You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mikey Johnston

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mikey Johnston
    Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 7:13pm
Declared and in with a shot of being included in the Latvia/France squad if his registration is settled in time. 

Currently playing for a high-level team in Portugal, Vitoria Guimaraes, in fifth just behind Sporting Lisbon, though recently lost his starting slot. 

Kenny said today: 

“He has attributes that, to be honest, we probably don’t have in the squad.  A winger of that ilk, a right footed left winger who can dribble and take people inside or outside.  I thought the paperwork would have been done last week but it’s still not through. We’ll have to assess if he’s in the next squad but I expect him to be important and very much be involved in the campaign ahead".

Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 7:15pm
Wonder does he see him as a potential wing back option? For people who watched him at Celtic more frequently than me would he appeal as a type that could play that role?

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Mar 2023 at 7:15pm
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 7:42pm
I wish Mikey the best of luck but he does seem injury prone.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Wonder does he see him as a potential wing back option? For people who watched him at Celtic more frequently than me would he appeal as a type that could play that role?

Haven't seen him play in Portugal, but nothing I saw of him in a Celtic shirt would scream wing back. Old fashioned tricky winger is how I'd describe him. Very hard to see him being as heavily involved as Kenny seems to suggest, unless we see a change of tactical approach to some games,  which I would welcome.
Idah Dream!
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 8:29pm
Kenny surely must be looking at 433 4231 again. 

gongman View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gongman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 1:26am
Agree with this. Can’t see him playing as a wing back, he’s an old school tricky winger.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 4:04pm
Welcome onboard Jinky Junior Smile 

Not the most exciting switch of allegiance imo, but he's only 23 and definitely has ability. Good luck to him, hopefully he can stay injury free and kick on in his career.
Idah Dream!
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Welcome onboard Jinky Junior Smile 

Not the most exciting switch of allegiance imo, but he's only 23 and definitely has ability. Good luck to him, hopefully he can stay injury free and kick on in his career.
Post moved to the thread started last week. please have a quick scout around before starting new threadsThumbs Up
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 6:16pm
Unless we're moving to a back 4 this window I really don't see the point in calling him up this month. It would surely make more sense to call up one of the fringe midfielders/attacking mids/wing-backs if we're sticking with 5-3-2.
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:33pm
His club have confirmed his call up to the Ireland senior squad for the March games anyway. Will be interesting to see if he lasts any longer than CJ Hamilton did.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:34pm
Supposedly already called up to the Ireland squad?
Seems very strange?
I think his club just mean available to play or there is some confusion.
If true doesn't quite sit right that he is getting very special treatment.
It is not like we just convinced Damien Duff to play for us.
Where is he going to play. Formation change would make sense but whatever, wait and see I suppose

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Seems very strange?
Where is he going to play. Formation change would make sense but whatever, wait and see I suppose

Granny rulers always have got special treatment . But suppose Kenny will be trying to paint this as some sort of win. Could be in the long term. Who knows.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:43pm
Really bizarre.. who knows what SK thinks he's achieving with this one. Is he planning to go back to that turgid 3-4-3? This lad is not even close to being worthy of tactical adjustments being made for him.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Seems very strange?

Players that make the extended squad their clubs are likely informed a week before the squads named that they could be called up for international duty.

It's like MON and his 40 man squads that then got reduced a week later. Just now we're not announcing who makes the extended squads.

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Really bizarre.. who knows what SK thinks he's achieving with this one. Is he planning to go back to that turgid 3-4-3? This lad is not even close to being worthy of tactical adjustments being made for him.

Doubt he's coming in for anything more than the coaches getting a better look at him in training.

Edited by J89 - 09 Mar 2023 at 12:51pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:52pm
Wierd one. Seems like the Celtic obsession of this country winning out even if he doesn't even play for them. We play rubbish in any system with wingers too so can't see this working unless he's shoehorned into a wingback or striker/midfield role which I don't think the lad can even play as.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:54pm
Fair point about the extended squad, forgot that's a thing LOL
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 12:58pm
I don't think there's any great mystery here. Kenny was always going to pick him, as an under pressure manager he seems to see this as some kind of win he can sell to the public. The clubs get notice of the call ups well in advance, there's just usually an assumed embargo on publishing the details until the national association have done it. Vitória probably haven't realised this and have just gone and released the details anyway.

I suspect he'll win a few caps under Kenny and once Kenny is gone, unless he finds another level in his club career, he'll disappear out of the squad like Curtis, Horgan and many others before him.

Edited by You Tell Me - 09 Mar 2023 at 1:00pm
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Wierd one. Seems like the Celtic obsession of this country winning out even if he doesn't even play for them. We play rubbish in any system with wingers too so can't see this working unless he's shoehorned into a wingback or striker/midfield role which I don't think the lad can even play as.

Not as weird as this post. Are you really suggesting Kenny picked him (though it is still to be confirmed he will make the final squad) because he plays for Celtic?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic