You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 10:16am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Could be this based on media out in turkey:

Bazunu
Browne--Collins--Egan--O'Shea--Doherty
Molumby--Cullen--Knight
Ferguson--Johnston

So Browne getting the nod and no O'Dowda, McClean, Smallbone, Obefemi to start. 

I like Browne as a right-back when facing teams that are not considered top-tier. 

He has shown his competence in that position during matches against Scotland at home and Ukraine away. 

He also possesses goal-scoring ability and can contribute to our attacks with a decent range of passing going forward.

It's worth noting that despite being played out of position in half of his appearances for Ireland, Browne has managed to score five goals in 29 matches, which is quite impressive.
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 11:11am
When did Dara O'Shea last play? Can he be fit to start?
I love beer gardens
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 11:17am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

When did Dara O'Shea last play? Can he be fit to start?

Yeah, Lenihan would seem the prudent choice and start O'Shea v's Gibraltar.

Edited by Fozz - 13 Jun 2023 at 11:18am
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Bazunu
Molumby--Cullen--Knight
Ferguson--Johnston

No way will he go with that.  No way Pedro!

Kenny definitely rates Browne, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Johnston starting is the only thing that stands out as dubious from that XI.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 11:43am
Does Doherty definitely start if Browne is right back?
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 12:54pm
Browne has/had a calf injury and was only able to play 30mins from the training games in Turkey so I'd say he's doubtful to start. In saying that, wouldn't be to aggrieved to see him start in that RB position if fit.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Bazunu
Molumby--Cullen--Knight
Ferguson--Johnston

No way will he go with that.  No way Pedro!

I think he might, but it will be more like the box midfield used vs France with Knight shifting over to the RHS and Johnston playing the Ogbene role, but on the LHS. Only real difference to the team I had suggested further up is Browne over Mc Clean with Doherty shifting to the LHS and Johnston over Smallbone, where I had suggested that Johnston might be more effectively used off the bench vs tiring legs. That team wouldnt surprise me in the slightest. Obafemi was never likely to start this one imo (he will likely finish it).

Edited by John Nice - 13 Jun 2023 at 1:17pm
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Does Doherty definitely start if Browne is right back?

Of course he does, there's a reason he is the only player in recent years to have made it to a CL level club. He was also excellent vs France despite a lack of minutes. Doherty is one of the first names on the team sheet imo. Hopefully his club situation will be properly resolved this summer. Vital player for us.
Idah Dream!
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 1:55pm

Bazunu
Molumby--Cullen--Knight
Ferguson--Johnston

I'd be pretty happy with that team. Maybe McLean over Browne to start, but be happy either way
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Bazunu
Molumby--Cullen--Knight
Ferguson--Johnston

I'd be pretty happy with that team. Maybe McLean over Browne to start, but be happy either way

Aye, there's really only 2 or 3 what I would describe as "marginal" calls in there 

1) Browne over McClean
2) O'Shea over Lenihan and that's only due to fitness concerns when the Irish physio team are surely more informed in that regard than we are and
3) Johnston over Obafemi/Another striker or Smallbone

I dont see anything particularly controversial in that selection. Browne has played admirably for us at RWB previously and played a number of games there for PNE during the season, while Johnston might be the closest thing we have in the squad to Ogbene albeit he operates on the other flank, but to balance that Knight is definitely better on the RHS.
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 3:01pm
I see a lot of "if we play like we did against France..." but this is a totally different challenge. Not much of what we did there is applicable.

We had 34% possession vs France, we'll certainly be looking to hold on to the ball more vs Greece, and look to make them do more of the running, because if we don't we'll be knackered by half time. We need players who can hold on to the ball & use it well (I've said before, Manning would have been perfect for this game).

That means NO McClean, he gives the ball away far too much. Beyond that, he simply doesn't have the legs for international football anymore.

It should also mean no Knight as he doesn't off enough in possession. McGrath or Smallbone should get the nod, both far more technical than Knight. Both are good on set-pieces too, something that went against us vs France only having Cullen taking them and they were poor all game (up until the very last 2).
 I'd lean McGrath as he's done it in big games for us before, he's got a bit of pace & he's match-fit having played right up to the end of May.

The only question is "who partners Ferguson?" Obafemi can't as he's only started 2 games since November and is very injury prone.
So it's Idah (pace & hold up play) or Parrott (proven a legitimate starter vs this level of opposition)

[TP or AI]    Ferguson
                 McGrath
O'Dowda Cullen Molumby Doherty
         Lenihan Egan Collins
                  Bazunu

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 3:29pm
McClean or O'Dowda won't start if Doherty is playing LWB (where he has performed best under Kenny). Can see Kenny sticking with him there. If he was to shift across to RWB, I would go with O'Dowda personally with Mcclean to come on against tired Greek legs
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 3:52pm
Another thing, you simply can't load your team up with players who haven't played/been injured for months. Playing a bunch of half-fit players in the heat is part of what killed us last year vs Armenia.

O'Shea hasn't kicked a ball since March due to injury.
Obafemi has only started 2 games since November, partially due to injury.
Browne has been injured since April 7th and only managed 20mins in the training game at the weekend (missed the Bristol camp entirely).

Doherty only played 15 mins at Atletico, he's the only one we can get away with.

Collins at least got a few sub-appearances & started the last 2 games for Wolves, but still not ideal.

McClean or O'Dowda won't start if Doherty is playing LWB (where he has performed best under Kenny). Can see Kenny sticking with him there. If he was to shift across to RWB, I would go with O'Dowda personally with Mcclean to come on against tired Greek legs

It'll be Doherty & O'Dowda to start. Kenny likes O'Dowda for his pace, & has clearly been building him up over the November & March windows.

If you put Doherty on the left then you'd have to play Sykes at RWB (because Browne isn't fit to start), and I just can't see that happening. O'Dowda is a lot more prepared to start than Sykes.

Edited by Greenie50 - 13 Jun 2023 at 3:57pm
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 9:36pm
Ya I heard reports that Browne is still nursing injury and struggling with match fitness, with only playing 20 minutes in the 11 V 11 70 minute match.
I can't see Browne starting so but I would have not minded him starting in the RWB role, similar to what he did against Scotland and playing Doherty LWB. McClean and O'Dowda can be a bit dodgy defensively  at times.
Somebody mentioned McClean's experience and influence could be a deciding factor due to having a very young team. Other than Egan(30yo), Doherty(31yo) and Cullen(27yo) , the rest of the usual starters are very young collectively, Bazunu(21yo, Collins(22yo), O'Shea(24yo), Molumby(23yo), Knight(22yo), Ferguson(18yo). Might be a good shout to have McClean in there, he has been there on done that before.
I see a photo or two of the 11V11 floating around. One was Ferguson in a green shirt and Smallbone in a white shirt, the other pic of Ferguson again in a green shirt and Hendrick in a white shirt. I assume the players playing in the green shirts were going to be what the management hopes is the starting team V Greece and the players in white shirts are the subsfringe players. Just assuming this tho.

Edited by darman28 - 13 Jun 2023 at 9:37pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 10:01pm
Yes the green shirt players lined up as us and the white shirt players were lined up to how they expect Greece to play.

Some players though switched between green and white for the game with McClean, Obafemi, Knight, and Smallbone wearing both. So would assume O'Dowda also wore both if McClean switched.

Think it was Bazunu, Collins, Egan, O'Shea, Doherty, Cullen, Molumby, Ferguson who just wore green in the match going by Twitter the other day. Idah didn't feature as he was ill.
DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 10:10pm
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Yes the green shirt players lined up as us and the white shirt players were lined up to how they expect Greece to play.

Some players though switched between green and white for the game with McClean, Obafemi, Knight, and Smallbone wearing both. So would assume O'Dowda also wore both if McClean switched.

Think it was Bazunu, Collins, Egan, O'Shea, Doherty, Cullen, Molumby, Ferguson who just wore green in the match going by Twitter the other day. Idah didn't feature as he was ill.

That is very interesting, thanks for the info.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 10:46am
did some checking on away wins in European Championship qualifiers
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
  Share Topic