You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Latvia match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 9:49am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Just back from the game and I come on here, 30 posts ripping into Kenny, 30 posts ripping into Kelleher, not one post on Smallbone, excellent debut.

The posters who don't bother their hole going to the game are usually the ones most vocal in their criticism.

Feckin bar stoolers.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:18am
Look forward to those moaning about kids at football games, having kids of their own.

How dare parents bring kids to a not sold out Latvia friendly, that seat could have been left empty the selfish feckers.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:22am
LOL
Personally thought the pros outweighed the cons.
Smallbone  Ferguson obafemi O’Dowda molumby all excellent, Johnston is an exciting player, kelleher was decent enough, beaten by a worldie and a deflection, needs game time as does Doherty , the only real disappointment for me. Need to tighten up on the space in front of our three cbs when not in possession too.
Still finding this Irish side the most watchable since micks first go at it.
No Pasaran!
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:24am

Just back from the game and I come on here, 30 posts ripping into Kenny, 30 posts ripping into Kelleher, not one post on Smallbone, excellent debut.

The posters who don't bother their hole going to the game are usually the ones most vocal in their criticism.

Fully agree. Don’t look at ybig until I’m on the train home and it’s the same every time.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:48am
How people can post during the game is beyond me. Maybe go and see it with your own eyes instead of criticisng every single play..........
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

How people can post during the game is beyond me. Maybe go and see it with your own eyes instead of criticisng every single play..........
Are you under the impression that everybody lives in Dublin? I live in the UK and have a season ticket but I'm not spending hundreds and taking 1.5/2 days off work to come see a midweek friendly vs Latvia.

Edited by SeaSharp - 23 Mar 2023 at 10:50am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Its quite easy when you have your phone in hand. In fact, depending on circumstances a lot easier that actually attending games for many reasons.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:51am
Plenty of postitives to take from the game.

Smallbone looked very comfortable on has debut, has played himself into the team for Monday. Ferguson getting his 1st Ireland goal and a great cameo from MJ. We need to shore up at the back and stop conceding those long rangers, it's becoming a real concern. I brought the misses to her first senior game and she loved it witnessing 5 goals. Think back to the friendlies under MON, grim times!
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:59am

+1

Frustrating to lose the two goal lead similar to Armenia but the positives with the debutants outweigh those negatives for me. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Enter Sandman when the teams come out Clap

Loved it!

Great tune but the timing of it when it gets cut short for the presidential greeting and anthems is strange. 

Has to be said again how sh*te our anthem is for sporting events.

Suppose it just needs to be started 30 seconds earlier but if that was being knocked out Monday night when the teams are coming out it would be absolutely class Clap
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 4:01pm
How much was a pint in the stadium ?? The real stuff not the 0.0 sh*te 

Do you still get the collectable Cup ?
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 6:17pm
Just to point out to all the lads banging on about the 133 ranked Latvia side last week, the team ranked 28 by FIFA and 16 in UEFA qualifying Wales only beat them 1-0 at home last night in a competitive game.
Idah Dream!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 6:21pm

Just to point out to all the lads banging on about the 133 ranked Latvia side last week, the team ranked 28 by FIFA and 16 in UEFA qualifying Wales only beat them 1-0 at home last night in a competitive game.

We conceded twice to them, and the Latvian defender put the winner on a plate for us.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

We conceded twice to them, and the Latvian defender put the winner on a plate for us.

But we scored 3 times? Why is it more important not to concede 2 (one being a wondergoal) than it is to score two more? The outcome is the same, a 1 goal win.
We're decent enough..
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 10:31am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

But we scored 3 times? Why is it more important not to concede 2 (one being a wondergoal) than it is to score two more? The outcome is the same, a 1 goal win.

Because its speaks to the team being on the back-foot for a part of the match. And anybody watching saw that.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 10:49am

Because its speaks to the team being on the back-foot for a part of the match. And anybody watching saw that.

But the point is people were bemoaning the fact that Ireland only won by the odd goal (and 6 of that team didnt start vs France, others needed the minutes, 2 full debutantes and another off the bench) and Latvia obviously caused the higher ranked Wales side problems also. We won the game, some of the criticism after the game (a friendly) was ott.
Idah Dream!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 10:58am

But the point is people were bemoaning the fact that Ireland only won by the odd goal (and 6 of that team didnt start vs France, others needed the minutes, 2 full debutantes and another off the bench) and Latvia obviously caused the higher ranked Wales side problems also. We won the game, some of the criticism after the game (a friendly) was ott.

True. But Kenny has generally taken friendly matches seriously. Thats indicated by his team selections, and even his substitutions in those games. Issues that have raised their head during Kenny's time in charge also repeated themselves in this game. Conceding to a minnow (yes a minnow), being forced to recover the loss of a two goal lead, a period of the game where we looked listless and out of ideas, and finally circling the wagons in order to secure the win (Latvia even had a late chance). My point is, not all wins are equal. A 1-0 win is uninspiring, but there remains a clean sheet, and the defence escapes intact.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 10:59am

Issue is for me it’s a carbon copy of what happened against Armenia. Went 2-0 and nearly fell over ourselves trying to throw it away. Went ahead against Scotland and Ukraine gave the lead away as well lesser extent than the first two but still signs of a pattern. 

The big positive for this Irish team is we now have a range of attackers who have shown they know where the net is to an extent at international level. Ogbene,Obafemi,Parrott without including the arrival of Evan Ferguson. Oldest of them is Ogbene at 25. It’s all very positive coupled with our obvious set piece threat. 

Our defensive weakness is worrying and the lack of ability to protect that D area/area just outside the box also. Signs of that again Monday night. Our set piece defending did improve Monday night and the management deserve credit for that even if we didn’t have many to deal with.

Seems to me the goals from distance/not protecting the D area this will be to Kenny what the passing stats thing was to Martin O’Neill going by his frosty response to a perfectly fair question from Tony O’Donoughue the other night. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
  Share Topic