You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Latvia match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:56pm
A mixed performance, with some old reliable problems - conceded a long range goal, a goal from a set-piece and started the 2nd half poorly.

The good - when we pass the ball with pace we look quite good. The newer players looked promising. And we created a good number of chances.

Hopefully the team can put in a big effort against France and get something out of that game by any means necessary.

Desperately need some momentum to get some confidence into the team.
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

A mixed performance, with some old reliable problems - conceded a long range goal, a goal from a set-piece and started the 2nd half poorly.

The good - when we pass the ball with pace we look quite good. The newer players looked promising. And we created a good number of chances.

Hopefully the team can put in a big effort against France and get something out of that game by any means necessary.

Desperately need some momentum to get some confidence into the team.

Best newcomer?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 11:20pm
Latvia were sh*te, we are in deep do do and jaysus turning more corners than a one legged blind man
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 11:50pm
Why do Latvians in Ireland not care to support their team like how the polish do? 

Was in a pub in Dublin years ago and the place was packed with them supporting their ice hockey team. Thought more would have come out for this.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:10am
Just back from the game and I come on here, 30 posts ripping into Kenny, 30 posts ripping into Kelleher, not one post on Smallbone, excellent debut.
Idah Dream!
TheFieldsOfAthenry View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFieldsOfAthenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:11am
I appreciate tonight was a boring friendly but the atmosphere was dreadful. I couldn't believe the amount of families who bought tickets only to have their kids playing on phones and iPads for the entire 90 minutes. I appreciate for some it's probably cheaper than getting someone to mind them but it just seems a total waste of a seat when they clearly have zero interest in the game. Atmosphere needs to be much better on Monday 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:14am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Just back from the game and I come on here, 30 posts ripping into Kenny, 30 posts ripping into Kelleher, not one post on Smallbone, excellent debut.

Lots of posts in this thread saying he was the best player 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:21am
Jeez there are some angry people on here.

Thought Smallbone and Ferguson were very good, enjoyed Johnston’s cameo! 

An enjoyable match to watch, never in my life did I think I would say that talking about an Ireland friendly.

Also cheers to the protestors at Dublin tunnel, only managed to grab one quick pint before the match Cry
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:24am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Why do Latvians in Ireland not care to support their team like how the polish do? 

Was in a pub in Dublin years ago and the place was packed with them supporting their ice hockey team. Thought more would have come out for this.

Unlike in Poland, football isn't a major sport in Latvia so they won't have been too bothered about it. They're more into their basketball and ice hockey there, and they produce some decent bobsled teams as well because they have a track in the country.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:24am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Lots of posts in this thread saying he was the best player 

Good, my point is that certain people like to focus on the negatives. It was an outstanding debut and it looks like finally we might have found a midfielder who can actually play progressive football, that's a huge positive. Overall, I was pretty happy leaving the ground. I was in 520 and their first goal was just wow, one of the best goals Ive seen live in quite some time, no keeper was saving it, maybe he could have been closed down better but it flew right in to the top corner. Their second is just bad defending from us, havent seen it back to see how much blame can be apportioned to the keeper, it took a deflection obviously, but maybe he could still have kept it out, I'll reserve judgment until I see it back. Overall though, I thought we played well. Our defence was the weak link, but tbf 3 of the 5 are short on game time and one isnt a defender. We got our lead back relatively quickly in the 2nd half and saw the game out comfortably, despite a plethora of changes. Johnston's cameo was another positive. All in all, a decent performance, a win and we move on to the important stuff. Plenty of reasons to be positive in my opinion. Evan getting his goal despite not having a great game was another big plus.

Edited by John Nice - 23 Mar 2023 at 12:25am
Idah Dream!
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:27am
thought there was some really poor play on show tonight.Some of the real basics of the game where awful from our players....passing long and short,basic control of the ball,some of the throw ins and corners and movement around the pitch were way of international level.Latvia are a poor enough team but we didn’t do enough tonight,ok we got the win and there were some positives (Ferguson being the only one for me) but the players really need to have a look at themselves sometimes and say that it’s not good enough.I don’t care what people say,what we had out on the pitch tonight should be beating that Latvia well...not scraping by them.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:28am
Originally posted by TheFieldsOfAthenry TheFieldsOfAthenry wrote:

I appreciate tonight was a boring friendly but the atmosphere was dreadful. I couldn't believe the amount of families who bought tickets only to have their kids playing on phones and iPads for the entire 90 minutes. I appreciate for some it's probably cheaper than getting someone to mind them but it just seems a total waste of a seat when they clearly have zero interest in the game. Atmosphere needs to be much better on Monday 

I was in 520 and there was a bit of that alright, but tbh it's a midweek friendly vs Latvia, everybody is building up to the big one on Monday so it isnt a great surprise, there were still 40000 plus there and they were treated to an entertaining game of football, we won, job done, now on to the meaningful stuff.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:29am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

thought there was some really poor play on show tonight.Some of the real basics of the game where awful from our players....passing long and short,basic control of the ball,some of the throw ins and corners and movement around the pitch were way of international level.Latvia are a poor enough team but we didn’t do enough tonight,ok we got the win and there were some positives (Ferguson being the only one for me) but the players really need to have a look at themselves sometimes and say that it’s not good enough.I don’t care what people say,what we had out on the pitch tonight should be beating that Latvia well...not scraping by them.

That's quite the take. Smallbone, Johnston's cameo???
Idah Dream!
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:33am
Enter Sandman when the teams come out Clap
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:34am
Just back from the game and haven't seen any highlights. My only takes so far is that Smallbone was good, Doherty was poor, Johnson looked tricky and O'S is still the biggest gimp on this forum. 
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:36am

Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

That's quite the take. Smallbone, Johnston's cameo???

I thought smallbone was just ok.....he played his role.there was nobody on the pitch that really stood out for me tonight.smallbone was tidy enough but it wouldn’t of taken much to shine tonight.Johnston was direct but you can’t judge him on 15mins against a tiring Latvia.

hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
DC96 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 12:38am
I like Kenny, but what's abundantly clear is that his system is incapable of delivering a single game where we can actually show some form of control for extended periods. It's all well and good having possession, but we seem to play so chaotically under any degree of pressure it's all inevitably going to collapse at some point in any game, regardless of opposition.

We play well against sides who come at us, so I'm quietly optimistic we can nab a point against France, but I've little faith on the basis of tonight we'll see any improvement in games against sides at our or a lower level.

Latvia were pretty abysmal honestly, and yet out of nothing towards the end of the first half and for the start of the second we went from absolutely cruising to a bit of a mess, space everywhere, and the standard 25 yard goal, identical to the two Armenia got, Azerbaijan got 1, Luxembourg etc etc. It's not a coincidence.

So yeah a wins a win, but I'd have hoped we'd see tangible signs of Kenny's system improving i.e just a simple easy 2-0, manage the game, nothing stupid. But alas, collapse for a good half hour, constantly give the ball away and against far better sides than Latvia that'll be what's decisive. Teams set up well defensively only need 1-2 sniffs to punish you and they won't ship the shambolic goals Latvia did tonight.

f**k it, on to France and hope we can pull a shock.
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 1:10am
Originally posted by TheFieldsOfAthenry TheFieldsOfAthenry wrote:

I brought my son so he could experience it and maybe enjoy it. Nothing about childminding, there were loads of free seats and surely a sub-capacity friendly is the time to try it out. 

He was bored and wanted to go at half time (though somehow also being very excited about having gone and looking forward to bringing programme to school the next day). After running out of jellies to buy minutes with, watching youtube on the phone was the only way I could make it to see the 90. He volunteered to be counted out of the France match (wasn't going anyway). 

I was also trying to join in chants more than any of the kid-free people around me. Yes atmosphere was totally cr@p but ire is misdirected.

Edited by Beavis - 23 Mar 2023 at 1:12am
<insert witty comment>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
  Share Topic