You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 12:41pm
I just post my opinions. I'm not saying you have to agree with them. As you say results will determine Kenny's fate in the end more than everything else, but obviously everything else contributes to the results to some extent, and the results have obviously been bad for the most part, so it's all interlinked to some extent.
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I just post my opinions. I'm not saying you have to agree with them. As you say results will determine Kenny's fate in the end more than everything else, but obviously everything else contributes to the results to some extent, and the results have obviously been bad for the most part, so it's all interlinked to some extent.

Aye that's correct and fair enough Thumbs Up

All opinions are debatable though, especially on a football forum.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 12:49pm
I watched Jack Byrne live Monday evening against Sligo Rovers. Absolutely ran the show. Everything went through him. His ball for Gaffneys 2nd goal over the top was a thing of beauty. Even some of the home fans begrudginly clapped him as he went off. Quality player, dont care what anyone says above this level or that level. Should be in the squad. We have nodody who can pass a ball like he can Nobody.
I love beer gardens
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 2:12pm
                 Bazunu
         Collins Egan O’Shea
Doherty.                  McClean 
          Molumby Cullen 
                Knight 
          Ferguson Parrott 

Is how I think he will line up against Greece. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 2:24pm
Bazunu
         Collins Egan O’Shea
Doherty.                 O'Dowda
          Molumby Cullen 
                Knight 
          Ferguson Obafemi / Johnson

Think it will be that. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 12 Jun 2023 at 2:24pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Bazunu
         Collins Egan O’Shea
Doherty.                  McClean 
          Molumby Cullen 
                Knight 
          Ferguson Parrott 

Is how I think he will line up against Greece. 

I dont think there's a snowballs chance that Parrott starts personally, but maybe. Unsure on O'Shea also given his long lay off, so I've put Lenihan in. Agree with you on McClean, still think he is the better defensive option over O'Dowda (who I think will start vs Gibralter). Aim of the game is surely to keep things tight and see where we are at with half an hour to go.

I'll go with the following to start and depending on how the game is panning out, I'd expect to see Johnston and/or Obafemi on for Smallbone/Knight and Idah on for Ferguson at some point in the second half.

Bazunu
         Collins  Lenihan  Egan
Doherty.                   McClean 
           Molumby  Cullen 
           Knight  Smallbone
           Ferguson 

Edited by John Nice - 12 Jun 2023 at 2:29pm
Idah Dream!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 2:33pm
Where's the pace in that team John? I think he will try and replicate as much as possible the team against France then we need someone with a bit more pace vs. having both Smallbone and Knight in the team. Should be one or the other. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 12 Jun 2023 at 2:34pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Where's the pace in that team John? I think he will try and replicate as much as possible the team against France then we need someone with a bit more pace vs. having both Smallbone and Knight in the team. Should be one or the other. 

Maybe so, I do agree that he will try and replicate the box midfield we played vs France and you may have a point regarding pace, in which case I think Johnston might start ahead of one of the two, likely Smallbone (who isnt overly slow btw). Knight has a bit of pace about him also. I just think Ogbene is perhaps a little more experienced, versatile and defensively capable than Johnston and we will likely look to keep things tight early doors. For sure Ogbene would have started had he been fit.

Edited by John Nice - 12 Jun 2023 at 2:47pm
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 2:48pm
Only open questions really are:

1) Who plays in the two wing-back roles?  Doherty a lock but on what side and so who's on the other side?
2) Who partners Ferguson?
3) Smallbone or Knight?

Am I missing anything?
Maybe a slight question over O'Shea but Lenihan is a solid replacement so no real concerns there.

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 2:49pm
Parrot had to sit out training matches due to a calf issue and Idah also due to illness. Idah is expected to be recovered in time for Friday but can't see any of them starting. Wouldn't want to see them starting anyway to be honest.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 2:56pm
Can see Johnston starting alright, hes always complained about the lack of a player of his ilk to take on and beat a man or two to create more chances against teams equal or lesser than us. Without him or Obafemi in the forward line theres a lack of pace and urgency anyway, really missing Ogbene for this one. A shift like his last one vs France would have been ideal.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Only open questions really are:

1) Who plays in the two wing-back roles?  Doherty a lock but on what side and so who's on the other side?
2) Who partners Ferguson?
3) Smallbone or Knight?

Am I missing anything?
Maybe a slight question over O'Shea but Lenihan is a solid replacement so no real concerns there.

Agree with that pretty much, my views on those questions are:

1) Mc Clean at LWB, options are Browne or Sykes at RWB and shift Doherty over OR O'Dowda at LWB. I think Mc Cleans experience will get him the nod, arguably better defensively than O'Dowda also.

2) Nobody, think we go with the box midfield again. Dont see us going with 2 up top.

3) Knight is the man in possession, so keeps his place, Smallbone might start also as the other advanced midfielder.

Agree re O'Shea, only the staff will have an idea where he stands in terms of fitness, wouldnt be surprised to see Lenihan start and Egan move to the LHS of the three.
Idah Dream!
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 3:20pm
I'm hoping he doesn't mirror the approach vs France. Drawing isn't of much use, so would like to see us try and get on the front foot where possible.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

I'm hoping he doesn't mirror the approach vs France. Drawing isn't of much use, so would like to see us try and get on the front foot where possible.

Look, I think we will try and win the game, but we need to do so from a solid base- I just dont see us going gung ho from the off. This is an away game against a very capable opponent with an excellent home record in pretty hot conditions. Possession will be important and I would hope that we will have substantially more than we did vs France.

I'd expect us to keep things tight in the first half and try to grow in to the game. Thats why I dont think we will go with 2 up top (we may well end the game that way) and why I think Johnston is more likely to start on the bench and come on to affect the game in the 2nd half against a tiring defence.
Idah Dream!
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 3:33pm
Johnson would be a good option to use from the bench. He showed that in the 2 matches in March.
But to use him from around the 60th minute rather then just the last 5 minutes trying to make an impact.
Kind of like the way McClean was used for a few years ago.
The dark side.. And the light
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 4:13pm
Definitely would have McClean in the starting line up. We really missed leadership on the field vs Latvia and Armenia when the sh*t hit the fan. Colemans leadership loss is huge. 

It's still a very young team but we need them to start shining now and Friday night feels like another chance at a fresh start for us. Would be happy with ferguson up top on his own, smallbone in behind, knight cullen and molumby in midfield. Try to dominate possession and if needed in the second half there's plenty of options from the bench to change it up and have a go - we have to win this one to have any hope in the group but I'm optimistic. 
Here we go again
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 10:10am
Could be this based on media out in turkey:

Bazunu
Browne--Collins--Egan--O'Shea--Doherty
Molumby--Cullen--Knight
Ferguson--Johnston

So Browne getting the nod and no O'Dowda, McClean, Smallbone, Obefemi to start. 

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 10:12am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Could be this based on media out in turkey:

Bazunu
Browne--Collins--Egan--O'Shea--Doherty
Molumby--Cullen--Knight
Ferguson--Johnston

So Browne getting the nod and no O'Dowda, McClean, Smallbone, Obefemi to start. 

No way will he go with that.  No way Pedro!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 24>
  Share Topic