You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mikey Johnston

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 12:40pm
Another start this weekend for Mikey (4 on the spin now) in a 1-0 win for Vitoria.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Another start this weekend for Mikey (4 on the spin now) in a 1-0 win for Vitoria.

They look set to sign him permanently, according to the Independent anyway.

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:16pm
Vitoria with a good end to the season, while they're a good few points off the big boys in Portuguesse football they cant finish any higher than their current position.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 15 May 2023 at 3:17pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Looking at the Portugese table, I'm not sure Vitoria have sealed Conference League football just yet, they can still finish 7th as far as I can see. They are currently in 5th, but the team behind them Arouca have a game in hand and will move above them with a win tonight. I would prefer to see him get his chance at Celtic and take it!
Idah Dream!
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:27pm

Looking at the Portugese table, I'm not sure Vitoria have sealed Conference League football just yet, they can still finish 7th as far as I can see. They are currently in 5th, but the team behind them Arouca have a game in hand and will move above them with a win tonight. I would prefer to see him get his chance at Celtic and take it!

Extra place is handed down from the cup final since Braga and Porto already have Champions League.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:32pm
lad would be better staying where he is rather than going for some sh1t championship move
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:43pm

Extra place is handed down from the cup final since Braga and Porto already have Champions League.

Still need to seal 6th though, which they havent done yet, they will likely do so next weekend against an opponent with nothing to play for, but their last game is then away to Porto, so they could slip up yet.
Idah Dream!
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:52pm

Still need to seal 6th though, which they havent done yet, they will likely do so next weekend against an opponent with nothing to play for, but their last game is then away to Porto, so they could slip up yet.
They don't need 6th. The team in 7th Chaves failed to get a European licence from UEFA.

They're guaranteed conference league 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

They don't need 6th. The team in 7th Chaves failed to get a European licence from UEFA.

They're guaranteed conference league 

Thanks, that explains it.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 6:28pm
Played the full 90 again yesterday in a 1-0 victory for Vitoria.
Idah Dream!
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:55pm
I think it’s quite likely he’ll stay with Vitoria. Would be good for him also. A nice lifestyle over there too. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 10:00am
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

I think it’s quite likely he’ll stay with Vitoria. Would be good for him also. A nice lifestyle over there too. 

He's had a decent loan spell, but you would hope that if he's to be as good as we all hope, then Celtic will take him back and play him. They arent exactly well stocked with reliable fit wide players. I'd hope to see him in the first team set up at Celtic next season tbh.
Idah Dream!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 10:16am

Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

He's had a decent loan spell, but you would hope that if he's to be as good as we all hope, then Celtic will take him back and play him. They arent exactly well stocked with reliable fit wide players. I'd hope to see him in the first team set up at Celtic next season tbh.
Why? Playing against the cream of Ross County, Kilmarnock and Livingston? If selected, maybe four big games a season against the other Glasgow mob. Irish players are more challenged in the Championship. Some people can't accept that the vast majority of Irish supporters don't give a fat rat's arse about Celtic. 
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 10:34am
Yeah, I think having more players playing across Europe can only benefit us. Different cultures, tactics, etc.

Cullen really benefitted from his two years in Belgium.

Ebosele will hopefully establish himself at Udinese next season. Or at least get a good Serie A loan move.

Realrover View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 5:04pm
f**k going back to Celtic and that hellhole of a league, hope he stays in Portugal where the standard is slightly better and the lifestyle is miles better. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Realrover Realrover wrote:

f**k going back to Celtic and that hellhole of a league, hope he stays in Portugal where the standard is slightly better and the lifestyle is miles better. 

Celtic are a much bigger club than Vitoria and will possibly have CL football, EL at a minimum. I'm not a big Celtic fan by any means, but I'm not sure why there seems to be such an attitude in here about lads that are. I'd prefer to see Johnston breaking into the first team at Celtic, I'm not sure why the lifestyle in Portugal is relevant, is Mikey a mate of yours? 

If he was at one of the big three clubs in Portugal, I could see the logic in him staying, but Vitoria didnt even make it through the qualifying stages of the Conference League this season and they are a full 21 points behind 4th spot in the Portugese League with a negative goal difference. Maybe that's Johnston's level, but they are likely no better than a Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen. I would hope Johnston can develop to a better level than that.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 12:47pm

Vitoria are a level above the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen, they're co-owned by the Arab/American billionaire owners of Aston Villa and are having a lot of money invested into them at present. (There are some rumours that something similar might be in the pipeline for Hibs with the City Group, but at this point in time Vitoria would be a level above them also).

Edited by You Tell Me - 27 May 2023 at 12:48pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Vitoria are a level above the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen, they're co-owned by the Arab/American billionaire owners of Aston Villa and are having a lot of money invested into them at present. (There are some rumours that something similar might be in the pipeline for Hibs with the City Group, but at this point in time Vitoria would be a level above them also).

They may be about to become a level above them, but they arent currently on the evidence of the season just gone. I wasnt aware of the large scale investment however and if the intention of the owners is to have them competing at the top end of the Portugese League then that moves the dial obviously. However there is a move across Europe whereby big clubs/owners are buying up these kind of clubs as feeder clubs rather than trying to develop them competitively. Celtic remain a very big club in, unfortunately for them, an uncompetitive League.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>
  Share Topic