You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Cannon should be in this squad, and Manning obviously. So I expect neither will be called up.

Cannon should be in the squad at whose expense? Also, are we sure that he is prepared to pledge allegiance to us at this point in his career, I havent heard anything definitive on this?

I think Manning will be called up only if O'Dowda is out. Mc Clean is nailed on for one of the LWB slots.

Parrott, Idah - take your pick. He outperformed both of them at Championship level this season. Id be more inclined to take Idah given he had a decent cameo against France. Parrott has 5 fewer goals than Cannon this season in the Championship having played 9 more times. And don't give me any rubbish about Parrott not being an out and out striker, because he has literally 0 assists, so isn't creating anything for anybody either.

As for Cannon's allegiance, I saw nothing at Turners Cross to doubt him. In fact, after that performance and his general demeanour, I was quite sure he is happy with us.
Sponsored Links

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 5:52pm
We had 6 strikers in the last camp:
Ferguson, Obafemi, Idah, Parrott, Ogbene & Keane.

Cannon can come in for Keane. If Ogbene isn't fit then Sykes would probably come in as a RW/RWB option.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

100% call Cannon up.
Especially if, as some have said, it will be a larger camp.
With no U21 matches, it's a no-brainer.
I'd be surprised if he made either matchday squad but that's fine - have him in for training and assessment.

At the back Lenihan should feel aggrieved if he's left out what with Duffy not playing at all, O'Shea not back from injury and Omobamidele hitting a bit of a flat-spot (still want him in the squad).
McNally will be very close and could make a bigger squad and it would be deserved.

It's been said multiple times that we need some sort of Cullen fallback so for that reason bring in Coventry again.  No need for him to make a matchday squad barring a Cullen injury but get him integrated into how we play.

Finally the age-old playmaker debate.
I'd have one of Ronan, Azaz, Szmodics or Byrne in and will trust Kenny to pick his best one.

It will be a larger camp for the English leg only (5 days) I'd imagine - he's unlikely to take more than 26 to Turkey. Lenihan should definitely be included in that 26 and should probably start if O'Shea is ruled out. McNally will be close but that will likely depend on O'Shea's fitness. 

I would have no issue with a call up for Coventry or Taylor in Browne's absence. Cannon's inclusion likely rests on the fitness and availability of Ogbene and Obafemi. Ebosele should get a call up in Coleman, Christie and Brownes' absence. Manning should too if O'Dowda misses out.

I would favour Azaz over Ronan/Szmodics if we include an extra creative midfielder. It's a big no to Jack Byrne from me - cant see SK calling him up either tbh. If match fitness is the sole reason for lads advocating for him, then I'd prefer the younger Connor Ronan who is mid season in the MLS. In any case I dont think any of them have a chance of starting vs Greece, but one could come in handy vs Gibralter.
Idah Dream!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 6:41pm
I'd like to see Cannon included, e.g. over Keane. 

Given that's its more than just 3 days ahead of a match but also a bit of a holiday with an extended training camp would be good to bring extra people in for that and then cut the squad back later if needs be. Perfect time to have a closer look at the likes of Cannon and maybe even Byrne or Farrugia
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 6:52pm

I would have no issue with a call up for Coventry or Taylor in Browne's absence. Cannon's inclusion likely rests on the fitness and availability of Ogbene and Obafemi. Ebosele should get a call up in Coleman, Christie and Brownes' absence. Manning should too if O'Dowda misses out.

You can take Christie off the list. He's in the same boat as Hourihane, sailing off to Never-Getting-Called-Up-Again-Land.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

You can take Christie off the list. He's in the same boat as Hourihane, sailing off to Never-Getting-Called-Up-Again-Land.

Christie is still a viable option imo although I think he is injured currently. When fit he was playing very well in the Championship for Hull and we dont have a lot of options in the RWB position in Coleman's absence. It's Doherty or the likes of Ebosele/Ogbene who are more offensive minded Browne (also injured)/Sykes who just arent really RWBs. He's still only 30.
Idah Dream!
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 7:04pm

We had 6 strikers in the last camp:
Ferguson, Obafemi, Idah, Parrott, Ogbene & Keane.

Cannon can come in for Keane. If Ogbene isn't fit then Sykes would probably come in as a RW/RWB option.

Sykes should come in for me. He's had a good season and can play a few positions. 

Cannon for Keane makes obvious sense. I think strikers is excessive when they can only cover two positions though unless we change formation.

Edited by SC92 - 15 May 2023 at 7:05pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 7:06pm

Christie is still a viable option imo although I think he is injured currently. When fit he was playing very well in the Championship for Hull and we dont have a lot of options in the RWB position in Coleman's absence. It's Doherty or the likes of Ebosele/Ogbene who are more offensive minded Browne (also injured)/Sykes who just arent really RWBs. He's still only 30.

Doherty the defensive option lol. There is a reason he plays his best football as a wing back and I say that as a fan!
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 8:33pm

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 15 May 2023 at 8:35pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Cannon's inclusion is a no-brainer. 

At present, probably our second-best striker based on form. 

Ebosele's involvement is an obvious one too. If you're starting for the 8th best team in Serie A, you're good enough for a squad place with us, especially as Coleman will likely be unavailable. 

Also, both lads are the right age-profile of players we want to be bringing in.

giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 8:50pm
Dan McDonnell reporting Sean McLoughlin from Hull likely to get a call up to the 4-day UK training camp next week for Championship/League one players.

Might get a couple of interesting new faces. 

Will be interesting to see if Manning/Hourihane/Cannon make this extended squad, for different reasons…
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 8:59pm

Nah, I think at this stage (30 caps, turns 31 in September) we can conclude he isn't good enough, isn't going to improve further & should be moved on.

He was dropped last summer in the middle of a 4 game window (where Doherty & Coleman were already out injured) and was soundly outperformed by Browne in the following 2 games.

I'd much rather invest in other lads (Ebosele, McNamara, Lyons) than go back to Christie.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Dan McDonnell reporting Sean McLoughlin from Hull likely to get a call up to the 4-day UK training camp next week for Championship/League one players.

Might get a couple of interesting new faces. 

Will be interesting to see if Manning/Hourihane/Cannon make this extended squad, for different reasons…

From reading Dan's piece it doesn't look like there'll be a squad named until after the 4 day UK camp.

Would seem that the camp is a chance to take a look at lads who's seasons have ended.

UK camp is next week and then the squad for the June games meets up 5th June & goes to Turkey.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:16am
The Championship/League 1 camp is a good idea, hopefully we see the likes of McGuinness, Azaz, Taylor and McNamara in there as well, ideal chance to compare them to our existing squad options. Cannon as well as he's not going to be involved at Everton again this season. In particular McGuinness has a much higher ceiling than Sean McLoughlin I would say.

Edited by You Tell Me - 16 May 2023 at 8:17am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 9:58am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The Championship/League 1 camp is a good idea, hopefully we see the likes of McGuinness, Azaz, Taylor and McNamara in there as well, ideal chance to compare them to our existing squad options. Cannon as well as he's not going to be involved at Everton again this season. In particular McGuinness has a much higher ceiling than Sean McLoughlin I would say.

McNally, Cashin, Dunne, Connolly (if fit), Connell, Szmodics, Lyons are others that might benefit
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 10:20am
Jack Taylor won't be involved as Peterborough will be in the final. Similar McNally if Coventry win but think Boro will edge it at home. It's 1-1 between Barnsley and Bolton with the Barnsley at home in the second leg.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 10:47am
I thought I read somewhere that Azaz was still having some issues with his ankle injury which was the reason he was not starting games towards the end of the season. So that might hinder any chances he has of being involved in June.

This mini camp in England is a great opportunity to look at players player regularly in the Championship or playing well in League One and increase the squad depth. With our luck with injuries we need that depth. There is opportunities there for these players to break into the squad with the current injuries and fitness issues on some of the squad regulars.

Personally I would like to see Szmodics, Cannon, Ebosele, McNally, Lenihan and Manning added in an extended final squad for June. Enough there to cover Coleman, O'Shea, Browne, O'Dowda, Brady, Ogbene, Robinson etc if they are injured/struggling with fitness.
Szmodics, Ebosele, Lenihan and Manning have involved in squads before but Cannon and McNally have not so I would not expect them to play this window if they got the call up. I don't think Kenny has played a new player to the squad in their first call up recently.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 10:51am
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Doherty the defensive option lol. There is a reason he plays his best football as a wing back and I say that as a fan!

Well tbf, the others are all converted wingers/midfielders, Doherty at least started life as a defender and has played there to good effect for Ireland too (seem to remember him playing as the left sided centre back in a game for us?).
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
  Share Topic