You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eurovision 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 2:29pm
Would agree with the general consensus that it was a poor song performed badly so we can’t really have any complaints on that front.

A bigger issue for us however is definitely the lack of neighbours. Did anyone see the Croatian ‘song’? Load of aul lads rambling away. Might have been the worst Eurovision song ever - which is obviously saying something. However given their geographic location they went through, so…

Edited by Devrozex - 10 May 2023 at 2:30pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 2:34pm
The croats, they probably got the protest vote from fans around Europe who wanted to just send the most ridiculous act through.

However, we tried that with Dustin yhe turkey and it didn't work either! So yeah I do think the neighbour thing doesn't help us.
That being said, you often see likes of Iceland going far. Portgual usually make it.
If you have a good song you will go through. We have just served up poor or average songs/performances for the part 20 years more or less.

The You're a Star thing that had a link up with the eurovision act, maybe that might be worth a shot again? 

Edited by t_rAndy - 10 May 2023 at 2:35pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Would agree with the general consensus that it was a poor song performed badly so we can’t really have any complaints on that front.

A bigger issue for us however is definitely the lack of neighbours. Did anyone see the Croatian ‘song’? Load of aul lads rambling away. Might have been the worst Eurovision song ever - which is obviously saying something. However given their geographic location they went through, so…
None of Croatia's neighbours were eligible to vote in Semi final 1 with the exception of Serbia and that wouldn't be a guarantee of loads of votes given the history there. 
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 2:59pm
The whole thing has been taken over as a form of Pride event for the last decade or more.

Not that that's an issue, either you get with that and send an act that appeals to that demographic or you don't.

Sending a band called wild youth that are neither wild nor young appeals to no one.

Anyway, it's a totally different event these days than it's Irish heyday.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 3:10pm
And very much on the more flamboyant side of Pride, stopped been mainstream family entertainment a long time ago. Each to their own.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Just send U2 

I think that's what Wild Youth were trying to go for. Failed miserably though.
Actually I think it was just the main singer. The rest of the band likenthe sound was grand. If lead singer had of put on a great performance then it might have been different. 

That's two years in a row we have sent in something sounding off key. 
It's like we are sh*tting the bed each time.

For a country that prides themselves on music and the arts, not sure how we can't find an act to just put on a great performance that at least gets us into the final. 

Kind of my point too, though I do make that joke every year, but they definitely came across as U2 wannabes. 

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 10:34pm
Important to note they changed the voting structure this year. Only the 15 countries taking part in semi-final 1 were allowed vote alongside three of the countries pre-qualified for the final – France, Germany & Italy. There was no block voting. 

The performance was just bad. The song was bland. The staging was dull. Middle of the road crap that was far from memorable. 
Only ourselves to blame on this one too, as said previously the song choice needs to be taken off the Late Late Show as the demographics are totally different. From memory there was a better song that night but was a bit out there for the Late Late viewers. 

I think it's time for Ireland to step outside the box a bit and consider sending a song as Gaeilge. The Seo Linn crowd who did the Irish Roar song for Euro 2016 should be prime candidates. 

Edited by ShamtheRam - 10 May 2023 at 10:37pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 1:30am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

They should take the Irish selection show off the Late Late Show for a start. Have it as its own programme on a Saturday evening before Christmas or something.

This would help as the demograhic who watch the Late Late aren't the same as Eurovision votes.
They need to also have a serious look at how the finalists are chosen also.

It fills up a night for the late late show. Who else are they going to get on? 

They should just send over someone singing "my lovely horse". 
Let Christy Take It.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:20am
Originally posted by tapfit2004 tapfit2004 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

They should take the Irish selection show off the Late Late Show for a start. Have it as its own programme on a Saturday evening before Christmas or something.

This would help as the demograhic who watch the Late Late aren't the same as Eurovision votes.
They need to also have a serious look at how the finalists are chosen also.

It fills up a night for the late late show. Who else are they going to get on? 

They should just send over someone singing "my lovely horse". 
Great input, thanks.

Edited by FrankosHereNow - 11 May 2023 at 10:20am
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 5:21pm
The song was ok. Bit of a rip off of Bonos Euro 2020 anthem though.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:17pm
Semi final 2 didn't pull up any trees anyway Sleepy
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 8:02am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Semi final 2 didn't pull up any trees anyway Sleepy

Yeah much weaker than the first. I liked the Belgian song. Most of my favorites are from the first semi though 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 9:00pm
Poland

❤️

As You Were
Three in a row
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 9:02pm
I find the Sweden song very meh... Don't think it deserves the runaway favourite tag. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

I find the Sweden song very meh... Don't think it deserves the runaway favourite tag. 
Yeah, it’s missing something. It’s got a big build up with no crescendo.

Not a patch on Euphoria a few years ago.

As You Were
Three in a row
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 9:24pm
FFS you morons Conan is on ITV4 now. f**king girlymen.
Arnie loyal.
No Pasaran!
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 9:33pm
There's a bang of World in Motion off of Belgium.

The main chorus is the same tune just with different words. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 10:33pm
The Brits song is catchy.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic