You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 6:50pm
Right. So how many players do we have in any kind of good form going into matches? Ferguson? Anyone else?

A stinking season for vast majority of squad. Jaysus
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 7:02pm
Looking at the likely starting team against Greece...

Bazunu - plenty of Premier League experience under his belt now, but patchy form overall
Egan - a solid season for Sheffield United and promotion back to the Premier League
O'Shea - was flying before the injury so hopefully can recapture that form
Collins - patchy season and in and out of the team in the second half. Probably looked in better form this time last year after his Burnley stint
Doherty - next to no game time since January. The best you can say is that he should be fresh
O'Dowda - had a strong season at Bristol City. Remains injury prone
Cullen - flying for Burnley, won the Championship and his club's player of the season
Molumby - was in great form at the end of the season and proving a few doubters at West Brom wrong
Knight - middle of the road season for him, put in the mileage as ever but was probably hoping he'd stand out more in League 1. Playing a fair bit of the season at right back didn't help
Ogbene - our only major injury concern besides Coleman I think. Was in good form at Rotherham before he got injured
Ferguson - looks a raw talent but there's something there, I still wouldn't rule out him making it at a decent level in a few years time if he sticks at it. 

A bit of a mixed bag overall I think.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 7:21pm
Something like above would seem most likely alright. Smallbone perhaps foe Knight one potential change 
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 7:51pm
If they play even 90% as well as they did against France, they should beat a mediocre Greek outfit.

Problem is (i) the heat and (ii) the long gap since competitive action for our lads.  

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 29 May 2023 at 7:52pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 7:59pm
And (iii), Greece are not medicore. They have had some good results and seem to be getting their house in order. It would be up there with top away results if we could win over there. 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 8:35pm
Fringe players must know if they're in or not? Otherwise surely some will be off on holidays and have to come back otherwise? 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Fringe players must know if they're in or not? Otherwise surely some will be off on holidays and have to come back otherwise? 

Would assume lads in the championship have already been off on holidays and those in the training camp came back for it going by the fact Szmodics was in Portugal when the squad for that camp was announced.

Squad will likely be named this week and lads not called up might head off again.

Edited by J89 - 29 May 2023 at 8:45pm
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Bazunu - plenty of Premier League experience under his belt now, but patchy form overall
Egan - a solid season for Sheffield United and promotion back to the Premier League
Collins - patchy season and in and out of the team in the second half. Probably looked in better form this time last year after his Burnley stint
Doherty - next to no game time since January. The best you can say is that he should be fresh
Cullen - flying for Burnley, won the Championship and his club's player of the season
Molumby - was in great form at the end of the season and proving a few doubters at West Brom wrong
Knight - middle of the road season for him, put in the mileage as ever but was probably hoping he'd stand out more in League 1. Playing a fair bit of the season at right back didn't help
Ogbene - our only major injury concern besides Coleman I think. Was in good form at Rotherham before he got injured
Ferguson - looks a raw talent but there's something there, I still wouldn't rule out him making it at a decent level in a few years time if he sticks at it. 

Can't be loading up the starting XI with players who have played little or no football in months (O'Shea, Obafemi), or are carrying knocks (Ogbene, O'Dowda). That was something that killed us last summer. Doherty is the only exception there, and that's only because he has no real competition.

My XI vs Greece:

Ferguson     Parrott
               Smallbone
Manning Cullen Molumby Doherty
       Lenihan Egan Collins
                 Bazunu

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

And (iii), Greece are not medicore. They have had some good results and seem to be getting their house in order. It would be up there with top away results if we could win over there. 

Yeah, isn't it something like 1 home loss in the last 3 years? And that was 0-1 to Spain?

Beating Greece would be a huge result.

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Players will be on the Stand-By list, too.

Edited by Greenie50 - 29 May 2023 at 9:18pm
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Can't be loading up the starting XI with players who have played little or no football in months (O'Shea, Obafemi), or are carrying knocks (Ogbene, O'Dowda). That was something that killed us last summer. Doherty is the only exception there, and that's only because he has no real competition.

My XI vs Greece:

Ferguson     Parrott
               Smallbone
Manning Cullen Molumby Doherty
       Lenihan Egan Collins
                 Bazunu

I like that XI. But I definitely can't see Lenihan, Manning or Smallbone starting.

I'd probably start one of Obafemi/Ogbene over Parrott though.

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 4:55pm
Nah, Greece are bang-average.  Most of their players come from the sub-standard Greek league and the rest from the lower reaches of other leagues. 

Their last four results include draws with Malta and Lithuania and a loss to Hungary. 

Their last home loss was a year and a half ago - yes, to Spain - but the next best team they played at home since then was Kosovo or Baraclough's NI of cap-tied teenagers. 

We're no great shakes, but play like we did against France and we should be in a shout of a win.

Ah, maybe I'm being too optimistic that we turned a corner with that confidant display.  It's the hope that kills you.

Problem for this tie is: with the absence of competitive football, crazy heat and not the same sense of occasion in this game compared to a match against the WC finalists, I can see us labouring.  
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 7:17pm
How many corners have we turned? We WILL know if we've turned a corner. Poor Kenny still doesn't know his best team.  One way or another, this campaign will answer the majority of our questions.
howieb View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Nah, Greece are bang-average.  Most of their players come from the sub-standard Greek league and the rest from the lower reaches of other leagues. 

Their last four results include draws with Malta and Lithuania and a loss to Hungary. 

Their last home loss was a year and a half ago - yes, to Spain - but the next best team they played at home since then was Kosovo or Baraclough's NI of cap-tied teenagers. 

We're no great shakes, but play like we did against France and we should be in a shout of a win.

Ah, maybe I'm being too optimistic that we turned a corner with that confidant display.  It's the hope that kills you.

Problem for this tie is: with the absence of competitive football, crazy heat and not the same sense of occasion in this game compared to a match against the WC finalists, I can see us labouring.  

Greece are every bit as good as us, our team is made up of championship players and players who currently aren't starting for their Premier league club. 
The Greece team against Gibratar had two starters from the Greek league.  Both of those clubs will be playing European football. The rest of the Greek team are just as good as some of our players. There's two championship players and the rest play for clubs as high a standard as the championship if not higher.
Throw in been away from home in that heat , we'll do very well to come away from there with three points. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 5:15am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

This will be our biggest problem. It'll be hard to replicate the intensity of the France game with no home support and players having not played for a number of weeks.

I have a feeling it'll be like Armenia last year.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 8:08am
A second string Norway and Ukraine side, Scotland, Armenia, Luxembourg, Wales and Finland have all beaten us.

The only good sides we have beaten were Scotland, USA and Wales (both of whom were 6 years ago now!)

I don't see us beating Greece - and I think a draw will be a great result for us.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 8:43am
We have it in us to have a great game and get a win but realistically how many times have we done that over the years away from home against any half decent side of similar or higher quality to ourselves that have we gone and taken 3 points?
I'm thinking the answer is TWO TIMES n the last 35 years (Austria and wales away under MoN). We have had plenty of great draws but mulling it over I think its like Scotland away in 88 campaign and after that it was those two away wins under MoN.

Long story short, we just never get the job done away from home in a qualifier. And given our ups and downs under Kenny, mainly downs I think if we are to have an ok day then it's most likely to be another 'good away draw'. That being said, I think with France and Holland in the group we really need the 6 points off these to have any realistic hope of finishing top 2

Edited by t_rAndy - 31 May 2023 at 8:44am
howieb View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 8:48am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

A second string Norway and Ukraine side, Scotland, Armenia, Luxembourg, Wales and Finland have all beaten us.

The only good sides we have beaten were Scotland, USA and Wales (both of whom were 6 years ago now!)

I don't see us beating Greece - and I think a draw will be a great result for us.

It's going to be really tough, our away record is very poor and Greece have a great home record regardless of the opposition. 
The first goal is crucial, I can see this been a one nil to someone, hopefully us. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 9:05am
Worth remembering that, if we don't win this game, our chances of qualification from this group are effectively zero. They're low anyway, but if we don't take the full 6 off Greece on top of having already lost a home game, we can basically forget it. 

So the difference between this game and most of our away games against mid rank teams is that we usually play with a view that a point would be OK in terms of the group. Whereas, similar to Wales in 2017, here we have to go for the win, as do Greece. So it should be a good game if nothing else.

Edited by You Tell Me - 31 May 2023 at 9:06am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 9:22am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It might feel like an achievement but would be close to being the end of our automatic qualifying hopes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>
  Share Topic