You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 24>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

I would have called up Andy Lyons and Finn Azaz if they are fit.

Warren O'Hora might have been worth a look at as well.

Has just been relegated to League Two. You've other lads like Dunne and McGuinness who'd easily be ahead of him.

Even in League One could even name Paudie O'Connor ahead of him whose a year older and had a decent first season at League One level. Sean Roughan another whose played LCB for Lincoln and long term that's probably his best position. Could be on the move to the championship this summer.

O'Hora was out injured for a few weeks, which didn't help MK Dons.

From 3rd last season and on the verge of The Championship... to League Two. Quite the fall.

It's a real shame, as there are multiple Irish players there. Hopefully the likes of Devoy, Burns and Grant can be mainstays in a promotion push next season.

Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 12:43pm

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

I would have called up Andy Lyons and Finn Azaz if they are fit.

Warren O'Hora might have been worth a look at as well.

Has just been relegated to League Two. You've other lads like Dunne and McGuinness who'd easily be ahead of him.

Even in League One could even name Paudie O'Connor ahead of him whose a year older and had a decent first season at League One level. Sean Roughan another whose played LCB for Lincoln and long term that's probably his best position. Could be on the move to the championship this summer.

O'Hora was out injured for a few weeks, which didn't help MK Dons.

From 3rd last season and on the verge of The Championship... to League Two. Quite the fall.

It's a real shame, as there are multiple Irish players there. Hopefully the likes of Devoy, Burns and Grant can be mainstays in a promotion push next season.

Debatable as 21 of their 45 points they picked up this season was when O'Hora was missing. So in the 18 games he missed they picked up three points less than they did in the 28 he started.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 1:55pm
No real issue with Farrugia, hes been playing fairly well. Good physical player. Have not had a chance to read too much into this squad. No Jack Byrne? Surprised by this.
I love beer gardens
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 2:15pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Managers 'snubbing' players has always happened. 

You could look back through every squad in the last 50 years and pick out a particular player whereby the supporters think player X should have been included instead of player Y.

Yeah. Doesn't make the manager right though.

Lampard didn't fancy Doucouré at Everton. Dyche brught him in from the cold and he's now given Everton a chance at staying up.

Eze wasn't Vieira's favourite player at Palace. Since Hodgson returned, Eze has made a show of Vieira with his performances.

Managers gravitate to certain players.

I would be more worried if managers called up players that they didn’t want and they fans wanted.  They hired for their opinion on players and judgment on players esp at international level
Where coaching is harder to do.  Mini melt downs over b squads have happened before because a player is left out.  We do not have any Dave O Leary or to a less exten Andy Reid scenarios with this manager.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 3:09pm
The disappointing story of this squad selection is a lack of a no. 10.

We are crying out for someone to offer something different - Azaz, Szmodics, Ronan (possibly not available) & Byrne can count themselves unlucky.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

We are crying out for someone to offer something different - Azaz, Szmodics, Ronan (possibly not available) & Byrne can count themselves unlucky.

Travolta and Newton John offer something a bit different
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 3:36pm

Is it possible that one of those players might be included in the full squad but not the training camp?
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

Is it possible that one of those players might be included in the full squad but not the training camp?

Highly doubtful I'd say. The only one who wouldn't have been able to meet next week would be Ronan and can't see Kenny calling him up.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 3:40pm

I hope so, Azaz is probably not fully fit and Byrne is still playing weekly. 

Always thought Kenny went with a no. 10 but we're yet to see it in 3 years of his reign.

Smallbone can hopefully fulfill that role but he's more of an 8. 
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 4:01pm

Of those, you'd imagine only Ronan, who almost certainly wouldnt have been released for this training camp is the only one. I know Azaz ended the season carrying a niggly injury so that hopefully explains his absence, otherwise it's a glaring omission. I suspect Jack Byrne's days in green are over barring a very successful move abroad. Looks like they just dont fancy Szmodics.
Idah Dream!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 4:03pm
Jack Byrne is in very good form now. I'm surprised he is not included given Farrugia was called up. 
I love beer gardens
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 4:05pm
Deffo would like to see Byrne included
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 4:11pm

Deffo would like to see Byrne included

It's not happening lads, Farrugia's inclusion coupled with Byrne's exclusion suggest that his days in a green shirt are over unless he makes a successful move abroad. It's no great surprise to anybody other than Rovers supporters, he's 27 now.
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 4:21pm
It's very likely and at 27 he's in his prime.

Byrne would have come into this camp with about 6 full games under his belt since Championship finished and most of the others would have not played in about 5 weeks.

Considering we need a bit of creativity in this part of the field, Byrne should have got included.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It's very likely and at 27 he's in his prime.

Byrne would have come into this camp with about 6 full games under his belt since Championship finished and most of the others would have not played in about 5 weeks.

Considering we need a bit of creativity in this part of the field, Byrne should have got included.

If match fitness is such a big issue, then why dont we field a team of LoI and MLS players. Far too much is being made of it tbh. Byrne is 27 now and has yet to show he has what it takes to play at international level, he's an excellent LoI player. Ronan is mid season in the MLS, is 2 or 3 years younger and is playing well, I'd prefer to see him called up.
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 5:21pm
It's one player within the squad and he has been included before and he has played before.

He can create and score goals - something that we need to do in the next 2 games.

Match fitness will definitely be an issue especially in the Athens heat.

It doesn't bother me once iota that he's not included. Just my 2 cents.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 5:28pm
Interesting squad and nobody worth getting outraged over their omission (although I'm sure some lads will find someone). I know Kenny has namechecked Farrugia before but I'm a bit surprised, as a Rovers fan I'd have gone with Lyons over him 100%. Also would have had Jack Byrne in before Farrugia albeit very different positions so Apples and oranges.

Farrugia is very athletic, quick and a good dribbler with big spaces but his end product is questionable. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Interesting squad and nobody worth getting outraged over their omission (although I'm sure some lads will find someone). I know Kenny has namechecked Farrugia before but I'm a bit surprised, as a Rovers fan I'd have gone with Lyons over him 100%. Also would have had Jack Byrne in before Farrugia albeit very different positions so Apples and oranges.

Farrugia is very athletic, quick and a good dribbler with big spaces but his end product is questionable. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Farrugia is being looked at as a winger in this training camp. Named towards the end of the squad amongst the other attacking players. Fair enough that can sometimes mean nothing but there's also three other LWBs named and Chiedozie would be ahead of him for RWB.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 24>
  Share Topic