FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v France match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland v France match thread
    Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 4:01pm
That was Cullen's error. Knight had already turned, nothing he could do there.
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Luder Luder wrote:

Not sure if Cullen was 100% responsible for that goal. There was a miscommunication between him and O'Shea. O'Shea went to go for a run at the exact same time that Cullen attempted the pass to him. This was a miscommuncation or misunderstanding between the two of them. O'Shea could have reacted by at least tipping it back to Cullen. But instead, he tried to shield the ball and turn. That's when Pavard nipped in and stole the ball.

So I think they both share some responsibility for it.

It was Knight rather than O'Shea, but Cullen shouldnt be playing that pass regardless.
Idah Dream!
Luder View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 2:52pm
Not sure if Cullen was 100% responsible for that goal. There was a miscommunication between him and O'Shea. O'Shea went to go for a run at the exact same time that Cullen attempted the pass to him. This was a miscommuncation or misunderstanding between the two of them. O'Shea could have reacted by at least tipping it back to Cullen. But instead, he tried to shield the ball and turn. That's when Pavard nipped in and stole the ball.

So I think they both share some responsibility for it.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 3:15pm
Was reading the match programme earlier when I noticed something
https://twitter.com/irish_abroad/status/1641078055966842881

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Can anyone identify the fan in this photo?
The photographer is looking to make contact

Had anybody thought of the children/asthmatics first?

Assume you'd be falling over asthma exacerbations and flare-burnt kids in Vincent's today.

Edited by Beavis - 28 Mar 2023 at 4:13pm
<insert witty comment>
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Xavier is back and now in 42 form, EL    LOCO!!!!!

5hours ago

If it so that Dara avoided a big pelotazo con his face, thats a shame, imagine Kevin Moran or Richie Dunne, even though what a turnover by Cullen and where, I still don’t think Kenny is the main man. Bring El Loco

LOL
Was he banned off here or what!?

TJ forgot the log-ins.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Fireball07 Fireball07 wrote:

Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

A good performance by all the team tonight but a defeat none the less.
I think if we can play like that against Greece then we could get the win but as someone said earlier we've had false dawn's before.

The thing is... playing like that won't win us a game against Greece because Greece will not play like France.

We know that we can perform well against bigger teams, we've done it before under Kenny and our players are particularly suited to that kind of football. Kenny got his tactics spot-on tonight, I think.

But Greece will likely let us have more of the ball and we'll have to break them down. And that's a different ask rather than a French team who defend with only 7/8 players a lot of the time. Giroud can't run and Mbappe is a lazy f**ker.

Different story trying to break down a low block with 10 behind the ball.

We don't really have that midfield guile so we need to find another way to break these teams down structurally. Ferguson might help in that regard, probably more suited to play in a team that dominate possession than today's counter-attacking performance.

4-3-3 with Smallbone as one of the midfield 3 is how we should set up vs Gibraltar. I'd be wary of doing so away to Greece (or at least starting that way vs Greece). Greece are a team that are likely close enough to being on a par with us, but we will need the guile of Smallbone there too in a 3-5-2 or whatever it might be. Molumby and Knight are great midfielders in a game where you expect to have a lot less of the ball, if we intend to try and have 50/50 possession vs the Greeks then we will need midfielders who are good with the ball.
Idah Dream!
Hatsoff View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatsoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I wouldn’t read too much into this. I think it simply stems from the fact that Brain Kerr isn’t gone on the fact Kenny has popularity/adulation as an Ireland manager with a LOI/FAI background that Kerr was never quite granted. 

Kerr doesn’t need to air his grievances (not so) subtly but I do think Stephen Kenny has been given a soft time considering the overall direction of his results so far.

If Mick Mac had the results of the WC qualifying campaign/2 Nations League Kenny has manufactured so far people would want his head on a spike. 

Kerr's 70 years old. You'd think he'd have a better perspective on life.

We are more resentful of peers than others so maybe that's all it is.

He views Kenny as a younger version of himself and resents the positive feeling towards him despite the results.

Nothing wrong with critical analysis but it should be balanced. You highlight the good and bad of a performance.

All we can ask of managers is make the most of resources and give us a bit of hope and something to shout for. It's only a game but is part of our identity and pride.

Hopefully we beat Greece away and then we'll have that glimmer of hope.

Edited by Hatsoff - 28 Mar 2023 at 3:20pm
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

That fella is in a photo at every single match.

Won't be hard to find...
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:59pm

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:56pm

I'd say lansdowne rd security are dying to find out as well.
The dark side.. And the light
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:47pm

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I wouldn’t read too much into this. I think it simply stems from the fact that Brain Kerr isn’t gone on the fact Kenny has popularity/adulation as an Ireland manager with a LOI/FAI background that Kerr was never quite granted. 

Kerr doesn’t need to air his grievances (not so) subtly but I do think Stephen Kenny has been given a soft time considering the overall direction of his results so far.

If Mick Mac had the results of the WC qualifying campaign/2 Nations League Kenny has manufactured so far people would want his head on a spike. 

I think people have been giving Kenny time as there are a lot of things people are seeing that they like and also believe in giving a fair chance. We have always given managers a full WC campaign and a EURO campaign other than Stan. He was on the brink here and there but pulled the nose up at crucial times.
Think everyone accepts though that if he doesn't qualify us for Euros then would be hard for him to stay on again unless it can be shown on the pitch that we are punching above our weight on a consistent basis during the group and we only just fell short because it was Netherlands and France

Edited by t_rAndy - 28 Mar 2023 at 2:47pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:46pm
Kerr was welcomed like no manager I've ever seen, and was supported by pretty much everyone in the press at the time of his appointment. His relationship with the press soured as his reign continued, and had deteriorated completely at the end. Kenny is criticised, maybe not to the same degree, or Kerr feels it's not to the same degree, so he had to stick the knife in
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:29pm

Edited by kevin100 - 28 Mar 2023 at 2:29pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Hatsoff Hatsoff wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Is Kerr on glue? A midfield compromising of 2 championship and a league 1 player. 

None of our squad would even get into the France 2nd string.

We were playing the team that made the last 2 world cup finals.

Some people will NEVER be happy.

I think Kerr has beef with either Kenny or the FAI or both.

You'd think Kenny and Kerr would be kindred spirits since they've had very similar career paths. Neither played football at any real level and made their bones in the LOI.

Both are very supportive of LOI and passionate about Irish football in general.

Does anyone have any insight on this? 

No inside info but Kerr clearly strongly dislikes Kenny. I'd say only the two men know what is going on there (or perhaps only Kerr himself) but it doesn't reflect well on him at all.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I don't get this "France didn't move into 2nd gear" crap.
That Irish team worked really hard to not allow France to get into second gear.
Maybe give the players credit for that. They kept one of the best teams in the world with some of the best players in the world, playing for the best clubs in Europe, quiet for large periods. Ireland had the sane amount of changes on goal as the France too. Easier to beat down your own a suppose.

The dynamic of the game played a part in that though. Any game where there's only a goal in it in the last five minutes always has that element of risk for the team in the lead, but it's something most teams are used to dealing with, as France did last night. But if for some reason France had to win that by 2 or 3 goals I'd say they would have done, they'd have just pushed on more after the goal. 

So for that reason we didn't really force out the best of France, a 1 goal win was as good as a 4 goal win for them. Generally that's how France do it away from home in qualifiers. They do what they have to do and no more, they rarely hammer teams away from home, even weaker teams than Ireland. It works for them.

I think your attitude is highly disrespectful to the Irish players who left it all and everything on the pitch last night. That is all you can ask from them as supporters. Just a mistake and a brilliant save away from a result last night. those are the inches you are dealing with in football.

Edited by darman28 - 28 Mar 2023 at 5:41pm
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Hatsoff Hatsoff wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Is Kerr on glue? A midfield compromising of 2 championship and a league 1 player. 

None of our squad would even get into the France 2nd string.

We were playing the team that made the last 2 world cup finals.

Some people will NEVER be happy.

I think Kerr has beef with either Kenny or the FAI or both.

You'd think Kenny and Kerr would be kindred spirits since they've had very similar career paths. Neither played football at any real level and made their bones in the LOI.

Both are very supportive of LOI and passionate about Irish football in general.

Does anyone have any insight on this? 

Aside from Kerr's bitterness towards his own Ireland spell, the only other connection would be that they worked together at Pats in the 90s for a while, Kerr as manager and Kenny as u-21 manager before he took the Longford job. Hardly worth holding a grudge for over 25 years though. 

Edited by dangere_here - 28 Mar 2023 at 1:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
  Share Topic