You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Banners at Away games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banners at Away games
    Posted: 10 May 2023 at 1:45pm
As MNT SLO

I'm trying to compile a list of flags/banners fans plan to bring to away games.  These will be submitted by the FAI to the home federation as approved banners.  Note the host association still has the right to refuse any such banner but having FAI approval and being submitted by the FAI will be a great help.

Please note this is totally voluntary and there is no obligation to do this.  However it should make life easier at away games.

This will be an ongoing list and all banners will be submitted for approval even if you only plan to attend certain games.

Please note any banner larger than 1.5 metres x 2 metres requires a fire safety certificate as per FIFA/UEFA regulations.  

This is more aimed at getting all slogans approved and letting the host association know there is no issue with the language.  This is particularly important with those written as gaeilge.  

What I need is

1)  A photo of the flag/banner
2)  The measurements 

I don't want to put email addresses on here so if you just drop me a PM or contact me on facebook/twitter WhatsApp if you know my number etc.  

There is no deadline for this but for Greece I'd need these asap.  
Sponsored Links

williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:56am
Away associations have never had an issue with banners.

It shouldn't be necessary to register flags or banners in advance of away games. The FAI should be advised that fans will not be co-operating with this ridiculous requirement. 
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 1:57pm
I hope the FAI are as proactive at getting Castore to get the jerseys ready for the fans as they are with banners!
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by williemc83 williemc83 wrote:

It shouldn't be necessary to register flags or banners in advance of away games. The FAI should be advised that fans will not be co-operating with this ridiculous requirement. 

It isn't and there is no need to do this.

It is totally voluntary.

I'm trying to avoid issues that occurred with two different flags at 2 different away games in recent times.  

I'm also aware of issues friends have had with banners of other nations at other games.  

Some security officers can have issues with stuff they don't understand.  Some stuff can be deemed offensive in certain languages or cultures.  

If there is an approved list of banners it will make life easier getting them into foreign stadiums.  

Also if something is deemed offensive in a foreign language by a host football federation I can let the owner of the banner know and they can choose whether to bring it to that country.   

I will be on the ground at away games to help if there are any issues.  I will have no authority and it will be up to the host federation.  However I will have dealt with the home security official and hopefully can quickly resolve any issues particularly if the banner is on the list sent by the FAI.  Even if it isn't I will still try to help.  

I don't want to get into specifics about individuals and private conversations.  However flags that have been in loads of places without any issues have suddenly been a problem at a certain game.  

In a non Irish context I watched a friend have a flag confiscated and his stress levels go through the roof.  

I hope this will help.  By all means feel free to ignore it.  
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 2:22pm

Just to be very clear.  This is not the FAI driving this.  

I'm not even trying to take credit for the idea as it morphed out of a few discussions involving fans some of whom are on here.  I honestly can't recall exactly whose idea it was but I think it is a good one and I'd like to drive it.  

Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 3:25pm

i concur, an idiotic idea

what's next? applications to sing, chant or clap  Ermm
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 3:42pm
In fairness, it's optional. If it was mandatory I'd worry. 
It appears he is trying to make things easier for some as it's difficult to predict what other FAs/security will decide to do at the gate.

(You could argue that it's a step closer to mandatory flag reviews and greater control over fans, but I'm sure the intention is well-meaning here.)
<insert witty comment>
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 3:53pm
Appreciate it might be coming from a good place, but it seems like a step too far, and implies pre approval is needed for banners.

Fans should be free to put what they want on banners, particularly given some of the shambolic antics in the FAI under Delaney. Irish fans where one of the few groups who consistently called him out when the media and Government were praising him while he bankrupted Irish football.

The only issue with flags I'm aware of in recent years was in Belgeade, and the issue wasn't flags or banners - it was an over zealous FAI official. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 3:53pm
#Belgrade
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 3:58pm
Welcome Joe McGlue to the forumHug
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 4:13pm

Appreciate it might be coming from a good place, but it seems like a step too far, and implies pre approval is needed for banners.

Fans should be free to put what they want on banners, particularly given some of the shambolic antics in the FAI under Delaney. Irish fans where one of the few groups who consistently called him out when the media and Government were praising him while he bankrupted Irish football.

The only issue with flags I'm aware of in recent years was in Belgeade, and the issue wasn't flags or banners - it was an over zealous FAI official. 

some irish fans called him out, most just took the soup Wink

cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

CRISC annual dinner - 3 courses - chowder, gazpacho and onion soup Clap
Touts Out!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

CRISC annual dinner - 3 courses - chowder, gazpacho and onion soup Clap

Now now CR the wars over 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 3:55pm
Just an update here.  All flags and banners we submitted to the HFF have been approved.  

I plan to keep this document and update it with any new flags/banners that are shared with me and submit for approval for future games.  So for example if you have sent me your flag it will automatically be sent to the French Federation for approval for Paris etc etc.

Please also note the only details I've shared with the FAI are the photo provided and the dimensions provided.  For flags of a certain size I have included details such as made by flagman, made in the EU by x company in Poland say etc.  I have not provided any names with the flag details. 

Note all flags and banners will still be checked in Greece.  
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 6:01pm
Gary, you’ve already said this is not needed, its not an FAI request. You are doing this off your own bat. Why? Theres no need. You are now compiling a database of flags/banners . 

Im sorry and don’t mean to be rude, but there is no need for this and I doubt highly if its part of your remit.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 6:14pm
For the record. 

There is only ONE flag. 
It represents all fans on the island of Ireland. 

This FLAG of US 

Alan Keane on Tour
AKOT to his friends and royalty
It would damage this forums' reputation
DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 8:09pm
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Gary, you’ve already said this is not needed, its not an FAI request. You are doing this off your own bat. Why? Theres no need. You are now compiling a database of flags/banners . 

Im sorry and don’t mean to be rude, but there is no need for this and I doubt highly if its part of your remit.

I'm doing it because there have been issues in a few places now with banners 

Obviously totally optional and it is just a document with lots of photos and dimensions in each case.  

Anything that potentially makes our fans life easier home or abroad is within the remit so i think it does.  Obviously anyone is free to ignore it.  

I don't see the issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic