You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SQUAD Greece (A) - Gibralter (H) June 2023
    Posted: 15 May 2023 at 2:18pm
GK - Bazunu, Kelleher, Travers
Wing Backs - Doherty, Coleman???, Mc Clean, O'Dowda???
Centre Backs - Collins, Egan, O'Shea??? Omobamidele
Centre Mid - Cullen, Molumby, Knight, Hendrick, Browne???
Attacking Mid/Wingers - Smallbone, Johnston, McGrath
Forwards - Ferguson, Ogbene, Obafemi, Idah, Robinson???, Parrott

Fringes
GK - O'Leary
Wing Backs - Manning, Brady, Ebosele, Sykes, Christie???
Centre Backs - Lenihan, Duffy, McNally
Centre Mids - Coventry, Taylor, Hodge
Attacking Mids - Ronan, Azaz, Moran, Szmodics, Jack Byrne
Forwards - Cannon, Keane, Hogan, Connolly???

Not sure on the injury status of Coleman, O'Dowda, O'Shea, Browne, Robinson, Christie and Connolly. Their absence could see the likes of Ebosele, McNally, Taylor get call ups. I'll add in any others people think are realistic prospects. Those in bold are U21 eligible. Those in red are confirmed out with injury, so any updates are welcome.

Edited by John Nice - 15 May 2023 at 4:17pm
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 2:30pm
Colemans season is over, won't be fit until new season.

O'Shea was back on grass a few weeks ago so you'd think he'll be fine for June. Not sure on the others.

Don't think we'll see any changes from the last squad barring injury.

Would imagine anyone who's got a chance of being fit will link up with the squad anyway, Browne etc. As far as I know they're meeting in England for a few days before going to Turkey for warm weather training 

Edited by wanderer - 15 May 2023 at 2:33pm
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 2:49pm
Lenihan and Manning should be in the squad even though the latter more than likely won't for reasons only know to Stephen Kenny. Festy  is another one that may deserve a spot and be no harm to invite Andy Moran along to get a feel for the squad. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Lenihan and Manning should be in the squad even though the latter more than likely won't for reasons only know to Stephen Kenny. Festy  is another one that may deserve a spot and be no harm to invite Andy Moran along to get a feel for the squad. 

Is Moran going to be the latest nom du jour after Hodge and Cannon. He has barely kicked a ball at senior level, lovely prospect but time enough for him, these games arent friendlies.
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 2:54pm
We are facing the same issues as we did against Armenia last time out as the regular championship is now finished with players off on their holidays add it by the time the Greek game come around how many weeks will it have been since our players have played 90 minutes  You can add Bazunu, Kelleher, Traverse, Collins, Doherty and probably others to that list. 
Not ideal.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Is Moran going to be the latest nom du jour after Hodge and Cannon. He has barely kicked a ball at senior level, lovely prospect but time enough for him, these games arent friendlies.
I didn't suggest playing him but bring him along. One way or another he will be getting game time come september either at Brighton in the Conference league or out on loan in the championship.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:01pm

We are facing the same issues as we did against Armenia last time out as the regular championship is now finished with players off on their holidays add it by the time the Greek game come around how many weeks will it have been since our players have played 90 minutes  You can add Bazunu, Kelleher, Traverse, Collins, Doherty and probably others to that list. 
Not ideal.

Not ideal, but it's much the same for Greece, most European leagues are over/in their final throes at this stage.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:09pm

I didn't suggest playing him but bring him along. One way or another he will be getting game time come september either at Brighton in the Conference league or out on loan in the championship.

Cant agree with you on that Kevin. He may or may not be playing for Brighton come September, but lads should have to earn squad call ups imo and at this point in time Moran and Hodge havent done enough yet. Cannon and Ebosele are the only two U21s (asides from the already established squad members) who have shown enough this season at senior level to be considered.
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:12pm
Ferguson wasn't playing when he was called into the squad in Malta. It stood to him in the last international window while I agree with your sentiments about having to earn your place in the squad.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:13pm
Starting XI of: 

Bazunu
Doherty Egan Collins Lenihan Manning
      Cullen Molumby Smallbone
             Ferguson Obefami

Squad of: 

Kelleher, Travers, Ebosele, McClean, Knight, Johnston, Browne, Szmodics, Cannon, Parrott, Ogbene, Idah.
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:23pm
Jack Byrne would be a handy sub option if the game was deadlocked
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:25pm
He would be match fit too - when you look at the likes of Doherty who has not played much at all - Byrne should be included.

The heat and the lack of match fitness is going to be a factor in the game.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:25pm
From what I gather there is a two week training camp for June?
I mini training camp in England for 3-4 days then 9 day training camp in Turkey for climate/heat adjustment? And there will be an unofficial, behind closed doors friendly with another international team a week before the Greece match.
So I assume there will be an extended squad called for the mini training camp in England, with the players who are currently struggling with injury/fitness (O'Shea, Ogbene, Browne, O'Dowda, etc) will be assessed whether they will be fit enough or not ,with a reduced squad named for traveling to Turkey.
Good to see there were lessons learnt from last years with a longer training camp and climate adjustment. The players who have no injury issues should be better conditioned this time.
I think Coleman, Browne and Robinson are all defo out.

Edited by darman28 - 15 May 2023 at 8:17pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He would be match fit too - when you look at the likes of Doherty who has not played much at all - Byrne should be included.

Are you going to play him at Right Wing Back horse? Cant have it, I'd prefer Azaz, Ronan or Szmodics, even Moran if we are looking to add another creative player to the squad. In any case, the lads have a training camp in England and then a further 1 week conditioning camp in Turkey before the Greece game.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:34pm

Ferguson wasn't playing when he was called into the squad in Malta. It stood to him in the last international window while I agree with your sentiments about having to earn your place in the squad.

Evan was a different animal tbf, physically a beast, unlike Hodge or Moran and the world and his wife knew he was about to break through at that stage. 
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:38pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Are you going to play him at Right Wing Back horse? Cant have it, I'd prefer Azaz, Ronan or Szmodics, even Moran if we are looking to add another creative player to the squad. In any case, the lads have a training camp in England and then a further 1 week conditioning camp in Turkey before the Greece game.

No, I'd have him as a creative midfielder and I'd have him in ahead of the others solely based on the fact that he will be more match fit than the others.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:46pm
Arguing for a players inclusion as he’s getting game time for Shamrock Rovers while one isn’t getting much game time at Atletico Madrid is quite something.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

Jack Byrne would be a handy sub option if the game was deadlocked
The endless circle of Jack Byrne tearing up the LOI, getting a call-up and flopping in another league. He's at his level, let's just leave him there and proceed with lads who play serious football.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
  Share Topic