You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - LATVIA/FRANCE 22nd/27th MARCH 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 35>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

I know Coleman's in a bit of form now but would like to see Danny McNamara called up and given 45 mins against Latvia

I think, unfortunately for Mc Namara, he is going to have to wait until the skipper hangs up his boots. His case for inclusion is less compelling than that of Manning's on the other flank and added to that, Coleman and Doherty are two of the first names on the squad list. We also have Browne, Ogbene and more recently Sykes in the squad, all of whom have experience playing in the position. Ebosele has also been called up in the not too distant past.

McNamara has had a decent season for a Millwall side punching above their weight, but his figures arent particularly impressive for a RWB, 29 starts and 1 sub app this season in the Championship, just 1 assist and a Whoscored rating of 6.70. Christie at Hull 24 starts, 4 sub apps, 3 goals, 1 assist and a Whoscored rating of 6.76 probably has a stronger claim based purely on form and I dont think he'll be selected either. Lyons has also had a good start to his Blackpool career with a goal already after just 5 starts and 2 sub apps since his January move.

By way of comparison Manning has the 4th best Whoscored rating in the entire Championship (7.18) and has 3 goals and 6 assists in 29 starts and 2 sub apps plus he has been named Man of the Match 7 times (only 1 player in the Division has more), McNamara has 0 MotM awards.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 10:05am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

I know Coleman's in a bit of form now but would like to see Danny McNamara called up and given 45 mins against Latvia
You're right, JR. McNamara is having an excellent season at Millwall - a team with good play-off possibilities. It's a bit like Manning really - both have been excellent Championship players and should be in our match-day squads. It must gall them that Parrott is a walk-up Kenny favourite despite being a three-time Championship failure. 

If they ever manage 4 goals and 2 assists in 750 minutes of international football, maybe they'll be in a position to complain.

While I dont want to be overly critical of Troy, who after all has only just turned 21, and I admire your tenacity in continually fighting his corner, there's a clear argument to be made that if all 9 striking options (10 if you include Cannon who seems to have taken his starting spot at PNE) were available, and selection was purely down to form over the season, then Parrott would struggle for a place in the squad, let alone the team. He has 2 goals, a deflected cross and a penalty, and 0 assists in 20 games (1,212 minutes) of football in the Championship this season and a Whoscored rating of 6.50. That's a poor return by anybody's standards.
Idah Dream!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 10:38am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

You're right, JR. McNamara is having an excellent season at Millwall - a team with good play-off possibilities. It's a bit like Manning really - both have been excellent Championship players and should be in our match-day squads. It must gall them that Parrott is a walk-up Kenny favourite despite being a three-time Championship failure. 

If they ever manage 4 goals and 2 assists in 750 minutes of international football, maybe they'll be in a position to complain.

While I dont want to be overly critical of Troy, who after all has only just turned 21, and I admire your tenacity in continually fighting his corner, there's a clear argument to be made that if all 9 striking options (10 if you include Cannon who seems to have taken his starting spot at PNE) were available, and selection was purely down to form over the season, then Parrott would struggle for a place in the squad, let alone the team. He has 2 goals, a deflected cross and a penalty, and 0 assists in 20 games (1,212 minutes) of football in the Championship this season and a Whoscored rating of 6.50. That's a poor return by anybody's standards.
Well said, John. My comment about Parrott was clearly relative.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 10:39am

I think, unfortunately for Mc Namara, he is going to have to wait until the skipper hangs up his boots. His case for inclusion is less compelling than that of Manning's on the other flank and added to that, Coleman and Doherty are two of the first names on the squad list. We also have Browne, Ogbene and more recently Sykes in the squad, all of whom have experience playing in the position. Ebosele has also been called up in the not too distant past.

McNamara has had a decent season for a Millwall side punching above their weight, but his figures arent particularly impressive for a RWB, 29 starts and 1 sub app this season in the Championship, just 1 assist and a Whoscored rating of 6.70. Christie at Hull 24 starts, 4 sub apps, 3 goals, 1 assist and a Whoscored rating of 6.76 probably has a stronger claim based purely on form and I dont think he'll be selected either. Lyons has also had a good start to his Blackpool career with a goal already after just 5 starts and 2 sub apps since his January move.

By way of comparison Manning has the 4th best Whoscored rating in the entire Championship (7.18) and has 3 goals and 6 assists in 29 starts and 2 sub apps plus he has been named Man of the Match 7 times (only 1 player in the Division has more), McNamara has 0 MotM awards.

I would say McNamara's case is stronger if anything. For one thing, unlike Manning, he can actually defend. He has more pace than Manning also.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the WhoScored stuff, it's always going to favour a more attack minded wing back than a solid defensive type.

For my money I think McNamara will go on to have a better international career than Manning. I get the feeling it won't happen under the current manager though for whatever reason.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 10:54am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I would say McNamara's case is stronger if anything. For one thing, unlike Manning, he can actually defend. He has more pace than Manning also.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the WhoScored stuff, it's always going to favour a more attack minded wing back than a solid defensive type.

For my money I think McNamara will go on to have a better international career than Manning. I get the feeling it won't happen under the current manager though for whatever reason.

I accept some of that, but I still dont think the case for McNamara's inclusion for the next squad is as strong as Manning's based not just on form, but also on competition for the spot, unless you think McNamara should be ahead of either Coleman or Doherty in the pecking order. Manning is competing with McClean, Brady and O'Dowda. McNamara will have to be patient, I dont think his omission to date is particularly controversial and I havent seen enough of him play to give an opinion on whether or not he will have a better international career than Manning. He will also have plenty of competition from younger players coming through when Coleman retires e.g. Lyons/Ebosele.

There are plenty of curious Kenny selections that are worthy of criticism, I just dont think his omission of McNamara is one of them.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 11:52am
I just think, when your two main players in a position are in their 30s, and mid 30s in Coleman's case, it might make sense to integrate another younger option, especially when one of the games is a friendly. On the left you can argue that there will likely be at least one 20 something available in O'Dowda, even if Manning isn't picked.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I just think, when your two main players in a position are in their 30s, and mid 30s in Coleman's case, it might make sense to integrate another younger option, especially when one of the games is a friendly. On the left you can argue that there will likely be at least one 20 something available in O'Dowda, even if Manning isn't picked.

Fair enough, in which case, it should probably have been done before now. As things stand it looks likely that Doherty will need minutes vs Latvia and we are likely to have Coleman, Browne (who has played almost half his games this season as a RWB), Sykes ditto and Ogbene in the squad. 

In any case, barring injuries I dont see McNamara as being a priority introduction for this next squad. I would be more critical of Kenny for his ongoing exclusion of Manning than I would be of him for not introducing McNamara at this point in time, but tbh I wouldnt even be as critical as some have been regarding Manning - I dont think it's that clear cut, Mc Clean, Brady (at the time i.e. November) and O'Dowda were all also playing well. This time around Brady seems pretty much out of favour at PNE, so it will be interesting to see if Kenny retains him in the squad, maybe on the basis of his experience, ability to play elsewhere on the park, set pieces. Both McNamara and Manning may well have to wait for the next campaign/manager to get a chance.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:17pm

He has 6 goal involvements in 7.5 games worth of playing time - he has delivered when playing for Ireland big time, that is the long and short of it.
We're decent enough..
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:18pm
France XI:

Ferguson------Obafemi

McClean-----Browne-------Molumby-----Doherty
Cullen

Egan---------Collins-------O'Shea

Bazunu
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:22pm
Your not far wrong with that line up.

I'd nearly go for Knight instead of Browne because of his energy and running in the centre of the park.

If Doherty does not play between now and the game, it could be Coleman playing on the right or a case of Doherty on the left and Coleman on the right.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I'd nearly go for Knight instead of Browne because of his energy and running in the centre of the park.

If Doherty does not play between now and the game, it could be Coleman playing on the right or a case of Doherty on the left and Coleman on the right.

Isn't Molumby enough for that? Someone who can progress the ball to the front 2 is needed. For all the stick he gets, genuinely think Hendrick is the best man for that.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

France XI:

Ferguson------Obafemi

McClean-----Browne-------Molumby-----Doherty
Cullen

Egan---------Collins-------O'Shea

Bazunu

I wouldn't be at all disappointed with that line up and I think it wont be far off. However, fwiw I think SK will select Coleman at RWB and give him the thankless task of going up against Mbappe, with Doherty getting the nod at LWB. I also think SK will start Knight ahead of Browne. I'm not saying that team would be my own preference, but I think that's what we will see barring injuries.

Edited by John Nice - 01 Mar 2023 at 12:31pm
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Isn't Molumby enough for that? Someone who can progress the ball to the front 2 is needed. For all the stick he gets, genuinely think Hendrick is the best man for that.

Controversial. 

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:40pm

He has 6 goal involvements in 7.5 games worth of playing time - he has delivered when playing for Ireland big time, that is the long and short of it.

I think you'd have a point if Ireland had been flying during the period in which Parrott has been contributing, but we simply havent, we have been poor as a team for the most part, Scotland game notwithstanding where I acknowledge Parrott had a good game and did well to get on the end of an exquisite Obafemi through ball. His other 3 goals came in friendlies, 2 vs Andorra and 1 (admittedly a match winner) vs Lithuania. I'm not saying he has done badly in his fledgling Ireland career, but I'm not sure he's done enough to make him undroppable given his ongoing run of poor form at club level.

If all our striking options were fit and available and the U21s had a competitive game, I think there's a genuine argument to be had that Troy should drop down for now. In saying that, given the injuries to Robinson and Connolly, I think it is highly unlikely that Troy doesnt make the squad. Even if both were fit, I think SK would likely still select him, I'm just not sure that he should.

Edited by John Nice - 01 Mar 2023 at 12:46pm
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:58pm

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Controversial. 

I'm a long time supporter of Hendrick on here, purely because I think he gets way more stick than is warranted. It's not his fault that he's only as good as he is, nor is it his fault that there has been really nobody better than him for a long time now, but I dont see us progressing the ball through midfield in the French game, so I dont think it's a game that will play to Jeff's strengths. Knight and Molumby have the tenacity and work rate to press hard and get up in support of the front 2 when required, that's not Hendrick's game. I even see some advocating for a switch back to the 3-4-2-1 and playing an additional midfielder McGrath ahead of Obafemi and I'd imagine that is more likely than Hendrick starting in a 3-5-2.
Idah Dream!
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:26pm
hendrick is better in a 3 than a 2 but im not sure about the advantages of playing him v france mind you. probably need more industry in there in that game. any time kenny has played him in the 3-4-3 our midfield has been badly over run but we've got away with it, thinking back to azerbajin in particular. hendrick should be ok in games we are expected to win (lol) . he gets far too much grief though , plenty of lads get away with putting in worse performances than he has. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 6:39pm
Tbf to Hendrick he does put in a shift as well and wouldn’t have any worry about lack of endeavour on his part if he started. 

Issue with Hendrick is he needs to be in a 3 man midfield he was a passenger in the 2nd half against Armenia away the day we needed someone to step up get on and keep the ball etc.

As for Parrott he will be in the squad but I would think his starting place might be under threat. Evan Ferguson is the first name picked and Obafemi might get the nod with him. Think personally it’s a game for Ogbene but I don’t see him getting picked.

Edited by kevin100 - 01 Mar 2023 at 6:41pm
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 7:36pm
ferguson should get 60 v latvia then wrap him up. ogbene maybe gets the nod in that game but he isnt at obafemis level technically imo cant have him starting vs france.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 35>
  Share Topic