You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

He would be match fit too - when you look at the likes of Doherty who has not played much at all - Byrne should be included.

The heat and the lack of match fitness is going to be a factor in the game.

Are you going to play him at Right Wing Back horse? Cant have it, I'd prefer Azaz, Ronan or Szmodics, even Moran if we are looking to add another creative player to the squad. In any case, the lads have a training camp in England and then a further 1 week conditioning camp in Turkey before the Greece game.

No, I'd have him as a creative midfielder and I'd have him in ahead of the others solely based on the fact that he will be more match fit than the others.

Ronan is playing regularly in the MLS which is ongoing, the others only finished up a week ago as did a number of the Greece squad, we have a training camp in England and then a full 9 days in Turkey with a behind closed doors friendly lined up. Too much is being made of this imo.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Arguing for a players inclusion as he’s getting game time for Shamrock Rovers while one isn’t getting much game time at Atletico Madrid is quite something.

I don't see a situation whereby Doherty does not play. Do you?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:51pm

He would be match fit too - when you look at the likes of Doherty who has not played much at all - Byrne should be included.

Are you going to play him at Right Wing Back horse? Cant have it, I'd prefer Azaz, Ronan or Szmodics, even Moran if we are looking to add another creative player to the squad. In any case, the lads have a training camp in England and then a further 1 week conditioning camp in Turkey before the Greece game.

No, I'd have him as a creative midfielder and I'd have him in ahead of the others solely based on the fact that he will be more match fit than the others.

Ronan is playing regularly in the MLS which is ongoing, the others only finished up a week ago as did a number of the Greece squad, we have a training camp in England and then a full 9 days in Turkey with a behind closed doors friendly lined up. Too much is being made of this imo.

It's very likely none will be included to be fair.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:51pm
Cannon should be in this squad, and Manning obviously. So I expect neither will be called up.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

Jack Byrne would be a handy sub option if the game was deadlocked
The endless circle of Jack Byrne tearing up the LOI, getting a call-up and flopping in another league. He's at his level, let's just leave him there and proceed with lads who play serious football.

Agreed, from what I gather Jack is out of contract shortly? If he wants to have another crack at a level above LoI, then he should go for it, but as things stand at 27yo, I dont see a role for him in the Irish set up currently.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Cannon should be in this squad, and Manning obviously. So I expect neither will be called up.

Cannon should be in the squad at whose expense? Also, are we sure that he is prepared to pledge allegiance to us at this point in his career, I havent heard anything definitive on this?

I think Manning will be called up only if O'Dowda is out. Mc Clean is nailed on for one of the LWB slots.
Idah Dream!
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

Jack Byrne would be a handy sub option if the game was deadlocked
The endless circle of Jack Byrne tearing up the LOI, getting a call-up and flopping in another league. He's at his level, let's just leave him there and proceed with lads who play serious football.
Didnt look out of place whatsoever when he played for the eire
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:08pm

Just to add the Greek League finished up yesterday as far as I can make out. Half their squad plays there. They also have 3 lads finished up in the Chship and Tsimikas who is unlikely to kick a ball again for LFC this season. The other leagues they draw players from, mainly Turkish and Dutch finish up Sunday week, same as the PL.
Idah Dream!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:22pm

Cannon should be in the squad at whose expense? Also, are we sure that he is prepared to pledge allegiance to us at this point in his career, I havent heard anything definitive on this?

I think Manning will be called up only if O'Dowda is out. Mc Clean is nailed on for one of the LWB slots.

Obafemi, for a start. He's done more this season than Idah, Obafemi and Parrot combined. I dont buy the whole "they've played a part for us previously etc". If hes good enough and deserves a call up, which he should, he should be in the squad.

As far as allegiance, hes happy enough to take a U21 spot so give him a chance at the snr squad and if he turns it down or whatever, it's no skin off anyones back.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:26pm
[QUOTE=E2016]Cannon should be in this squad, and Manning obviously. So I expect neither will be called up.[/QUOTE
Kenny once said never trust a man with a double n in his surname.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:37pm

Adam Idah's.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

[QUOTE=E2016]Cannon should be in this squad, and Manning obviously. So I expect neither will be called up.[/QUOTE
Kenny once said never trust a man with a double n in his surname.

Even though he has the double n himself. Connor Ronan should amend his first name to Conor so.

He does seem to like his double l's though, Kelleher, Collins, Smallbone, Cullen!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Adam Idah's.

Dont see it, Idah was very effective when introduced vs France!
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:45pm
Ogbene missed the last couple of games for Rotherham with an apparent hamstring injury.
Robinson has been injured since February.
O'Dowda has been struggling with injuries since March, & missed the last few games.
Brady has barely played since November, having only started 6 games since then. Also missed the last few games with injury.
Obafemi has apparently been struggling for fitness too, and has barely played since November.

I don't see how O'Shea can be considered to start, he's been out since the France game. Even if he's technically recovered, he won't have played in nearly 3 months. We have Lenihan & McNally in the Championship Play-Offs, the final being on May 27th, so both will be match fit (& both should be ahead of Omobamidele, who has had a poor season).

Can't be loading the team up with players that either haven't played in months and/or are carrying knocks, especially when there's other options. That's something that bit us vs Armenia last summer, Coleman, Stevens & McClean were all carrying knocks (& are all old), & were nowhere near full fitness, that cost us in the heat.

Doherty will & should start both games, he's showed he can play well for us even when not playing at club level. But he won't last the full 90 in either game. That's about as far as I'd go playing unfit players.

There won't be loads of changes but with the extended camp I'd be looking to get Festy, Cannon, McNally & Coventry (if fit, if not then Hodge) involved.

28 man squad:
                                 Ferguson
                Parrott       Obafemi
                Idah           Cannon

Smallbone
     Johnston      McGrath           Ogbene
                         Byrne  
                                   Molumby
Manning     Cullen         Knight          Doherty
McClean    Coventry     Hendrick      Ebosele

Lenihan Egan Collins
                O'Shea  AO  McNally

Bazunu
                         Kelleher
                         Travers
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Obafemi, for a start. He's done more this season than Idah, Obafemi and Parrot combined. I dont buy the whole "they've played a part for us previously etc". If hes good enough and deserves a call up, which he should, he should be in the squad.

As far as allegiance, hes happy enough to take a U21 spot so give him a chance at the snr squad and if he turns it down or whatever, it's no skin off anyones back.

If we need to turn to the bench vs Greece, I'd much prefer to see Obafemi or Idah come on rather than an untested Cannon. If he is to be called up and I dont think he will, it will surely be at Parrott's expense.
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:59pm

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

If we need to turn to the bench vs Greece, I'd much prefer to see Obafemi or Idah come on rather than an untested Cannon. If he is to be called up and I dont think he will, it will surely be at Parrott's expense.

Cannon being called up doesn't have to be at anyone's expense, except maybe Keane's.

Robinson is out.
Obafemi has barely kicked a ball since November (only 2 starts since then), and won't be able to start either game.
Ogbene is a doubt.

Ferguson, Parrott, Cannon, Idah & Keane are the only close to fully fit strikers we have.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Ogbene missed the last couple of games for Rotherham with an apparent hamstring injury.
Robinson has been injured since February.
O'Dowda has been struggling with injuries since March, & missed the last few games.
Brady has barely played since November, having only started 6 games since then. Also missed the last few games with injury.
Obafemi has apparently been struggling for fitness too, and has barely played since November.

I don't see how O'Shea can be considered to start, he's been out since the France game. Even if he's technically recovered, he won't have played in nearly 3 months. We have Lenihan & McNally in the Championship Play-Offs, the final being on May 27th, so both will be match fit (& both should be ahead of Omobamidele, who has had a poor season).

Can't be loading the team up with players that either haven't played in months and/or are carrying knocks, especially when there's other options. That's something that bit us vs Armenia last summer, Coleman, Stevens & McClean were all carrying knocks (& are all old), & were nowhere near full fitness, that cost us in the heat.

Doherty will & should start both games, he's showed he can play well for us even when not playing at club level. But he won't last the full 90 in either game. That's about as far as I'd go playing unfit players.

There won't be loads of changes but with the extended camp I'd be looking to get Festy, Cannon, McNally & Coventry (if fit, if not then Hodge) involved.

28 man squad:
                                 Ferguson
                Parrott       Obafemi
                Idah           Cannon

Smallbone
     Johnston      McGrath           Ogbene
                         Byrne  
                                   Molumby
Manning     Cullen         Knight          Doherty
McClean    Coventry     Hendrick      Ebosele

Lenihan Egan Collins
                O'Shea  AO  McNally

Bazunu
                         Kelleher
                         Travers

Byrne wont be called up. Cannon and Manning will only be called up if injuries rule Ogbene and O'Dowda out. Coventry has a chance but I think he finished the season out with an injury, Hodge wont be called up, Taylor would be next in line imo but I dont think he will be needed. Think he'll name 26 rather than 28, that seems to be his preference. Probably unlikely to take 6 CBs, so Mc Nally may not make the cut. I'd have any of Azaz, Ronan or Szmodics ahead of Byrne.
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 5:06pm
100% call Cannon up.
Especially if, as some have said, it will be a larger camp.
With no U21 matches, it's a no-brainer.
I'd be surprised if he made either matchday squad but that's fine - have him in for training and assessment.

At the back Lenihan should feel aggrieved if he's left out what with Duffy not playing at all, O'Shea not back from injury and Omobamidele hitting a bit of a flat-spot (still want him in the squad).
McNally will be very close and could make a bigger squad and it would be deserved.

It's been said multiple times that we need some sort of Cullen fallback so for that reason bring in Coventry again.  No need for him to make a matchday squad barring a Cullen injury but get him integrated into how we play.

Finally the age-old playmaker debate.
I'd have one of Ronan, Azaz, Szmodics or Byrne in and will trust Kenny to pick his best one.

Edited by Fozz - 15 May 2023 at 5:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
  Share Topic