You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 24>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

France are going to have qualification already wrapped up before they go to Netherlands or Greece, which are both late in the group. I doubt they'll be anywhere near full pelt in those two games - why would they bother when they'll have already qualified?

I think if we draw against Greece we will need to pull a draw out of the blue against France away to just give ourselves a proper chance. 

That’s how important the win against Greece is to my eyes. Beat Greece and we have a right chance of qualifying and pile the pressure on Holland and Greece when they play each other in the subsequent round of fixtures.

There's hope, there's expectation, but there's also realism. A draw here would be a great result as it will be for the Dutch. I hope for a win obviously, but any rational analysis as evidenced by the bookies odds suggest that a win is unlikely. I would take a draw now and move on.
As would getting any sort of point in Paris or Amsterdam. The odds need to be upset at some stage if we are to stand any chance and this is the best opportunity for that. 

100% and it’s also what a win in Greece would do in terms of piling the pressure on Greece and Holland. Holland play Greece and ourselves in Dublin for their next 2 group games. 

Beat Greece and beat Gibraltar (surely) they will go into that Dublin game feeling the heat regardless what they do against Greece. 
Sponsored Links

Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 2:32pm
Those are fantastic results for Greece in the last two years that Mr Nice posted.
If we had results like that we'd all be hoopin' an hollerin'.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 2:44pm
Gonna be extremely difficult to beat the Dutch at home three days after we play France away.

Not getting the draw at home to France has already damaged our chances as it's more likely the Dutch will will get at least a draw at home to France therefore getting more 'bonus' points against the top side in the group. 

The Dutch will also probably do as well as us in the two games against Greece so we'll have to take at least 4 points off them to make up for their points tallies against France and Greece, if we have any designs on second spot. 

Their hammering in the first game gives us some hope of getting a decent result against them and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Greeks could sneak a draw away to them the same night we play France. 

A draw in Athens goes a long for us to secure 3rd spot in the group which may be enough to save Kenny's job even if we miss out on a playoff but a win would give us a great boost and certainly keep our second place prospects alive until September's games. 

I hope we have strong refs in both games away to the Dutch and Greeks as we'll need a lot to go for us. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 5:27pm
This is the Greek team that took to the field vs Gibralter in their opener. I'll leave ye all to argue about whether or not Trabzonspor, AZ and Olympiakos are better teams than Rotherham, West Brom and Cardiff, but please for the love of God, stop posting that we should be beating these lot easily. Very solid outfit with plenty of experience (youngest starter last time was 25) who concede few (7 in their last 12 home competitive games) and get beaten very rarely at home (only Spain have managed to do so in their last 12 home competitive fixtures, 1-0). Throw in the heat etc and it will take a top performance for us to get anything from the game. The Dutch wont find it easy over there either.

GIB VS GRE
NAME CLUB AGE CAPS GLS
VLACHIDIMOS BENFICA 28 31 0
BALDOCK SHEFF UTD 30 7 0
TSIMIKAS LIVERPOOL 26 26 0
MAVROPANOS VFB STUTTGART 25 17 0
HATZIDIAKOS AZ ALKMAAR 26 25 0
MANTALOS AEK ATHENS 31 52 6
SIOPIS TRABZONSPOR 28 23 1
BAKASETAS TRABZONSPOR 29 55 11
PELKAS HULL CITY 29 30 2
MASOURAS OLYMPIAKOS 29 31 5
GIAKOUMAKIS ATLANTA UTD 28 13 2
Bench
PAVLIDIS AZ ALKMAAR 24 29 6
KONSTANTELIAS PAOK 20 2 0
FORTOUNIS OLYMPIAKOS 30 56 9
CHATZIGIOVANIS ANKARAGUCU 25 11 0
GIANNOULIS NORWICH 27 23 0

Edited by John Nice - 31 May 2023 at 5:29pm
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 5:41pm

This is the Greek team that took to the field vs Gibralter in their opener. I'll leave ye all to argue about whether or not Trabzonspor, AZ and Olympiakos are better teams than Rotherham, West Brom and Cardiff, but please for the love of God, stop posting that we should be beating these lot easily. Very solid outfit with plenty of experience (youngest starter last time was 25) who concede few (7 in their last 12 home competitive games) and get beaten very rarely at home (only Spain have managed to do so in their last 12 home competitive fixtures, 1-0). Throw in the heat etc and it will take a top performance for us to get anything from the game. The Dutch wont find it easy over there either.

GIB VS GRE
NAME CLUB AGE CAPS GLS
BALDOCK SHEFF UTD 30 7 0
PELKAS HULL CITY 29 30 2
Bench

I speak for the majority when I say we don’t expect us to beat them easy. Under no illusions how tough a game it will be. 

No bad side with players playing at a decent level in general. Proper could go either way game and I’m just hoping away from home where our form has been okay in the main even against sides superior to Greece we might just sneak it especially considering we have attacking players that can now put the ball in the net if they get a few chances. 

Edited by kevin100 - 31 May 2023 at 5:42pm
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 5:41pm

GIB VS GRE

NAME CLUB AGE CAPS GLS
BALDOCK SHEFF UTD 30 7 0
PELKAS HULL CITY 29 30 2
Bench

Dutch aren't playing there until October, when the heat will not be a factor
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 5:42pm
Since losing 2-0 away to Italy on the 12th October 2019, Greece have only lost 3 competitive fixtures, 1-0 at home to Spain, 2-0 away to Sweden and 1-0 away to Cyprus in a game that was effectively a dead rubber. They have won 14 games and drawn 7 in the same period including victories over Sweden, Bosnia, Finland, Kosovo three times, N. Ireland twice and Cyprus.

Since Poyet took over as manager at the start of 2022, they have played 7 competitive fixtures, winning six and losing one (the dead rubber vs Cyprus) scoring 13 and conceding just 2. 

Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

GIB VS GRE
NAME CLUB AGE CAPS GLS
BALDOCK SHEFF UTD 30 7 0
PELKAS HULL CITY 29 30 2
Bench

I speak for the majority when I say we don’t expect us to beat them easy. Under no illusions how tough a game it will be. 

No bad side with players playing at a decent level in general. Proper could go either way game and I’m just hoping away from home where our form has been okay in the main even against sides superior to Greece we might just sneak it especially considering we have attacking players that can now put the ball in the net if they get a few chances. 

Our starting XI vs France had scored a grand total of 12 goals in 259 caps, 4 of which were accounted for by Ogbene, 3 by Egan. They were the only 2 starters who have managed to score more than one international goal. We all hope Ferguson is the answer and he certainly looks the part, but it's a bit early to decide we have turned a corner in this regard off the back of a blank at home to France.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

GIB VS GRE

NAME CLUB AGE CAPS GLS
BALDOCK SHEFF UTD 30 7 0
PELKAS HULL CITY 29 30 2
Bench

I'm no meteorologist, but seriously who knows with global warning, there were highs of 25, lows of 16 last October which was as hot as May 2022. It likely wont be as warm as it will be in June, but it might not be far off, we shall see.
Idah Dream!
craiglen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craiglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 6:04pm
1-1.
Fan's game record: 5 Caps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 140 km covered
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by craiglen craiglen wrote:

1-1.

I'd take that. It will likely be a low scoring affair, hopefully we can sneak a victory, but I'd be happy enough with a draw assuming we follow it up by beating Gibralter.
Idah Dream!
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 10:14pm

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

GIB VS GRE

NAME CLUB AGE CAPS GLS
BALDOCK SHEFF UTD 30 7 0
PELKAS HULL CITY 29 30 2
Bench

I'm no meteorologist, but seriously who knows with global warning, there were highs of 25, lows of 16 last October which was as hot as May 2022. It likely wont be as warm as it will be in June, but it might not be far off, we shall see.

All of those clubs would be Championship level, if even that, except Benfica and Liverpool, and the Liverpool lad doesn't get his game. 

So, Greece aren't great.  Either are we obviously, and it will be a difficult game for the reasons mentioned. 

If our lads were able to hit the performance heights of the France game, I'd be delighted and expect a positive result.  

I don't see us hitting that level though unfortunately, for the reasons discussed. 

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 10:42pm
So is the squad being named tomorrow since they meet up this Monday.
PMc10 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMc10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 10:45pm
Yeah it's ment to be alrite
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Yup should be around mid day 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Press conference is scheduled for 1:45pm
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Yeah, tv interviews at 1. 
Squad is usually released an hour before the media stuff starts 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 11:53pm

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Yeah, tv interviews at 1. 
Squad is usually released an hour before the media stuff starts 

Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 24>
  Share Topic