You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 9:59am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Neil Farrugia. Hmmm. His inclusion tells me Kenny's internal loyalty to what a player could/can be gets the better of him. Had been constantly doing it with Ireland squads. Needs to lose his romantic/idealistic side of how he sees players and be more cutthroat.

Farrugia is a classy player, he's probably the player in the LOI with the best mix of skill and physical attributes to make it at a high level. I had a feeling Kenny would include him, he's a big fan of his.

I'm saying this from the perspective of watching him a lot. Kenny still sees the player of the under 21's. The potential. I get that. Loyalty is an admiral trait to have, but there is a tipping point, and Kenny I feel is blinded by loyalty at times. 

Neil has some petty decent performances this season. I get Kenny calling him up, absolutely. I just didn't see an Ireland call up. Once again, another samey player in the forward line, who is no improvement (if that) on what we have. 
Sponsored Links

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:02am
Omobamidele out of the June games according to the FAI, so it's good to see O'Shea in for the camp & hopefully build back up more fitness ahead of June
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:03am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Interesting squad and good to see the likes of Cannon and McNamara in there. Mark McGuinness is a surprising omission though and I hope it's not a case that he turned down a call up or anything like that. Obviously we have a lot of centre backs, but his ceiling is absolutely miles above Sean McLoughlin's.

Interesting also that he's bringing over two keepers from Ireland to make up the numbers rather than digging any deeper into the GK pool in England (e.g. Jack Bonham at Stoke). But to be fair, after the three regular keepers and O'Leary, there's a big drop off in quality anyway.

Doubt he was called up and don't think he'd turn down a call up. Especially just for a training squad. His only other possible option is NI and think it's too early in his career before he'd consider them.

Interesting that Omobamidele wasn't named and think maybe with Lenihan he's probably letting him get a rest in since his season only finished last night.

Disappointed not to see Azaz or Coventry named in the squad. Two midfielders we should be looking closer at and hoping they can start breaking through next season.

Just see Omobamidele is injured.

Edited by J89 - 18 May 2023 at 10:04am
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:08am

Neil Farrugia. Hmmm. His inclusion tells me Kenny's internal loyalty to what a player could/can be gets the better of him. Had been constantly doing it with Ireland squads. Needs to lose his romantic/idealistic side of how he sees players and be more cutthroat.

I can see where you're coming from for sure (Horgan springs to mind in first year of Kenny), but equally lads like Ogbene and more recently Mikey Johnston have shown they have something to offer, when most would have thought they weren't playing at a high enough level (or playing at all).
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:14am
I would say it's a bit strange we didn't just name say, a 30 man squad to get a look at everyone. Guys like McGuinness, Coventry, Azaz, Szmodics and Mandroiu are very unlucky not to be included. Bonham can count himself unlucky to be behind Talbot and Maher as well, he's playing at a higher level and tbh is just a better keeper. A bigger squad might also have afforded us the chance to cast an eye over more fringe younger players like Armstrong and Vaughan, but what can you do.
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:15am
Coventry is injured I think. But I'm not sure he's done enough at Rotherham anyway (though it's still not clear who the backup for Cullen is - just Molumby dropping back?).

Also just realised he seems to have gone for Farrugia over Szmodics - that's an interesting call...

But, aside from all that, the big story here is that Cannon is in. Hopefully he will be straight into the main squad and get his first cap next month. He's more than ready for it.

Edited by You Tell Me - 18 May 2023 at 10:19am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:16am

Farrugia is a classy player, he's probably the player in the LOI with the best mix of skill and physical attributes to make it at a high level. I had a feeling Kenny would include him, he's a big fan of his.

I'm saying this from the perspective of watching him a lot. Kenny still sees the player of the under 21's. The potential. I get that. Loyalty is an admiral trait to have, but there is a tipping point, and Kenny I feel is blinded by loyalty at times. 

Neil has some petty decent performances this season. I get Kenny calling him up, absolutely. I just didn't see an Ireland call up. Once again, another samey player in the forward line, who is no improvement (if that) on what we have. 

If you think Farrugia is a forward then you've not seen as much of him as you are making out. 
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Smile

If you think Farrugia is a forward then you've not seen as much of him as you are making out. 
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:20am

He's turning 24 tomorrow and has 1 goal and 1 assist in the LOI this season. He's not making it a high level but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a good League One or middling Championship player.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:21am

Coventry is injured I think. But I'm not sure he's done enough at Rotherham anyway (though it's still not clear who the backup for Cullen is - just Molumby dropping back?).

Also just realised he seems to have gone for Farrugia over Szmodics - that's an interesting call...

But, aside from all that, the big story here is that Cannon is in. Hopefully he will be straight into the main squad and get his first cap next month. He's more than ready for it.

Farrugia plays wing back.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:25am
Azaz should have been looked at.

Especially in this type of a meet up nothing to lose 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:28am

Interesting squad and good to see the likes of Cannon and McNamara in there. Mark McGuinness is a surprising omission though and I hope it's not a case that he turned down a call up or anything like that. Obviously we have a lot of centre backs, but his ceiling is absolutely miles above Sean McLoughlin's.

Interesting also that he's bringing over two keepers from Ireland to make up the numbers rather than digging any deeper into the GK pool in England (e.g. Jack Bonham at Stoke). But to be fair, after the three regular keepers and O'Leary, there's a big drop off in quality anyway.

Hourihane's omission presumably confirms the end of his international career. Azaz clearly not on the senior radar at this point in time, but I'd rate him ahead of Farrugia personally.

What an opinion. McLoughlin is a better player than McGuinness imo and can't see that changing any time in the future either. Smashing defender who had the advantage of being left footed and comfortable on the ball the same I feel cannot be said of McGuinness who is an old fashioned type and liable to make a mistake quite often.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:33am
Azaz,Omobamidele,Connell,Coventry all notable omissions?

What is the story with Omobamidele? With rumours of a transfer is that his focus over the next week or two? Fair enough if it is.

Also the lack of urgency to bring in fresh faces into the midfield places compared to other areas on the pitch has been a bit disappointing particularly now we have a few playing well and making progress like Connell and Coventry. 

Also no disrespect to McLoughlin who is an honest pro no doubt but with the CB options we have it would be absolutely ridiculous having him on the pitch as anything other then 9th choice.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:35am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

What is the story with Omobamidele? With rumours of a transfer is that his focus over the next week or two? Fair enough if it is.

Also the lack of urgency to bring in fresh faces into the midfield places compared to other areas on the pitch has been a bit disappointing particularly now we have a few playing well and making progress like Connell and Coventry. 

Also no disrespect to McLoughlin who is an honest pro no doubt but with the CB options we have it would be absolutely ridiculous having him on the pitch as anything other then 9th choice.

Omobamidele is injured and Connell is still involved in the play offs.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Azaz should have been looked at.

Especially in this type of a meet up nothing to lose 
I think he's struggled for fitness towards the tail end of this season. He's probably being given the summer to recover now.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:38am
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Hourihane's omission presumably confirms the end of his international career. Azaz clearly not on the senior radar at this point in time, but I'd rate him ahead of Farrugia personally.

What an opinion. McLoughlin is a better player than McGuinness imo and can't see that changing any time in the future either. Smashing defender who had the advantage of being left footed and comfortable on the ball the same I feel cannot be said of McGuinness who is an old fashioned type and liable to make a mistake quite often.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I take the point about McLoughlin being a left footer as most of our centre backs are right footed, but I have have watched a fair bit of both McLoughlin and McGuinness - McGuinness has kicked on massively this season and looks like he could be a Premier League player in two or three years if he keeps progressing at his current rate. Being a big unit disguises that his all round game is tidy enough I think. 

McLoughlin always strikes me as the one with more of a mistake in him. He's not a bad player by any means, but I don't see him going much higher than mid table Championship, unless he finds another level from what I've seen so far, and he's four years older than McGuinness so less likely to do that I would say.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:41am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Fair on Connell sorry. Omabamidele loves a niggly injuries.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:45am

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Fair on Connell sorry. Omabamidele loves a niggly injuries.

I'm sure he doesn't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
  Share Topic