You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Latvia match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:05am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

But we scored 3 times? Why is it more important not to concede 2 (one being a wondergoal) than it is to score two more? The outcome is the same, a 1 goal win.

Because its speaks to the team being on the back-foot for a part of the match. And anybody watching saw that.

But the point is people were bemoaning the fact that Ireland only won by the odd goal (and 6 of that team didnt start vs France, others needed the minutes, 2 full debutantes and another off the bench) and Latvia obviously caused the higher ranked Wales side problems also. We won the game, some of the criticism after the game (a friendly) was ott.

Issue is for me it’s a carbon copy of what happened against Armenia. Went 2-0 and nearly fell over ourselves trying to throw it away. Went ahead against Scotland and Ukraine gave the lead away as well lesser extent than the first two but still signs of a pattern. 

The big positive for this Irish team is we now have a range of attackers who have shown they know where the net is to an extent at international level. Ogbene,Obafemi,Parrott without including the arrival of Evan Ferguson. Oldest of them is Ogbene at 25. It’s all very positive coupled with our obvious set piece threat. 

Our defensive weakness is worrying and the lack of ability to protect that D area/area just outside the box also. Signs of that again Monday night. Our set piece defending did improve Monday night and the management deserve credit for that even if we didn’t have many to deal with.

Seems to me the goals from distance/not protecting the D area this will be to Kenny what the passing stats thing was to Martin O’Neill going by his frosty response to a perfectly fair question from Tony O’Donoughue the other night. 

But the goal vs France wasnt similar in nature to several of the others, it has just become a trope now. The French goal was a passing error from inside the box, rather than a failure to close down the space to oncoming attackers. It is clearly a concern, but perhaps overstated imo, the Latvian goal was a worldie from 25 yards out.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:11am

But we scored 3 times? Why is it more important not to concede 2 (one being a wondergoal) than it is to score two more? The outcome is the same, a 1 goal win.

Because its speaks to the team being on the back-foot for a part of the match. And anybody watching saw that.

For about 15 minutes? We were well on top for the vast majority of the game. How does winning 1-0 mean you were never on the back foot either, you could easily be on the back foot for most of the game and still win 1-0....
We're decent enough..
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 1:00pm

For about 15 minutes? We were well on top for the vast majority of the game. How does winning 1-0 mean you were never on the back foot either, you could easily be on the back foot for most of the game and still win 1-0....

In fairness, I never said that a 1-0 wouldn't imply being on the back foot. But that it means the defence held up to scrutiny and did its job. From a defence, you cant ask more more than a clean sheet.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 2:18pm

In fairness, I never said that a 1-0 wouldn't imply being on the back foot. But that it means the defence held up to scrutiny and did its job. From a defence, you cant ask more more than a clean sheet.

And from an attack,you can't ask much more than scoring 3 goals? Again, you're completely bias-ing one aspect over another for some obscure reason.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 2:40pm

The defence last Wednesday comprised a 20yo, a 21yo and a 24yo, who had never played together before, 2 of whom were badly in need of game time as were the GK and the RWB. The LWB wasnt really a defender and Molumby was playing the Cullen role which is pretty new to him, so it's kind of understandable to a degree that the defence didnt cover themselves in glory on the night.
Idah Dream!
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 2:40pm

And from an attack,you can't ask much more than scoring 3 goals? Again, you're completely bias-ing one aspect over another for some obscure reason.

don't be a bleedin ghoul O'Shea. He made his point fair and square. Better to keep a clean sheet and win 1 nil that win 5-4 and conceed. Point made
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 3:01pm

The reason I didn’t mention the attack is simply because they did their job, generally. And as part of the progress is good to see EF get off the mark and Ogbene continue to score. But, it would be more rounded if the defence keeps a clean sheet. I don’t think we have the players to outscore teams ( i.e. you score five, we score six), so it’s important for our defence to remain robust. We are demonstrably less robust, defensively speaking, at the moment, than we have historically been, 
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

I like the look of Mikey Johnston

Saw him loads at Celtic. Headless chicken.

We don’t have a good record of our players playing with Celtic so wouldn’t read into that either way. Tinpot club in a tinpot league imo. 

Johnston played well when he came on tonight 

Tinpot Club with the future coach of Liverpool or Man City and with 4/5 players who will play at the very top level in the next 5 years ..

LOLLOLLOL, breathalyser required here folks 

My apologies, future coach of Spurs - replacing Conte, who replaced Mourinho. Not bad for the manager of a tinpot club? Also, Jota, Hatate, Carter-Vickers and Kyogo will all be proven to be elite players. 

Edited by TheNumber6 - 25 May 2023 at 10:34pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 10:45pm

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

I like the look of Mikey Johnston

Saw him loads at Celtic. Headless chicken.

We don’t have a good record of our players playing with Celtic so wouldn’t read into that either way. Tinpot club in a tinpot league imo. 

Johnston played well when he came on tonight 

Tinpot Club with the future coach of Liverpool or Man City and with 4/5 players who will play at the very top level in the next 5 years ..

LOLLOLLOL, breathalyser required here folks 

My apologies, future coach of Spurs - replacing Conte, who replaced Mourinho. Not bad for the manager of a tinpot club? Also, Jota, Hatate, Carter-Vickers and Kyogo will all be proven to be elite players. 

Elite LOL
Gaff View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 9:42am
When is the squad announced?
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Gaff Gaff wrote:

When is the squad announced?

About 3 months ago. We won 3-2 Wink
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 10:55am
LOL
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:56am
LOLLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
  Share Topic