You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:50am
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Azaz,Omobamidele,Connell,Coventry all notable omissions?

What is the story with Omobamidele? With rumours of a transfer is that his focus over the next week or two? Fair enough if it is.

Also the lack of urgency to bring in fresh faces into the midfield places compared to other areas on the pitch has been a bit disappointing particularly now we have a few playing well and making progress like Connell and Coventry. 

Also no disrespect to McLoughlin who is an honest pro no doubt but with the CB options we have it would be absolutely ridiculous having him on the pitch as anything other then 9th choice.

Omobamidele is injured and Connell is still involved in the play offs.

Fair on Connell sorry. Omabamidele loves a niggly injuries.

I'm sure he doesn't.

He gets plenty niggly injuries for a lad so young would be a slight concern
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:52am
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Interesting squad and good to see the likes of Cannon and McNamara in there. Mark McGuinness is a surprising omission though and I hope it's not a case that he turned down a call up or anything like that. Obviously we have a lot of centre backs, but his ceiling is absolutely miles above Sean McLoughlin's.

Interesting also that he's bringing over two keepers from Ireland to make up the numbers rather than digging any deeper into the GK pool in England (e.g. Jack Bonham at Stoke). But to be fair, after the three regular keepers and O'Leary, there's a big drop off in quality anyway.

Hourihane's omission presumably confirms the end of his international career. Azaz clearly not on the senior radar at this point in time, but I'd rate him ahead of Farrugia personally.

What an opinion. McLoughlin is a better player than McGuinness imo and can't see that changing any time in the future either. Smashing defender who had the advantage of being left footed and comfortable on the ball the same I feel cannot be said of McGuinness who is an old fashioned type and liable to make a mistake quite often.

Wouldn't agree with that tbh. McLoughlin is a solid Championship defender who has probably hit his ceiling, he's not good enough on the ball to go much higher. McGuinness has EPL potential, good size and mobility and very comfortable in possession.
We're decent enough..
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:54am
From the FAI press release:

"Jeff Hendrick and Alan Browne will miss the four-day training camp as they recover from injury but are expected to be in contention for the Greece and Gibraltar matches in June.

Chiedozie Ogbene will report for the camp to continue his assessment and rehabilitation from a hamstring injury whilst Andrew Omobamidele, Callum Robinson and Seamus Coleman have all been ruled out of the upcoming qualifiers through injury.

Middlesbrough defender Darragh Lenihan and Peterborough United midfielder Jack Taylor will not be involved with the training camp due to their club's participation in the EFL play-offs.

All Premier League players remain in action for their clubs as well as Mikey Johnston at Vitoria de Guimaraes, Jamie McGrath at Dundee United and Matt Doherty at Atlético Madrid who continue their domestic seasons."

Interesting that McNally whose had a great 2023 wasn't name checked alongside Lenihan and Taylor.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:55am

Azaz,Omobamidele,Connell,Coventry all notable omissions?

What is the story with Omobamidele? With rumours of a transfer is that his focus over the next week or two? Fair enough if it is.

Also the lack of urgency to bring in fresh faces into the midfield places compared to other areas on the pitch has been a bit disappointing particularly now we have a few playing well and making progress like Connell and Coventry. 

Also no disrespect to McLoughlin who is an honest pro no doubt but with the CB options we have it would be absolutely ridiculous having him on the pitch as anything other then 9th choice.

Omobamidele is injured and Connell is still involved in the play offs.

Fair on Connell sorry. Omabamidele loves a niggly injuries.

Don't think Connell would have been named anyway as wasn't name checked alongside Lenihan and Taylor as two who were missing because of the play offs.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 11:02am

From the FAI press release:

"Jeff Hendrick and Alan Browne will miss the four-day training camp as they recover from injury but are expected to be in contention for the Greece and Gibraltar matches in June.

Chiedozie Ogbene will report for the camp to continue his assessment and rehabilitation from a hamstring injury whilst Andrew Omobamidele, Callum Robinson and Seamus Coleman have all been ruled out of the upcoming qualifiers through injury.

Middlesbrough defender Darragh Lenihan and Peterborough United midfielder Jack Taylor will not be involved with the training camp due to their club's participation in the EFL play-offs.

All Premier League players remain in action for their clubs as well as Mikey Johnston at Vitoria de Guimaraes, Jamie McGrath at Dundee United and Matt Doherty at Atlético Madrid who continue their domestic seasons."

Interesting that McNally whose had a great 2023 wasn't name checked alongside Lenihan and Taylor.

McNally and Ebosele not being namechecked is very strange.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 11:10am
Maybe in the Premier League/other leagues paragraph they just name checked players that were in the last squad - McGrath, Johnston and Doherty. These blurbs are sometimes just written by the PR lads, I wouldn't necessarily read too much into it.

Would be interested to know about Szmodics though. Currently on a golfing holiday in Portugal apparently.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 11:13am
So can we put all this 'Kenny hating Ryan Manning' stuff to rest 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 11:23am
Sammie Szmodics not interested in playing for the Eire?
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Sammie Szmodics not interested in playing for the Eire?
Probably not. 27, uncapped and unlikely to ever be a nailed on starter. Gets to spend an extra month or so a year with his family or doing whatever he wants.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

So can we put all this 'Kenny hating Ryan Manning' stuff to rest 

Not really. It's only a training camp. If he hadn't called him up, he would have been criticised. 

Calling him up and then snubbing him for Greece and Malta is still a possibility.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 11:57am
Managers 'snubbing' players has always happened. 

You could look back through every squad in the last 50 years and pick out a particular player whereby the supporters think player X should have been included instead of player Y.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 11:57am
I would have called up Andy Lyons and Finn Azaz if they are fit.

Warren O'Hora might have been worth a look at as well.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Managers 'snubbing' players has always happened. 

You could look back through every squad in the last 50 years and pick out a particular player whereby the supporters think player X should have been included instead of player Y.

Yeah. Doesn't make the manager right though.

Lampard didn't fancy Doucouré at Everton. Dyche brught him in from the cold and he's now given Everton a chance at staying up.

Eze wasn't Vieira's favourite player at Palace. Since Hodgson returned, Eze has made a show of Vieira with his performances.

Managers gravitate to certain players.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 12:11pm
Looking through that, there are no huge surprises

GK - No real issue. I dont see the point in bringing over the 2 Irish based lads mid-season though, could have had a look at the likes of Bonham, McGinty, Harrington. 
WB - No problem with Farrugia's inclusion, looks a good player, but it's a bit of a kick in the teeth for Andy Lyons who bit the bullet, made the leap and scored 4 or 5 Chship goals since January. 
CB - Good to see Mc Loughlin get recognition after a good season, but as others have said McGuinness and perhaps Cashin had strong claims also. 
CM - Disappointing not to see Coventry but may be injury related, ditto Azaz (although why not invite them in for a chat) 
ST - Good to see Cannon called up, but dont think he will make the final squad. Keane perhaps surprisingly seems to remain in the plans. Assuming Connolly remains injured.

Could spell the end of the line for Brady, Stevens, Hourihane, Hogan, Szmodics and Jack Byrne

No real issues, Lyons, Coventry and Azaz the  surprising omissions, but at least 2 of those may be injury related.

Edited by John Nice - 18 May 2023 at 12:18pm
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 12:12pm
The manager has to make that decision - and it's easy to say a player X could have played better than player Y. Especially when player Y doesn't have a particularly good game.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Has just been relegated to League Two. You've other lads like Dunne and McGuinness who'd easily be ahead of him.

Even in League One could even name Paudie O'Connor ahead of him whose a year older and had a decent first season at League One level. Sean Roughan another whose played LCB for Lincoln and long term that's probably his best position. Could be on the move to the championship this summer.

Edited by J89 - 18 May 2023 at 12:14pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 12:17pm

Agree on the first 2 and add Coventry to that list also.

Dont agree wit the other, O'Hora has just been relegated to L2, not saying he's bad player, but he's not particularly young. Lads like Dunne, McGuinness and Cashin certainly deserve to be there ahead of him.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 12:19pm

Has just been relegated to League Two. You've other lads like Dunne and McGuinness who'd easily be ahead of him.

Even in League One could even name Paudie O'Connor ahead of him whose a year older and had a decent first season at League One level. Sean Roughan another whose played LCB for Lincoln and long term that's probably his best position. Could be on the move to the championship this summer.

Liam Scales and even Dan Casey too although SPL players werent considered.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
  Share Topic