You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 24>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 10:33am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

I really can’t understand the Cannon situation.

Fair enough he hasn’t trained due to illness but the games are weeks away he has plenty of time to get ready

We know he is a better finisher than some of our other options.

We all know Kenny is slow to bring new faces in so the best he was going to get was a substitute appearance.

I know I would much rather see him coming off the bench in Greece to get a goal rather than his team mate Parrot.

I just can’t see why Kenny does this to himself you have to have space in your squads for form players.

Either Cannon has hinted politely that he’s not 100% ready to commit to the senior team yet. 

Or due to missing out on illness Kenny has decided the camp was needed to integrate him into the first team. 

If it’s the former fair enough keep him in the 21s if he wants to play there. 

If it’s the latter the lad has scored 8 in 20 for Preston of all clubs in his first year playing men’s football no easy feat for any striker then Kenny shouldn’t need a random end of season training camp in Bristol to justify his inclusion. Just nonsense tbh. 

I have no doubt the lad had tonsillitis not questioning his honesty. Either way he will be an asset to the 21s if he doesn’t get called
up to the seniors. 

Which doesn't really make any sense though because you've now got a longer training camp to integrate him in. Also not like you're dropping someone from the 25 man squad to bring him as it would have likely been a 26 man squad anyway had Chiedozie been fit.

Complete hipster nonsense if that’s the case isn’t it. 

Look who knows. Not judging the lad either way. If he plays for our 21s it’s a promising sign as he wouldn’t far off the running for an English 21s call up on his Preston form. 

Gibbs White,Gordon,Smith Rowe,Madueke,Archer the current 5 attackers picked. 

After that Cannon would be close to next in line along with the likes of Edozie,Palmer,Gelhardt possibly Rak-Sakyi. If he doesn’t play for the 21s you can start to worry. 

Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:06am

Fair enough he hasn’t trained due to illness but the games are weeks away he has plenty of time to get ready.

We all know Kenny is slow to bring new faces in so the best he was going to get was a substitute appearance.

I know I would much rather see him coming off the bench in Greece to get a goal rather than his team mate Parrot.

I just can’t see why Kenny does this to himself you have to have space in your squads for form players.

A great point - Why doesn't he give the likes of Jack Taylor a go in the squad? 

Edited by Borussia - 02 Jun 2023 at 11:07am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:11am
Gibbs-White, Archer etc are overage after the Euros later this month. Cannon's paperwork wouldn't be through in time for that tournament anyway so he's not competing with them. From September on it's players born after 1/1/02 only and he'll walk into the England under 21 team at that point if he wants to.

As has already been said by quite a few, either Kenny has made an absolute mess of this or Cannon is stalling for time and Kenny is accommodating him, which might not be the wisest move either as he stands to be left looking like a fool if Cannon switches.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:11am

Fair enough he hasn’t trained due to illness but the games are weeks away he has plenty of time to get ready.

So you know with 100% certainty that Cannon hasnt privately said he doesnt want to tie himself down just yet, which a sub app vs Gibralter would do for 3 years? 

It's just Kenny's fault so it is and that's that!
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Especially as it has only just come to light that he is eligible and he hasn't been there to be called up for the last three years?! 

I'm sure Cannon will get a cap if he hangs around until he's 25 like Taylor has had to.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:16am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Gibbs-White, Archer etc are overage after the Euros later this month. Cannon's paperwork wouldn't be through in time for that tournament anyway so he's not competing with them. From September on it's players born after 1/1/02 only and he'll walk into the England under 21 team at that point if he wants to.

As has already been said by quite a few, either Kenny has made an absolute mess of this or Cannon is stalling for time and Kenny is accommodating him, which might not be the wisest move either as he stands to be left looking like a fool if Cannon switches.

If the player has said that he doesnt want to commit to the seniors just yet, then Kenny is 100% correct in my view to keep that private for now. This endless quest to disparage Kenny is just boring. There are plenty of things he has got wrong and that he can reasonably be criticised for, but this is just lads making assumptions and piling on. Cannon wouldnt have got on the pitch vs Greece and we dont need him to beat Gibralter. Relax ffs, as I said earlier he's played less than 20 senior games and has only just started his U21 career with us.
Idah Dream!
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:19am

Especially as it has only just come to light that he is eligible and he hasn't been there to be called up for the last three years?! 

I'm sure Cannon will get a cap if he hangs around until he's 25 like Taylor has had to.
Has Taylor really been worth a cap though? Shown himself to be very capable in League One but he's competing with fairly well established Championship players. I suppose there'd have been no harm giving him a go against Malta or Latvia but that's about it
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:19am

Taylor has been on the fringes previously, called up to extended squads/training camps. He has not done enough in his senior career to date to warrant a place in the squad having had a pretty average season in his first tilt at the Championship for a Peterborough side that were relegated. I like Taylor and I am glad he has now got his chance, but to suggest he was a horrendous omission from previous squads is nonsense and another attempt to denigrate Kenny on spurious grounds.
Idah Dream!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:22am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Has Taylor really been worth a cap though? Shown himself to be very capable in League One but he's competing with fairly well established Championship players. I suppose there'd have been no harm giving him a go against Malta or Latvia but that's about it

The point being in the last 3 squads I think there have actually been uncapped players. So this stuff about Kenny being slow to bring players in doesn't stand up to scrutiny. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:25am

The point being in the last 3 squads I think there have actually been uncapped players. So this stuff about Kenny being slow to bring players in doesn't stand up to scrutiny. 

It really doesnt stand up to any scrutiny at all, he's probably brought in as many/more players than most previous managers. I'm not even sure that's necessarily a good thing.
Idah Dream!
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:27am

I'd agree with that. I think it's easy for us to sit on a forum and advocate for the inclusion of every single in-form uncapped player, but the reality is that it would lead to catastrophic levels of churn in the squad. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:28am

I don't think using a player who has been on the fringes of the squad for the last two years without being capped is a particularly great example.

Kenny was very quick to call up his own favourites from the Under 21s when he got the job, as well as a few more obvious standouts like Bazunu, Omobamidele and most recently Ferguson. He has been slow on the English born dual nationals though, Smallbone should have been in sooner than he was, and Cannon should be in now if available. It continues to baffle me that McNamara has never made a squad despite the age profile of our right backs and our tendancy to drop midfielders into that position. I suspect if Lee O'Connor had shown a fraction of the ability in senior football that McNamara has shown, he'd have been straight in.

Edited by You Tell Me - 02 Jun 2023 at 11:34am
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:37am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

So you know with 100% certainty that Cannon hasnt privately said he doesnt want to tie himself down just yet, which a sub app vs Gibralter would do for 3 years? 

I can only go on what is selected and Cannon hasn’t been selected and the reason given is illness which is thrash especially when he can go with the 21s.

No one can’t tell me he wouldn’t be the better option on form to bring off the bench over the others selected.

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:42am

How long did it take for Taylor to get a call up?

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:44am

How long did it take obafemi to get a game?

And how long did it take to get rid of Daryl Horgan?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:45am

Probably until he demonstrated he was worthy of a call up and then came to a training camp and demonstrated he had something to offer in terms of what Kenny would be looking for him to do. 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:51am

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I can only go on what is selected and Cannon hasn’t been selected and the reason given is illness which is thrash especially when he can go with the 21s.

No one can’t tell me he wouldn’t be the better option on form to bring off the bench over the others selected.

Ffs he's managing the International team, does anyone on here really expect him to go into a press conference and divulge personal conversations between himself and the players?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 12:03pm

Probably until he demonstrated he was worthy of a call up and then came to a training camp and demonstrated he had something to offer in terms of what Kenny would be looking for him to do. 

So if he wasn't at the training camp - and bear in mind he wasn't supposed to be at the training camp - he wouldn't be in. This training camp thing is bollocks, these players are playing 20, 30 games a season, more in some cases, it shouldn't matter a damn whether Kenny and his coaches see them in a 4 day get together in Bristol or not. 

Kenny and Andrews are at the same sh*te that every Irish manager before them was at as well, coming up with excuses not to pick players instead of reasons to bring them in. Wales and the north aren't messing around with training camps, they're getting the better dual nationals straight in and they're capping them. Even England are better at it than us, we're messing about yet again and will probably pay the price for it like we did previously.

Edited by You Tell Me - 02 Jun 2023 at 12:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 24>
  Share Topic