You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that Azaz was still having some issues with his ankle injury which was the reason he was not starting games towards the end of the season. So that might hinder any chances he has of being involved in June.

This mini camp in England is a great opportunity to look at players player regularly in the Championship or playing well in League One and increase the squad depth. With our luck with injuries we need that depth. There is opportunities there for these players to break into the squad with the current injuries and fitness issues on some of the squad regulars.

Personally I would like to see Szmodics, Cannon, Ebosele, McNally, Lenihan and Manning added in an extended final squad for June. Enough there to cover Coleman, O'Shea, Browne, O'Dowda, Brady, Ogbene, Robinson etc if they are injured/struggling with fitness.
Szmodics, Ebosele, Lenihan and Manning have involved in squads before but Cannon and McNally have not so I would not expect them to play this window if they got the call up. I don't think Kenny has played a new player to the squad in their first call up recently.

Agreed it is a good chance to have a proper look at some of the up and coming lads.

On a side note, it's not beyond the realms that we could have as many as 9 starting players in the PL next season. Obviously dependent on a few things Kelleher/Doherty/Manning getting moves and Boro going up but our first XI could look sthing like this

Kelleher
Doherty/Coleman
Manning/Stevens
Collins
Egan
Lenihan
Cullen
Molumby
Knight
Obafemi
Ferguson/Cannon

It's entirely possible that only Molumby and Knight will not be featuring in the PL, that's some turn around from a couple of years back. 

Outside chance that the likes of Azaz gets a chance at Villa also or a promoted club takes a punt on Ogbene. McNally could be retained by Burnley while Parrott, Cannon, Hendrick, Connolly and Duffy remain under contract to PL clubs. Even Omo and O'Shea could have PL suitors while Festy will hopefully be featuring regularly in Serie A.

Edited by John Nice - 16 May 2023 at 2:42pm
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 3:20pm
I'm all in favour of having a Trap/MoN style 40 man squad for the few days training in the UK.
Good to get new faces around the team, and doesn't automatically mean that they have to be called up to the actual squad in June. 
The dark side.. And the light
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

I'm all in favour of having a Trap/MoN style 40 man squad for the few days training in the UK.
Good to get new faces around the team, and doesn't automatically mean that they have to be called up to the actual squad in June. 

Here's a 22 man squad of uncapped lads 25 or under, but no longer U21 eligible, some of these are well worth a look. I could probably name another 10 also - Lee O'Connor, Devoy, Grant, Tierney, Kayode, Farrugia, Scully, Kerrigan, Tom O'Connor, Noss, Johansson, Elbouzedi, O'Keefe, Louis Watson, Doyle-Hayes

B. MAHER E. MC GINTY
D. MC NAMARA P. KIOSO
A. LYONS W. FERRY
L. MC NALLY J. O'BRIEN
M. MC GUINNESS W. O'HORA
E. CASHIN J. BAGAN
C. COVENTRY G. KILKENNY
J. TAYLOR L. CONNELL
C. RONAN T. WRIGHT
F. AZAZ D. MANDROIU
A. KEENA P. OMOCHERE

Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Agreed, the actual squad should be in or around the 26 man mark as it has been for previous windows, but getting a look at lads on the fringes (and giving them the impetus to push on next season) is important also. I still think there is a clear rationale for a B international at some point, maybe against a LoI selection..
Idah Dream!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

GK - Bazunu, Kelleher, Travers
Wing Backs - Doherty, Coleman???, Mc Clean, O'Dowda???
Centre Backs - Collins, Egan, O'Shea??? Omobamidele
Centre Mid - Cullen, Molumby, Knight, Hendrick, Browne???
Attacking Mid/Wingers - Smallbone, Johnston, McGrath
Forwards - Ferguson, Ogbene, Obafemi, Idah, Robinson???, Parrott

Fringes
GK - O'Leary
Wing Backs - Manning, Brady, Ebosele, Sykes, Christie???
Centre Backs - Lenihan, Duffy, McNally
Centre Mids - Coventry, Taylor, Hodge
Attacking Mids - Ronan, Azaz, Moran, Szmodics, Jack Byrne
Forwards - Cannon, Keane, Hogan, Connolly???

Not sure on the injury status of Coleman, O'Dowda, O'Shea, Browne, Robinson, Christie and Connolly. Their absence could see the likes of Ebosele, McNally, Taylor get call ups. I'll add in any others people think are realistic prospects. Those in bold are U21 eligible. Those in red are confirmed out with injury, so any updates are welcome.

A team from your Fringes panel would be very capable of beating your Probables. The only major factor is Ferguson - in fact, the Fringes team have buckets more proven scoring power. Currently, Obafemi, Robinson, Parrott and Idah are dead in the water. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Fringes
GK - O'Leary

Not sure on the injury status of Coleman, O'Dowda, O'Shea, Browne, Robinson, Christie and Connolly. Their absence could see the likes of Ebosele, McNally, Taylor get call ups. I'll add in any others people think are realistic prospects. Those in bold are U21 eligible. Those in red are confirmed out with injury, so any updates are welcome.

A team from your Fringes panel would be very capable of beating your Probables. The only major factor is Ferguson - in fact, the Fringes team have buckets more proven scoring power. Currently, Obafemi, Robinson, Parrott and Idah are dead in the water. 

Wouldnt entirely disagree with you there Brick. The probables are pretty much the last squad we named (bar Keane and Brady). Anyway good to have strength in depth and we are starting to see that in most positions now.

Tbf to Robinson, he was having a pretty good season prior to injury, while Obafemi has scored a reasonable number of goals despite not getting enough game time. Idah is really just coming back after a couple of long term injuries while Troy has had a disappointing season, although he was showing signs of improvement in his play towards the end. Dead in the water is a stretch, I'd prefer to say not at the peak of their powers.

Edited by John Nice - 16 May 2023 at 3:48pm
Idah Dream!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 3:47pm

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Fringes
GK - O'Leary

Wouldnt entirely disagree with you there Brick. The probables are pretty much the last squad we named (bar Keane and Brady). Anyway good to have strength in depth and we are starting to see that in most positions now.
Good opening post, John, to set the wheels in motion.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 3:49pm
Looking at lads I feel closest to a call-up to an extended squad..

Taylor is a miss being involved in the play-off final barring some mad result in the 2nd leg.

I assume Ronan won't travel from the US and they are playing weekly so doubt his club would appreciate him jetting off to Europe for a few kickabouts.

One of McNally or Lenihan won't be available.  The other should be in for sure and is close to an actual squad-place, particularly Lenihan.

Ebosele's season doesn't end until June 3rd, so doubt we'll see him involved (should be close to an actual squad place though).

Edited by Fozz - 16 May 2023 at 3:49pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Looking at lads I feel closest to a call-up to an extended squad..

Taylor is a miss being involved in the play-off final barring some mad result in the 2nd leg.

I assume Ronan won't travel from the US and they are playing weekly so doubt his club would appreciate him jetting off to Europe for a few kickabouts.

One of McNally or Lenihan won't be available.  The other should be in for sure and is close to an actual squad-place, particularly Lenihan.

Ebosele's season doesn't end until June 3rd, so doubt we'll see him involved (should be close to an actual squad place though).

Aye, I'd assume Ronan and Ebosele can only be released for the official international window, so wouldn't be eligible for release for the training camp in England.
Idah Dream!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 5:59pm
I presume he'll be naming the squad earlier than usual given how there's going to be an extended squad initially for the training camps. 

Edited by irishmufc - 16 May 2023 at 5:59pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I presume he'll be naming the squad earlier than usual given how there's going to be an extended squad initially for the training camps. 
Doubt it.
The UK camp is only to look at those who's seasons have finished. 4 days next week and then the squad for June meets on 5th June.

More than likely just name the standard 26 or 28 man squad for Turkey & the 2 games.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 11:18pm
One person who definitely won't be at the UK training camp is Luke McNally with Coventry advancing to the play off final.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 9:01am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

One person who definitely won't be at the UK training camp is Luke McNally with Coventry advancing to the play off final.

Unfortunately for us, the Chship Play Off Final despite featuring 2 hot beds for Irish settlement over the years in Luton and Coventry, will likely only have one Irishman starting in McNally and given that he is only there on loan, he may not even benefit from any promotion.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 9:51am
If Coventry get promoted can see McNally going back there on loan. Tbf still think Burnley might use him in a player plus cash deal to try sign either Gyökeres or Hamer.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 9:51am
Neil Farrugia. Hmmm. His inclusion tells me Kenny's internal loyalty to what a player could/can be gets the better of him. Had been constantly doing it with Ireland squads. Needs to lose his romantic/idealistic side of how he sees players and be more cutthroat.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 9:53am
Ireland Squad - Bristol Training Camp

Squad: Max O'Leary (Bristol City), James Talbot (Bohemians), Brian Maher (Derry City); Danny McNamara (Millwall), Callum O'Dowda (Cardiff City), James McClean (Wigan Athletic), Ryan Manning (Swansea City), John Egan (Sheffield United), Dara O'Shea (West Bromwich Albion), Sean McLaughlin (Hull City); Jayson Molumby (West Bromwich Albion), Josh Cullen (Burnley), Will Smallbone (Southampton), Mark Sykes (Bristol City), Neil Farrugia (Shamrock Rovers), Jason Knight (Derby County); Chiedozie Ogbene (Rotherham United), Tom Cannon (Everton), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur), Michael Obafemi (Burnley), Adam Idah (Norwich City), Will Keane (Wigan Athletic).
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 9:53am
Interesting squad and good to see the likes of Cannon and McNamara in there. Mark McGuinness is a surprising omission though and I hope it's not a case that he turned down a call up or anything like that. Obviously we have a lot of centre backs, but his ceiling is absolutely miles above Sean McLoughlin's.

Interesting also that he's bringing over two keepers from Ireland to make up the numbers rather than digging any deeper into the GK pool in England (e.g. Jack Bonham at Stoke). But to be fair, after the three regular keepers and O'Leary, there's a big drop off in quality anyway.

Hourihane's omission presumably confirms the end of his international career. Azaz clearly not on the senior radar at this point in time, but I'd rate him ahead of Farrugia personally.

Edited by You Tell Me - 18 May 2023 at 10:02am
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Neil Farrugia. Hmmm. His inclusion tells me Kenny's internal loyalty to what a player could/can be gets the better of him. Had been constantly doing it with Ireland squads. Needs to lose his romantic/idealistic side of how he sees players and be more cutthroat.

Farrugia is a classy player, he's probably the player in the LOI with the best mix of skill and physical attributes to make it at a high level. I had a feeling Kenny would include him, he's a big fan of his.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
  Share Topic