You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mikey Johnston

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:11pm
Must have some Agent this lad because the fuss made of him by the media, the FAI media pages and fan debates that have generated is something else! Hopefully he does well for us but in all honesty a 23 year old sent on loan from Celtic getting this hype is unwarranted in my opinion and might be a hindrance to the lad if he doesn't perform. Hopefully he does well for us if called up and at his age he has time to kick on in his career which would be good for him and us... 
Sponsored Links

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:15pm
Ah yeah extended squads LOL
Still though. Lots of noise being made for this lad.
Him waltzing straight into the main squad would piss me off tbh.
We have young players coming through that have earned a place.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Must have some Agent this lad because the fuss made of him by the media, the FAI media pages and fan debates that have generated is something else! Hopefully he does well for us but in all honesty a 23 year old sent on loan from Celtic getting this hype is unwarranted in my opinion and might be a hindrance to the lad if he doesn't perform. Hopefully he does well for us if called up and at his age he has time to kick on in his career which would be good for him and us... 

Tbf, what fuss? There's been an article from a sports journalist and a post on the FAI's twitter that he has been cleared to play. We're hardly talking wall-to-wall coverage here, in fact unless you were actually following the Irish team specifically I doubt you'd have a clue what was going on with him.
We're decent enough..
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:23pm
The 'noise' around this fella is coming from social media accounts and on here. It's not as if Football Ireland, SK or any of his staff are saying much about him apart from the fact that there is mutual interest in representing us.

If he is brought into the squad for the Latvia game, wether to look at him in training or some mins on pitch, then I don't see much issue with that as long as he's not taking the place of someone more deserving in that position. We're not excactly stacked on wingers. 

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Tbf, what fuss? There's been an article from a sports journalist and a post on the FAI's twitter that he has been cleared to play. We're hardly talking wall-to-wall coverage here, in fact unless you were actually following the Irish team specifically I doubt you'd have a clue what was going on with him.

Exactly, Ive seen no more fuss than there was when Callum Robinson switched for example.

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

The 'noise' around this fella is coming from social media accounts and on here. It's not as if Football Ireland, SK or any of his staff are saying much about him apart from the fact that there is mutual interest in representing us.

If he is brought into the squad for the Latvia game, wether to look at him in training or some mins on pitch, then I don't see much issue with that as long as he's not taking the place of someone more deserving in that position. We're not excactly stacked on wingers. 

Ireland Football*
In fairness we don't even play with wingers so he will be taking the place of someone more deserving LOL
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:43pm
Ireland Hoofball
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:43pm
Will Keane got similar talk when he first came into the fold. 

I don’t know much about Johnston but when you are going to have multiple midfield or attacking options playing for Preston,Wigan,Reading and even Derby County in League 1 it’s hardly a massive crime to be selecting a guy getting reasonable gametime for Vitoria. 

Not that I’m getting carried away with his inclusion. 

Edited by kevin100 - 09 Mar 2023 at 1:44pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I don’t know much about Johnston but when you are going to have multiple midfield or attacking options playing for Preston,Wigan,Reading and even Derby County in League 1 it’s hardly a massive crime to be selecting a guy getting reasonable gametime for Vitoria. 

I'm not sure he deserves a call up on current form, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here. This lad was doing very well up to age 21, when injuries began to blight his career. He won 3rd best player at  the Toulon tournament for Scotland as an 18yo and was doing very well at Celtic over the next couple of seasons until his injury issues flared up.

Is playing as a squad player in a Vitoria side 5th in the Portugese League worthy of a call up? I dont know (Its probably a higher level than McGrath or Knight or Azaz are playing at), but tbf the lad has demonstrated a fair bit of talent in the past and he is a good 4 years younger than CJ Hamilton. I wouldn't personally have him in the squad right now, but I'll reserve judgement on this one., It might be a shrewd move in the medium term.
Idah Dream!
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 2:39pm
Yep. Hopefully will be shrewd and maybe this gives him new energy to kick on. I don't see it personally in the short term because I wouldn't be liking him narrow and we don;t play with wingers. Medium term. Maybe with a new formation or in 12 months with a new manager it could work out.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I'm not sure he deserves a call up on current form, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here. This lad was doing very well up to age 21, when injuries began to blight his career. He won 3rd best player at  the Toulon tournament for Scotland as an 18yo and was doing very well at Celtic over the next couple of seasons until his injury issues flared up.

Is playing as a squad player in a Vitoria side 5th in the Portugese League worthy of a call up? I dont know (Its probably a higher level than McGrath or Knight or Azaz are playing at), but tbf the lad has demonstrated a fair bit of talent in the past and he is a good 4 years younger than CJ Hamilton. I wouldn't personally have him in the squad right now, but I'll reserve judgement on this one., It might be a shrewd move in the medium term.

There was similar eyebrows raised when he first called up Ogbene playing in League One after being out injured for a few months and not exactly pulling up any trees. He was also then playing a RWB. Kenny got him in and played up front and hes been one of our better players.

If it works out, great, if it doesn't, no harm done. One cap wonders have always been a thing.

He'd a good eye for it with Szmodics and Sykes in League One too who then went on to making the step up to the Championship and currently doing very well, they could be decent squad options for us going forward.

Edited by Bandwagon - 09 Mar 2023 at 2:54pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 4:20pm

Is playing as a squad player in a Vitoria side 5th in the Portugese League worthy of a call up? I dont know (Its probably a higher level than McGrath or Knight or Azaz are playing at)

Regardless of his inclusion, the level he's playing at the moment(if playing consistently) is much higher than L1.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 4:33pm

Is playing as a squad player in a Vitoria side 5th in the Portugese League worthy of a call up? I dont know (Its probably a higher level than McGrath or Knight or Azaz are playing at)

Regardless of his inclusion, the level he's playing at the moment(if playing consistently) is much higher than L1.

Agreed the level is higher than L1, but he's only started 8 of 23 games for them and while the traditional top 3 teams in that League are pretty good plus more recently Braga, the rest are pretty meh. Vitoria are 5th. but 12 pts off 3rd and have only scored 24 goals in 23 games. Best of the Rest maybe this year, they have been 6th, 6th, 7th over the last 3 seasons and were knocked out in the early qualifying rounds for the Conference League this season.

The portugese League itself despite Benfica and Porto doing pretty well most years in CL (perennial Last 16 - QF for Benfica this year) isnt ranked much higher than the SPL in the UEFA Ranking system (7th vs 9th), so how much better a team like Vitoria might be compared with a Hearts for example is open to question.
Idah Dream!
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 9:56pm

Plenty of it is coming From the FAI twitter...
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Plenty of it is coming From the FAI twitter...

Where?

Literally one post to say he has received international clearance.
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 4:13pm
how come scotland don't want him?
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

how come scotland don't want him?

Because Scotland have a 'golden generation' at the moment - that is despite them losing 4-2 over two games to our worst ever team...
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 4:20pm
Because he hasn't shown anything to suggest that he should be in their squad - or ours for that matter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
  Share Topic