Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 9:34am
Yes. That was always going to be the case.

It's delusional to think we are going to qualify from this group. 

A draw away from home against Greece is a good result no matter way you look at it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 9:40am
I think every result has to be taken in the context of the group we are in, not groups we were in during previous campaigns. Especially as it is the manager's second full crack at a qualification campaign and the odds of the playoffs are against us. For Kenny it's likely going to be this or nothing, unless he gets very lucky with the playoffs. So, in the context of where we find ourselves, a draw is as bad as a loss.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 9:48am
Greece aren't sh*te. They have the makings of a solid starting XI.

Vlachodimos - Benfica's #1 GK. Lots of Champions League experience.

Mavropanos - One of the best defenders in The Bundesliga. Former Arsenal player.

Tsimikas - Plays for Liverpool. Quality backup LB. A key man for Greece.

Baldock - Juts won promotion with Sheffield United. Decent PL player.

Mantolas - A very experienced CM with title winning experience.

Bakasetas - Their star man. 11 goals from 55 caps. A technical AM.

Giakoumakis - Did well at Celtic. 8 goals from 11 games since switching to Atlanta United.

Pavlidis - 15 goals from 23 Europa League and Conference League games. Prolific at club level.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 10:33am
It's laughable to think we can just stroll up and beat Greece away from home, in the searing heat with 11 players who are not match fit.

It's not impossible but it's just unrealistic.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 10:34am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think every result has to be taken in the context of the group we are in, not groups we were in during previous campaigns. Especially as it is the manager's second full crack at a qualification campaign and the odds of the playoffs are against us. For Kenny it's likely going to be this or nothing, unless he gets very lucky with the playoffs. So, in the context of where we find ourselves, a draw is as bad as a loss.

Depends on how you look at it. A draw for us means 1 point after 2 games and an uphill battle to qualify, which is tough for us as we wanna qualify.

But looking in from the outside, a 1 nil loss vs. France where we gave them a good game and nearly equalised and then going to Greece away and getting a draw, you would look at that and say Ireland are doing alright. 

Bookies have Greece as favourites. We can demand results that we want and curse the manager if we don't get it, but this particular one we are not expected to win so a draw is acceptable and anything more a bonus
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 10:43am
Given we still have to be thinking about qualifying until we mathematically can't then anything less than a win really is no good to us  - I think Greece will rightly be the favourites but this is where we find ourselves and I'll be disappointed if we don't win, though not surprised.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:13am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Depends on how you look at it. A draw for us means 1 point after 2 games and an uphill battle to qualify, which is tough for us as we wanna qualify.

But looking in from the outside, a 1 nil loss vs. France where we gave them a good game and nearly equalised and then going to Greece away and getting a draw, you would look at that and say Ireland are doing alright. 

Bookies have Greece as favourites. We can demand results that we want and curse the manager if we don't get it, but this particular one we are not expected to win so a draw is acceptable and anything more a bonus
To give ourselves the best chance of finishing ahead of Greece, we have to get a least a draw and a win from the two games against them, otherwise we're depending on bettering their results against France and the Dutch.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
howieb View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:16am
We really have to win this game to have any chance of qualifying.  It would be different if we were competing with Greece for second spot. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:16am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

To give ourselves the best chance of finishing ahead of Greece, we have to get a least a draw and a win from the two games against them, otherwise we're depending on bettering their results against France and the Dutch.

But finishing ahead of Greece is useless at the same time, unless we finish ahead of one of the other two also.

Edited by You Tell Me - 31 May 2023 at 11:16am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:27am

Worth remembering that, if we don't win this game, our chances of qualification from this group are effectively zero. They're low anyway, but if we don't take the full 6 off Greece on top of having already lost a home game, we can basically forget it. 

So the difference between this game and most of our away games against mid rank teams is that we usually play with a view that a point would be OK in terms of the group. Whereas, similar to Wales in 2017, here we have to go for the win, as do Greece. So it should be a good game if nothing else.

Thats nonsense, we have to play the Dutch twice and if we are going to qualify 2nd we are going to have to beat them in one of the 2 games even if we get 6pts off Greece. A draw away to Greece would be a decent result and set us up nicely to have a tilt at the Dutch. Obviously a win would be great but a draw is far from the end of our campaign. We need to avoid defeat.
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:35am
If we don't beat Greece we're likely going to need to win both games against the Dutch. I think there's a way that we could technically do it with four points off the Greeks and the Dutch, but we need other results to go our way - but Netherlands could easily beat an already all but qualified France at home in October for instance and that would be it for us then if we haven't won in Greece.

We can presumably put the Gibraltar games to one side as irrelevant - everyone else will surely take six off them. That leaves us with six games - Greece x2, Netherlands x2 and France x2 - if we've only taken one point from two of those games after this window and still have to play France and Netherlands away, I think we can safely say it's over.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:40am
2-0 win for the Eire.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Nah, Greece are bang-average.  Most of their players come from the sub-standard Greek league and the rest from the lower reaches of other leagues. 

Their last four results include draws with Malta and Lithuania and a loss to Hungary. 

Their last home loss was a year and a half ago - yes, to Spain - but the next best team they played at home since then was Kosovo or Baraclough's NI of cap-tied teenagers. 

We're no great shakes, but play like we did against France and we should be in a shout of a win.

Ah, maybe I'm being too optimistic that we turned a corner with that confidant display.  It's the hope that kills you.

Problem for this tie is: with the absence of competitive football, crazy heat and not the same sense of occasion in this game compared to a match against the WC finalists, I can see us labouring.  

Sorry my friend, but that is absolute horsesh*t. The hereunder are Greece's results in home competitive internationals since Oct 2019. They are clearly a very difficult team to beat and concede very few goals 7 in 12 games. Only Spain have beaten them and they have beaten teams who are at least on a par with ourselves - Bosnia, Finland, Sweden.

Their players are arguably at better clubs than ours, certainly have more European club football experience and have more international experience. Comparing the last 2 international starting XI's they had an average age of 28 and average caps of 28 compared to an average age of 25 and caps 24 for ourselves. 8 of their starting XI had 20 caps or more, compared to just 4 of ours. They are an experienced outfit, dogged, difficult to beat and will be a very tough opponent in the heat. Any kind of result would be a good nights work.

15/10/2019 UEC Greece Bosnia-Herz 2-1
18/11/2019 UEC Greece Finland 2-1
11/10/2020 UNL Greece Moldova 2-0
14/10/2020 UNL Greece Kosovo 0-0
18/11/2020 UNL Greece Slovenia 0-0
31/03/2021 UWC Greece Georgia 1-1
08/09/2021 UWC Greece Sweden 2-1
11/11/2021 UWC Greece Spain 0 - 1
14/11/2021 UWC Greece Kosovo 1-1
09/06/2022 UNL Greece Cyprus 3 - 0
12/06/2022 UNL Greece Kosovo 2 - 0
27/09/2022 UNL Greece N Ireland 3-1
Idah Dream!
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 12:00pm
Yeah, I think a draw in Athens would be a decent result. No guarantee that the Dutch are going to win home and away against Greece either. 

Draws away and wins at home against Greece and the Dutch would be enough I think to get us second, assuming France trolley everyone. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 12:11pm
France are going to have qualification already wrapped up before they go to Netherlands or Greece, which are both late in the group. I doubt they'll be anywhere near full pelt in those two games - why would they bother when they'll have already qualified?
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 12:22pm

France are going to have qualification already wrapped up before they go to Netherlands or Greece, which are both late in the group. I doubt they'll be anywhere near full pelt in those two games - why would they bother when they'll have already qualified?

I think if we draw against Greece we will need to pull a draw out of the blue against France away to just give ourselves a proper chance. 

That’s how important the win against Greece is to my eyes. Beat Greece and we have a right chance of qualifying and pile the pressure on Holland and Greece when they play each other in the subsequent round of fixtures.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I think if we draw against Greece we will need to pull a draw out of the blue against France away to just give ourselves a proper chance. 

That’s how important the win against Greece is to my eyes. Beat Greece and we have a right chance of qualifying and pile the pressure on Holland and Greece when they play each other in the subsequent round of fixtures.

There's hope, there's expectation, but there's also realism. A draw here would be a great result as it will be for the Dutch. I hope for a win obviously, but any rational analysis as evidenced by the bookies odds suggest that a win is unlikely. I would take a draw now and move on.
Idah Dream!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

There's hope, there's expectation, but there's also realism. A draw here would be a great result as it will be for the Dutch. I hope for a win obviously, but any rational analysis as evidenced by the bookies odds suggest that a win is unlikely. I would take a draw now and move on.
As would getting any sort of point in Paris or Amsterdam. The odds need to be upset at some stage if we are to stand any chance and this is the best opportunity for that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>
  Share Topic