 2k or 3.5k but look at them now. 

And all 4 teams mentioned are doing excellent work in their communities to grow their numbers, obviously people laugh at Bohs ideas & thinking outside the box but it clearly works, the ticket sales and more-so kit sales clearly show the appetite  

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 3:14pm
There shouldnt be an issue with building 15-20k stadiums in places where the populations warrant it, but there should be some kind of tiered vision i.e 2 Category (15-20k) A stadia in Dublin, 1 in each of Cork, Galway, Limerick, Louth, Derry, Waterford - These can host events other than football and then a number of Category B (6-10k stadia) Sligo, Drogheda, 2 in Dublin, Bray, Wexford, Athlone/Longford. The problem is the club situation in the country doesnt really mirror the population centres (Limerick, Waterford, Galway for example). That could change but only with some very tough decision making and the FAI potentially committing to providing ongoing funding to certain clubs and not others.

Leaving aside the financial aspects (which are obviously gargantuan), to do this properly would require a level of vision and oversight that I simply dont think the FAI holds. I dont think the FAI has either the capacity or the cojones to properly adapt the existing footballing landscape and I'm not sure I'd trust the FAI to allocate the amount of money they are talking about, not just equitably, but to mirror a compelling future vision of football on the island. 

Tough decisions are required, I'm a regular vistor to Ferrycarrig and I grew up going to Finn Harps games, but clubs like these, add in UCD, Longford, Cobh, Kerry would surely have questionable futures in such a scenario.

Idah Dream!
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 6:09pm
Football is always in a hard place in this country. the interest in the sport is unparalleled. Listen to any sports news segment and football will be mentioned. Granted its premeir league or CL before LOI but it shows the interest. Now consider the amount of people who have no bother playing 5 aside. Not to mention all the 11 aside teams. 
Then look at the way the sports treated and spoken about, probably about 4th behind GAA codes and Rugby. There is a pitfall here, and thats to compare. No sports can or should be compared and its and easy debate to get dragged in to which will have no conclusion. Also I think the FAI got it wrong with their recent report. Dont get the Racing community offside, they are intertwined in irish community life up and down the country and to be seen to have a go is to make football look bitter. They should have just stuck to the Positives football contributes and ask for cut of gambling tax. To me the PR backfired. There was also a blatant hypocracy in their approach. They both undermined the ethics and gambling and asked for the cut of it.
Theres a good interview with angus o rioridan on LOI weekly recently. Really paints a picture of Football in the country. Just to take one point, Its far easier for a local politician to back the GAA club than the local Football table, based simply on catchment size. Theres more football clubs within the same catchment size as 1 GAA club. 
I dont propose a solution. I do think Football has to fend for itself unfortunately as the country is sewn up otherwise. Its a shame it hasnt considering the level of interest in the support. And without a doubt the FAI have been brutal costodians of the game previously which have done more damage than any rival organisation could have ever done to the sport.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 7:20pm
On second review, &quot;Field of Dreams&quot; is a ridiculously bad movie | This is  the Loop | Golf Digest

If you build it they will come....

League of Ireland fan who went viral nearly ten years ago resurfaces - and  tells all about infamous clip - Dublin Live

Edited by Trap junior - 07 Jun 2023 at 7:22pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 9:58am
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 10:23am
Apart from South Dublin Council, does anybody need a stadium over 10,000?  With the Comer backing and Derry being bankrolled maybe we will get strong regional city clubs at last.  Cork, Galway, Derry and Waterford have proper potential to be big clubs, and the Dublin clubs with their population should always be aiming higher, but Dundalk don't need a stadium any bigger than 5,000, nor Sligo, Drogheda and most clubs.  Proper facilities should be the starting point for any ground, capacity can be worked on after that.
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 10:26am
I'd be happy with just a bit of decent grub at the Aviva to be honest.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 10:44am
Great to see the FAI doing this. It's a welcome change to the 'problem child' attitude of the past 

Agree with attendances. Bohs in particular have done great work in the last few years to get their supporter base up. Rovers are obviously outstanding when it comes to that.

For Shels, we were getting 500/600 at home games only a few years ago in the graveyard and now comfortably average over 3k which is phenomenal. The opportunity is there and if you don't aim high you won't get anywhere. It's about time there was a proper investment in football in this country
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 10:52am
55% of clubs in Ireland do not own their ground. That sounds ridiculously high and I wonder what that would look like benchmarked against other EU nations of similar size.

Also, of the top 40 largest stadia in Ireland by capacity, only 3 host football. Crazy stat for a country that lists Football as its No.1 participation sport.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Great to see the FAI doing this. It's a welcome change to the 'problem child' attitude of the past 

Agree with attendances. Bohs in particular have done great work in the last few years to get their supporter base up. Rovers are obviously outstanding when it comes to that.

For Shels, we were getting 500/600 at home games only a few years ago in the graveyard and now comfortably average over 3k which is phenomenal. The opportunity is there and if you don't aim high you won't get anywhere. It's about time there was a proper investment in football in this country

Best chance of significant investment (for better or worse) is probably English club owners taking a stake in LOI clubs and bankrolling improved training facilities/coaching. 
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 10:57am

55% of clubs in Ireland do not own their ground. That sounds ridiculously high and I wonder what that would look like benchmarked against other EU nations of similar size.

Also, of the top 40 largest stadia in Ireland by capacity, only 3 host football. Crazy stat for a country that lists Football as its No.1 participation sport.

Well the FAI could look to purchase a number of them and then enter in to a single contract with one provider to refurb/expand those that are suitable. They can then lease them back to the clubs at very low rates. Would you trust the FAI to properly spend/allocate significant funding equitably across the country though? I wouldnt. 

Edited by John Nice - 08 Jun 2023 at 10:58am
Idah Dream!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 11:03am
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Apart from South Dublin Council, does anybody need a stadium over 10,000?  With the Comer backing and Derry being bankrolled maybe we will get strong regional city clubs at last.  Cork, Galway, Derry and Waterford have proper potential to be big clubs, and the Dublin clubs with their population should always be aiming higher, but Dundalk don't need a stadium any bigger than 5,000, nor Sligo, Drogheda and most clubs.  Proper facilities should be the starting point for any ground, capacity can be worked on after that.

I don't think I'd agree on that - Its often the case that when grounds are built and plans are in place for expansion then they often don't happen - Am not just thinking of Ireland here.
I think the aim has to be to have a plan for ambitious capacity with a model in place to fund it. Any build or rebuild will be gradual so need can be assessed along the way but the plan needs to be there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic