You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FAI to unveil €863m wish-list to transform footb
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAI to unveil €863m wish-list to transform footb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FAI to unveil €863m wish-list to transform footb
    Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 11:13am
FAI to unveil €863m wish-list to transform football infrastructure (irishexaminer.com)

FAI to unveil €863m wish-list to transform football infrastructure

The FAI’s ambitious €863m wish-list to modernise facilities and construct a national football centre has been completed – with 80% of the war chest sought through state channels

The FAI’s ambitious €863m wish-list to modernise facilities and construct a national football centre has been completed – with 80% of the war chest sought through state channels.

Split into three five-year phases till 2038, the blueprint envisions investment for three categories: grassroots (€426.4m), League of Ireland stadia/academy training grounds (€370m) and €47m towards funding the national football centre at Abbotstown.

Three is the magic number again for the funding sources.

Unsurprisingly, most of the money, 60%, is being requested directly from the exchequer, with another 20% sourced through state-led local project partners. Curiously, local health authorities feature on the hitlist of funding vehicles in this subsection.

Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 11:57am
Absolutely no need for the size of the stadia they’re proposing but it’s a start anyway.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 12:11pm
"Under the charters 15-year outlook, half of the 20 League of Ireland clubs will be playing in 20,000 seater stadia with the other 10 venues housing no less than 6,000 fans"

Seems quite ambitious..
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 12:39pm
I'd like to see the plans in more detail but I think it's mad to just come up with a generic "we want the top LOI clubs to all have 20,000 seaters and lower clubs to have 6000, football could be great if we have this, give us the money. 

Like is it even technically possible to turn Dalymount into a 20,000 seater if there were finances to do it? How would Rovers Tallaght ground double in size at that site? Hardly be that the home ground would move location for majority of clubs? I don't think many of the club's fans would like to move location just to get the bigger capacity. 

I think this is the issue that aodhan o riordain pointed to in a recent LOI podcast, that other sporting groups are much better at lobbying and laying out plans for funding. 

For me, if you really want to get money to improve the stadia then it needs to be planned at the club/stadium level, not just throwing a wishful desire out there. For example:
Tallaght Stadium: Fill in corners, add another tier, make it a 26000 seater. Will cost X
Dalymount: Redesigned 20,000 seater template stadium. Will cost X
Richmond: Build new 2 tier stand behind goal and main stand, 15,000 capacity. will cost x
Dundalk: Build new 20,000 template stadium at new site. Cost x
etc. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 06 Jun 2023 at 12:43pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 12:45pm
I think this is probably just an opening gambit on this.
Plenty of discussion and lobbying that will need to follow. 

trevwaterford View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevwaterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 1:39pm
Yeah, no harm in looking for as much as they can when the government has surplus funds to spend. The stadiums in LOI badly need to be improved and capacity increased to cater for the bigger numbers going to games and growing population.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 6:39pm
The stadium stuff is nonsense 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

The stadium stuff is nonsense 
Aim high!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 12:54am
Do Irish politicians give a f**k about 'sacair'?  They will fund GAA and Rugby all day long but football is like the dysfunctional junkie son they wish to forget exists.

The GAA and Rugby are the golden children. 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 9:10am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Absolutely no need for the size of the stadia they’re proposing but it’s a start anyway.

I suppose aim high as everything usually gets scaled down in the end anyway
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Do Irish politicians give a f**k about 'sacair'?  They will fund GAA and Rugby all day long but football is like the dysfunctional junkie son they wish to forget exists.

Outside of Dublin I don't think they do.
Rugby doesn't get that well funded either but they make their own revenue streams for funding and the quality of player is really coming from the prestigious schools doing the hard work
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 10:32am

Don't forget horses and greyhounds as well
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 10:36am
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Don't forget horses and greyhounds as well

Comments like this don't really help the argument. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 10:41am
When was the last time you saw Micheal Martin, Leo Varadkar eta al at football match?   Certainly wouldn't see them at LOI anyway.   Rural middle Ireland dictates that GAA is king and being seen at a rival foreign sport would lose them votes.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 10:45am

When was the last time you saw Micheal Martin, Leo Varadkar eta al at football match?   Certainly wouldn't see them at LOI anyway.   Rural middle Ireland dictates that GAA is king and being seen at a rival foreign sport would lose them votes.

The 1970s want their opinion back!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

"Under the charters 15-year outlook, half of the 20 League of Ireland clubs will be playing in 20,000 seater stadia with the other 10 venues housing no less than 6,000 fans"

Seems quite ambitious..

20,000 ffs. Like its not even practical. I'm a LOI fan and go to games. Be realistic. 10,000 should be the aim and even then some of the clubs don't have that sort of fanbase. A few big games or Eupropean or pre-season friendlies might bump up the crowd. Right now only Shams have real potential to grow crowd number over 10,000 but that would only be for certain games at that.
I love beer gardens
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Seems quite ambitious..

20,000 ffs. Like its not even practical. I'm a LOI fan and go to games. Be realistic. 10,000 should be the aim and even then some of the clubs don't have that sort of fanbase. A few big games or Eupropean or pre-season friendlies might bump up the crowd. Right now only Shams have real potential to grow crowd number over 10,000 but that would only be for certain games at that.

I think Bohs would be at 10,000 if they had space. And all clubs are only really scratching the surface. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Seems quite ambitious..

I think Bohs would be at 10,000 if they had space. And all clubs are only really scratching the surface. 

I'm thinking as a longterm sustainable crowd. If Shams can continue to grow and develop and progress in Europe they are the benchmark at the moment. And i say at the moment. Bohs and the rest of the chasing pack are all in the region of 2-4,000 for most games. Big games may bump it up and European games need a decent stadium. To be suggesting 20,000 just seems ridiculous.
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic