You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 21222324>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Its an awful pity Ogbene isn't fit for this game

He's definitely a loss, but he actually hasn't been selected to start that often in the big games over the last few years. Of the 9 games we have played vs higher ranked opposition in this and the last two campaigns (France, Scotland, Ukraine, Portugal Serbia), he has only started 3 (Portugal H 0-0, Ukraine H 0-1 and France H 0-1). Didnt feature at all in our 3-0 win over Scotland.

That's not to say he's not a miss, just hopefully not a terminal one. it does look like the kind of game that would suit him.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 3:58pm
He defo would have started this game. I really like him as a player and is composed enough to put away a chance.
I love beer gardens
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 4:05pm

He defo would have started this game. I really like him as a player and is composed enough to put away a chance.

For sure, I'd have had him in if fit. He finished the season strongly and was our best player against France.
Idah Dream!
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 4:11pm
Expect McClean to feature in both upcoming games and reach 100 caps.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

He's definitely a loss, but he actually hasn't been selected to start that often in the big games over the last few years. Of the 9 games we have played vs higher ranked opposition in this and the last two campaigns (France, Scotland, Ukraine, Portugal Serbia), he has only started 3 (Portugal H 0-0, Ukraine H 0-1 and France H 0-1). Didnt feature at all in our 3-0 win over Scotland.

That's not to say he's not a miss, just hopefully not a terminal one. it does look like the kind of game that would suit him.

Well would be hard to feature in the away game against Serbia as he wasn't yet capped at that stage and missed the triple header with Portugal away and Serbia at home because of injury.

Edited by J89 - 14 Jun 2023 at 4:22pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Well would be hard to feature in the away game against Serbia as he wasn't yet capped at that stage and missed the triple header with Portugal away and Serbia at home because of injury.

Apologies, what I meant to say is that he hasnt played in that many of them, rather than hasnt been selected. Obviously some of the absences were as you describe and some were injury related, but not all.
Idah Dream!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 5:17pm

You don’t know that! There’s no definitive evidence to suggest he would have started despite your hyperbole. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

You don’t know that! There’s no definitive evidence to suggest he would have started despite your hyperbole. 

Call it an educated guess then. If you can manage that.
I love beer gardens
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 8:32pm
Only 7000 tickets sold by the Greeks so far according to this article: https://www.gazzetta.gr/football/prokrimatika-euro/2230549/ethniki-elladas-ehoyn-fygei-liga-parapano-apo-7000-eisitiria-gia?fbclid=IwAR0k9fIBV7cM2OE1ux-1jKWob6hgv0SIDO1h95bK2GHC53XT153xFINus28

I don't know if this includes our 2,600, but it's not going to be a very intimidating atmosphere by the looks of things.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 2:23am
as an aside - I don't want to start a new thread - anyone know any pubs in London that will be showing the match. I'm unsure now the matches are on Viaplay sports
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 7:05am
Same question but for belfast, norn iron playing too, would places out west be showing greek gsme?
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 8:34am
Think it's on Viaplay Sports Extra which is a freeview channel (it used to be called Freesports) so I'm sure the pubs should be well able to have it on. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 9:16am
As widely expected, Scales and Taylor are the two to miss out on the matchday squad.
Idah Dream!
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 6:33pm
Bazunu
Doherty
Collins
Egan
Lennihan
Odowda
Cullen
Molumby
Smallbone
Idah
Ferguson 
Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 6:59pm

Smallbone and Idah (even allowing for the managers high opinion of the latter) probably a surprise there, but not disappointed with either. Hoping for a big win 

Edited by Cabs88 - 16 Jun 2023 at 7:00pm
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 1:35pm
XI vs Malta:

Johnston------Ferguson------Obafemi

McGrath------Smallbone

Cullen

McClean------Lenihan-----Egan-----Collins

Bazunu

Kenny surely can't start O'Dowda after last night, so McClean should start his 100th game in an Irish shirt. Doherty is suspended. Collins and O'Shea have played at RB at club level. Knight has too this season.

I'd switch to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

Kenny probably won't change formation, but he really should. If he continues to play with wing backs, then Sykes might start at RWB.

Johnston deserves a start. That front three could cause Gibraltar problems.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

XI vs Malta:

McGrath------Smallbone

Cullen

Bazunu

Kenny surely can't start O'Dowda after last night, so McClean should start his 100th game in an Irish shirt. Doherty is suspended. Collins and O'Shea have played at RB at club level. Knight has too this season.

Kenny probably won't change formation, but he really should. If he continues to play with wing backs, then Sykes might start at RWB.

Think he'll stick with the 3 at the back, I'd go with

Kelleher

Collins Egan O'Shea
Sykes Mc Clean
Cullen
Knight Smallbone

Ferguson Obafemi

Probably worthwhile getting Jimmy Mac's 100th cap put to bed now, as he may be playing LI come the new season. I'd seriously consider Jack Taylor over Cullen given his performance last night, but probably too risky. If we can get a decent lead in the game, we should be trying to give as many lads (who let's not forget have given up 4 to 6 weeks of their summer) as we can, at least a little game time.
Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 2:04pm

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

XI vs Malta:

McGrath------Smallbone

Cullen

Bazunu

Think he'll stick with the 3 at the back, I'd go with

Kelleher

Collins Egan O'Shea
Sykes Mc Clean
Cullen
Knight Smallbone

Ferguson Obafemi

Probably worthwhile getting Jimmy Mac's 100th cap put to bed now, as he may be playing LI come the new season. I'd seriously consider Jack Taylor over Cullen given his performance last night, but probably too risky. If we can get a decent lead in the game, we should be trying to give as many lads (who let's not forget have given up 4 to 6 weeks of their summer) as we can, at least a little game time.

Bazunu doesn't deserve to be dropped or rested.

I agree that Kenny will likely not do anything drastic formation wise.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 21222324>
  Share Topic