You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Current NI Squad - 7th March 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:36am
Bradley the only one who I think in a few years we'll regret missing out on.

Despite the weakness in their current squad, they have a very favourable group. If they can get a result against Finland this week they'll be in with a chance 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:44am
If we're talking about current squad's, not one player would make our squad. Evans is a 35yo CB who hasn't played 10mins of football since October and has pulled out of North's squad due to injury.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:58am
I think McNair is the only one that I think is a debatable possibility. Evans would have waltzed into our team at any time in the past., but not necessarily now. I also think we would be prioritising our current young lads over the likes of Price and Charles.

Then, the likes of McGennis is behind Will Keane in the Wigan team. Obgene is a regular in the Rotherham team, and having a better season than Washington. Defensively, we have enough options not to needs players like Lewis who might otherwise make the squad if he was in form. Keeperwise, Bazunu and Kelleher would make their squad, and one of them would hold the Number 1 jersey. Max O'Leary would also stake a claim.

I dont think much of our current squad to be honest, but I think MON will have a job or work on his hands to get a tune out of this squad.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I think McNair is the only one that I think is a debatable possibility. Evans would have waltzed into our team at any time in the past., but not necessarily now. I also think we would be prioritising our current young lads over the likes of Price and Charles.

Then, the likes of McGennis is behind Will Keane in the Wigan team. Obgene is a regular in the Rotherham team, and having a better season than Washington. Defensively, we have enough options not to needs players like Lewis who might otherwise make the squad if he was in form. Keeperwise, Bazunu and Kelleher would make their squad, and one of them would hold the Number 1 jersey. Max O'Leary would also stake a claim.

I dont think much of our current squad to be honest, but I think MON will have a job or work on his hands to get a tune out of this squad.

Weak squad or not, I guarantee you they will be a lot more of a cohesive unit defensively under O'Neill as opposed to our side under Kenny. They'll get at least draw with Finland imo and have an excellent chance at second spot. They'll be in contention for qualification from the group a lot longer than us  with that dream draw as 5th seeds Cry

Edited by irishmufc - 21 Mar 2023 at 2:48pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Weak squad or not, I guarantee you they will be a lot more of a cohesive unit defensively under O'Neill as opposed to our side under Kenny. They'll get at least draw with Finland imo and have an excellent chance at second spot. They'll be in contention for qualification from the group a lot longer than us  with that dream draw as 5th seeds Cry

I certainly envy their draw. Thats for sure. And I wouldn't disagree with MON setting out his stall strictly around the back.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:02pm
Don't think they'll be competitive this time around, previously they had 2 technically proficient players in midfield running the show - Davis & Dallas.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:06pm
He'll make them hard to score against and dangerous from set pieces. That alone can make you competitive in international football (something we seem to have forgotten). You wouldn't know in that group, they could give it a run alright. Would likely be the worst team at the finals if they qualified though, looking at their squad.

Edited by You Tell Me - 21 Mar 2023 at 3:07pm
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:03pm
Bradley, Ballard, McNair and Lewis would be the only ones who would even make our squad I reckon. Saville if he was on good form, I suppose.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Bradley, Ballard, McNair and Lewis would be the only ones who would even make our squad I reckon. Saville if he was on good form, I suppose.

So you’re taking Bradley over one of Coleman/Doherty?

And Ballard doesn’t get near our squad, centre back is where we are stocked with quality.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

And Ballard doesn’t get near our squad, centre back is where we are stocked with quality.
Sorry should have clarified, Bradley would be one for the future. He wouldn't get in ahead of the current lads, no.

Not sure if I agree with you on Ballard. From what I've seen of the two of them, I personally think he is a bit better than Omobamidele, but of course AO is a few years younger.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Bradley looks a talent. He's had a very good loan at Bolton. He could be a PL regular down the line.

Which makes Liverpool signing Calvin Ramsay look a bit strange. He's a talent himself. But has been injured for most of the season.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:31pm
The calculation seems to be that Bradley is a good player, but he will fall short of what would be needed to make it at Liverpool. 

His level will probably be lower end EPL or the top end of the Championship. Which is still decent going.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The calculation seems to be that Bradley is a good player, but he will fall short of what would be needed to make it at Liverpool. 

His level will probably be lower end EPL or the top end of the Championship. Which is still decent going.

I'm not sure that has been decided just yet, he's still very young, 19yo and is having a good loan at the top end of L1, having been given his debut by Klopp last season as an 18yo. Ramsey has been plagued with injuries since he arrived and as a result may struggle to make the grade. Bradley could yet have a future at Liverpool, albeit probably as a squad player at best. He's been good at Bolton, contributed a couple of goals and assists and has stayed mostly fit I think which is a good sign. He could yet have a pretty high ceiling imo. I was disappointed he plumped for the North and I think he will be too in time, looking at their squad. He would have had a fair chance of breaking into our squad next campaign.
Idah Dream!
Ireland United View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland United Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:03pm
Re Conor Bradley, definitely one that got away as he 100% is Irish, supports Ireland, played GAA with his local club and school CBS Omagh (Conor was in Croke Park on St Patrick's day cheering on his former school & team mates win the All Ireland Hogan Cup)
Would loved to have seen him play for Ireland, have to respect his decision but while Conor played GAA for his local club, he is from a fairly unionist village nearby, things being the way they are up here, their family business in the town could have come under threat had he switched to play for Ireland as is was eligible to do.
Sad but true the way things still are up here, especially as his former GAA teamate 'Cead McGrath" who wile still born in the North, is from.a more Nationalist /Republican area a few miles down the road, Cead plays for Finn Harps & has captained Ireland u16s.
Ultimately though its both players choices, obviously I'd like to see them both playing for Ireland, think Conor would definitely have been in the mix if he keeps progressing.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:07pm
Yes I agree. I was disappointed he went with them also. I don't think he'll make it at Liverpool long term all the same, but he should have a good career at a decent level.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:08pm
Yes, it's disappointing - probably for all concerned. 

NI were very cute in getting both Conor Bradley and Shea Charles cap-tied at the ages of 17/18.
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Yes I agree. I was disappointed he went with them also. I don't think he'll make it at Liverpool long term all the same, but he should have a good career at a decent level.
Think Bradley probably get loan move to championship next year and then maybe spent year or 2 as squad player and get a decent move like Neco Williams. I think he will have good career 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:13pm
In fairness rness we have plenty coming through in that position that look like they will have very good careers, Festy, Danny Mc, Andy Lyons and Sam Curtis 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic