You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mikey Johnston

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Because he hasn't shown anything to suggest that he should be in their squad - or ours for that matter.

Yes, nothing other than:

-  playing in 83% of the games of Portugal's fifth best team this season (starting most games) (behind Sporting in the league); 
- playing over 80 games for Celtic by the age of 22;
- 5 SPL medals;
- 3 Scottish FA Cup medals;
- 3 League Cup medals;
- being only 23 with a high ceiling ahead of him; and
- being the kind of tricky winger type player that we don't really have at present.

Other than that, he's brutal and it's a disgrace that we should be considering him for our squad. 

Really need to be picking Daryl Horgan for that spot in the squad.

Or, to put it another way, he's achieved far more already than Ray Houghton had when Jack initially picked him.  

If Johnston ultimately achieves even half of what Houghton did, his selection will have been a very good move.

If not, it's no loss.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play for us - he's an exciting player - and I expect he'll be a positive squad addition.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 10 Mar 2023 at 7:20pm
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Because he hasn't shown anything to suggest that he should be in their squad - or ours for that matter.

Yes, nothing other than:

-  playing in 83% of the games of Portugal's fifth best team this season (starting most games) (behind Sporting in the league); 
- 5 SPL medals;
- 3 League Cup medals;
- being the kind of tricky winger type player that we don't really have at present.

Other than that, he's brutal and it's a disgrace that we should be considering him for our squad. 

Celtic dont deem his fit for purpose. Never stood out when i watched him play for them before either. Ill hold my judgement but i wont be holding out hope hes going to turn into a world beater. 
I love beer gardens
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Yes, nothing other than:

playing in 83% of the games of Portugal's fifth best team this season (starting most games) (behind Sporting in the league); 
- 5 SPL medals;
- 3 League Cup medals;

I agree with the gist of your post but just to clarify - He has started 8 of their 23 games in the League this season with 7 sub apps, so has featured in 15 of their 23 League games. He has registered 1 goal and 2 assists in 742 minutes, so has played about 35% of the available 2070 minutes in the League.
Idah Dream!
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 10:06pm
There’s a large overreaction here from a lot of posters. Johnson is a decent enough winger with more technical ability than most of our squad; whether his final-product has improved enough to warrant him starting any games for us or not remains to be seen. Kenny had nothing to loose by calling him up and, to be fair, far more limited players have been regulars in our squad. Best of luck to him. 
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Wierd one. Seems like the Celtic obsession of this country winning out even if he doesn't even play for them.

I highly doubt Kenny gives two f**ks who he plays for. Also, “Celtic obsession”?? Not in this forum, that’s for sure; I’ve seen plenty of anti-Celtic vibes here, most of them completely unnecessary.

Edited by Fitz - 10 Mar 2023 at 10:11pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 9:19am
I only see him as a player to come off the bench to try and create something when your in need of a goal, especially against weaker opposition whereby we struggle at times to create and score goals.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kelvin View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 11:54am
Not heard any positive things about him from Scottish or non-Scottish Celtic supporters.

Can't say I know anything about him myself but surely can't be worse than some of the fringe players we have in that position.

Edited by kelvin - 11 Mar 2023 at 11:55am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 12:02pm
Who are our fringe players in his position though - Ogbene? Robinson? He's not as good as either of them. He's probably no worse than Horgan, Curtis or Hamilton but they don't get in the squad anyway so that's not a particularly high bar he's clearing there and doesn't mean he should be fast tracked into the senior squad.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 6:20pm

no worse than Horgan, Curtis or Hamilton 

He’s better than any of them for sure. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 11:38am
Came off the bench on the 60 minute mark in a 2-0 home defeat for Vitoria to Arouca in the Portugese League yesterday. Poor result for them. In any case, I suspect he'll be in the squad given the media coverage.
Idah Dream!
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 12:19pm
Johnston has plenty of talent but had a bad time of it with injuries.  He's definitely worth getting on board, and can still have a good career with Celtic.  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:23pm
Surprised Northern Ireland didn't try go for him 

Grandfather is from Derry/Londonderry
(Runs from cover here)

Edited by Healy52003 - 15 Mar 2023 at 6:24pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

(Runs from cover here)

Hes not that far gone

Yet
I love beer gardens
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:57pm

(Runs from cover here)

His grandfather would say he's from Derry - which pretty much says it all.
We're decent enough..
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 7:34pm

(Runs from cover here)

f**k out of here with that sh*t. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 7:37pm
LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

(Runs from cover here)

What a c*nt!
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

(Runs from cover here)

What a c*nt!

Him or me? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
  Share Topic