You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - LATVIA/FRANCE 22nd/27th MARCH 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 35>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:07am
I think Doherty is the right shout. One of the older and more senior players. He has been one of the better players under Kenny (forgiving his mistake in the Scotland away goal). 
I'd still have Doherty in the starting XI versus France so getting the armband and having a good game later is best prep possible for Monday.
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:09am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I think Doherty is the right shout. One of the older and more senior players. He has been one of the better players under Kenny (forgiving his mistake in the Scotland away goal). 
I'd still have Doherty in the starting XI versus France so getting the armband and having a good game later is best prep possible for Monday.

He'll definitely play on Monday so it makes sense to play him tonight due to his lack of game time 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:12am
Don't think Cullen will play as too important for Monday.

Baz
Doherty--Collins--O'Shea--Omobamidele--O'Dowda
Smallbone(or Mcgrath)--Hendrick--Browne
Ferguson--Obafemi (or Ogbene)

Reckon it will be something like that from the start tonight 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:24am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Don't think Cullen will play as too important for Monday.

Baz
Doherty--Collins--O'Shea--Omobamidele--O'Dowda
Smallbone(or Mcgrath)--Hendrick--Browne
Ferguson--Obafemi (or Ogbene)

Reckon it will be something like that from the start tonight 

Still think we could see a 433, at least at some point during the game. O'Shea is another who certainly doesnt need minutes and he'll maybe want to find a way to get Johnston on the pitch, it would suit Ogbene also (who I still dont think is a central striking option) and Sykes/O'Dowda. Surely Smallbone has to start.
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 12:00pm
                      Kelleher
Doherty Omabamidele Collins O’Shea O’Dowda
              Hendrick Molumby 
                   Smallbone 
                Obafemi Ferguson 

Is what I’d like to see. Don’t be shocked if he went 4-3-3 and we saw something like. 

Kelleher
Doherty Omabamidele Collins O’Dowda
             Hendrick Molumby 
                     Knight
       Johnston Ferguson Ogbene

Edited by kevin100 - 22 Mar 2023 at 12:00pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Kelleher
Doherty Omabamidele Collins O’Shea O’Dowda
              Hendrick Molumby 
                   Smallbone 
                Obafemi Ferguson 

Is what I’d like to see. Don’t be shocked if he went 4-3-3 and we saw something like. 

Kelleher
Doherty Omabamidele Collins O’Dowda
             Hendrick Molumby 
                     Knight
       Johnston Ferguson Ogbene

I think Knight is unlikely to start tonight, missed Derby's 2nd last game through injury and came on just before ht at the weekend. He might get a run out off the bench just to test his fitness. I'd quite like to see the 433, although O'Dowda as an actual full back? I suppose we might get away with it vs Latvia.

I'm still worried this could mean Coleman will be shoehorned into the team vs France as a CB, which would be folly imo.
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:43pm
RTE touched on a possible back-4 later with Obafemi and Ogbene supporting Ferguson.
Or opting to go back to the midfield two that served us so terribly.

Look, we should be able to play last-man-back and beat Latvia.
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

RTE touched on a possible back-4 later with Obafemi and Ogbene supporting Ferguson.

Don't be so sure, we needed 96 minutes and a moment of magic with Lithuania. Armenia did us and very nearly at home too. We're dodgy as fook.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Don't be so sure, we needed 96 minutes and a moment of magic with Lithuania. Armenia did us and very nearly at home too. We're dodgy as fook.

I'm far from sure of it.  Just saying what we *should* be doing...not necessarily what we will do.

Look, if we go out again and huff and puff versus this lot, like we did v Malta, Lithuania and several others, then we know SK hasn't learned a jot.

But I live in hope.
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 2:11pm
Smallbone expected to start behind Obafemi and Ferguson according to Dan Mc. Exactly what we all want to see, hopefully they deliver. 
Here we go again
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Smallbone expected to start behind Obafemi and Ferguson according to Dan Mc. Exactly what we all want to see, hopefully they deliver. 

That would be a positive approach.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

As soon as we go to two in midfield we struggle against almost anyone. It's the lesson that Kenny has refused to learn during his time in charge. 

He has this idea that we can play two central midfielders with two forwards off a central striker that can drop back to support the midfield (3-4-2-1). In reality it only works if one of the two forwards is actually a midfielder like Knight or McGrath. When it's someone like Parrott, Robinson or Ogbene they just swan around doing f**k all out of possession and our two midfielders get overrun. 

Happens every time he tries it, even against bloody Armenia.

Anyway, DMcD reporting Smallbone behind Ferguson and Obafemi, which sounds much better. As long as none of them get injured for the France game.

Edited by You Tell Me - 22 Mar 2023 at 2:22pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

As soon as we go to two in midfield we struggle against almost anyone. It's the lesson that Kenny has refused to learn during his time in charge. 

He has this idea that we can play two central midfielders with two forwards off a central striker that can drop back to support the midfield (3-4-2-1). In reality it only works if one of the two forwards is actually a midfielder like Knight or McGrath. When it's someone like Parrott, Robinson or Ogbene they just swan around doing f**k all out of possession and our two midfielders get overrun. 

Happens every time he tries it, even against bloody Armenia.

Agreed, if he wants 3 attackers at the top end, he has to go 4-3-3. As you say if he plays a 3-4-2-1, then at least one of the two in behind has to be a grafter like Knight. Obviously I'm not advocating a 433 vs France, but I'd like to see it tonight and then vs Gibralter.
Idah Dream!
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 4:37pm

Strange move. Risky one also, throwing him in for a nothing friendly three days after a club game, could go very wrong. Raises questions regarding Kenny's approach to friendlies again. Hope he doesn't get injured. No need for him to be out there for any longer than 45 minutes at the absolute most.
Making your 1st start for Ireland, in a competitive game, v the 2 in a row World Cup finalists France, in front of a sold out Lansdowne Road, would be a massive ask, despite how many minutes you play in other divisions in other countries against other teams. 
I'm glad Ferguson is making his 1st start tonight. Hopefully he bags a goal and his confidence will be sky high for Monday.Clap
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Usually in the international window, the games are Wed and Sat but this week it's Wed and Monday - which is an extra 2 days recovery for the players. 

Kenny has spoken before about fringe players (at club level) not being able to fully recover after the first game. I wouldn't be surprised to see a strong side on Wed starting and then a lot of changes throughout the game.
Very good point. Makes sense for Kenny to do that too.
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What Kenny says will change depending on which way the wind is blowing. I think we will look to win the Latvia game on Wednesday because having back to back defeats (unlikely) and he could be gone.

Losing against France is a real possibility and there is no shame in that but not getting a result at home to Latvia after the shambolic performance against Malta suggests to me at least he will put out a strong enough team to win the game.

Theres a real chance that we could unconvincingly beat Latvia with criticism following and then lose narrowly against France with the team getting praise. 

LOL
Probably will happen LOL
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Strange move. Risky one also, throwing him in for a nothing friendly three days after a club game, could go very wrong. Raises questions regarding Kenny's approach to friendlies again. Hope he doesn't get injured. No need for him to be out there for any longer than 45 minutes at the absolute most.
Making your 1st start for Ireland, in a competitive game, v the 2 in a row World Cup finalists France, in front of a sold out Lansdowne Road, would be a massive ask, despite how many minutes you play in other divisions in other countries against other teams. 
I'm glad Ferguson is making his 1st start tonight. Hopefully he bags a goal and his confidence will be sky high for Monday.Clap

The meltdown on here if Ferguson doesn't start on Monday is almost worth it 
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

The meltdown on here if Ferguson doesn't start on Monday is almost worth it 
It would be a fully justified meltdown, not often we get to say that!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 35>
  Share Topic