You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - LATVIA/FRANCE 22nd/27th MARCH 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 35>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:05pm
Overall it's a strange squad, it looks to me like it's one CB and one FB light with too many attackers all to accomodate Johnston who plays in a position we dont currently utilise.

Surprising Omissions - Brady, Hogan (not saying I'd have had them in, but Hogan looked to have moved ahead of Keane in the pecking order and got minutes in previous windows)
Surprising Inclusions - Mc Grath, Keane (Johnston)

Lenihan and Manning or Brady should have been included and I dont see why he didnt name 28 and give Coventry and Azaz a spin vs Latvia or at least have a look at them in training. A Cullen injury/suspension and we are looking at playing Molumby or Hendrick as the CDM - Coventry may not be ready yet, but he's started ok with Rotherham while Azaz looks a lad who can genuinely change a game with his touch/vision.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:10pm
He's 18, when I was 18 I could play 2 games in a day FFS. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Which premier league team were you playing for???
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:30pm

Sports Science, dont you just love it Smile
Idah Dream!
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Overall it's a strange squad, it looks to me like it's one CB and one FB light with too many attackers all to accomodate Johnston who plays in a position we dont currently utilise.

Surprising Omissions - Brady, Hogan (not saying I'd have had them in, but Hogan looked to have moved ahead of Keane in the pecking order and got minutes in previous windows)
Surprising Inclusions - Mc Grath, Keane (Johnston)

Lenihan and Manning or Brady should have been included and I dont see why he didnt name 28 and give Coventry and Azaz a spin vs Latvia or at least have a look at them in training. A Cullen injury/suspension and we are looking at playing Molumby or Hendrick as the CDM - Coventry may not be ready yet, but he's started ok with Rotherham while Azaz looks a lad who can genuinely change a game with his touch/vision.
Lenihan should have been in the squad. It is the selection that really bothered me. A Formation change would make it all make sense but I doubt it  because that would nean we are light on decent wing options. 

Edited by Nialler - 21 Mar 2023 at 5:41pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Not a chance Browne starts not good enough against average sides never mind France, Knight, Molumby and Cullen worked great as trio against Scotland and will probably be the pick again.

Browne is a player who pops up with goals. Knight doesn't. 

Browne has scored goals vs Serbia, Belgium and Scotland.

We beat Scotland 3-0 at home with him starting. We lost 2-1 away with the midfield three you mentioned. It wouldn't bother me if Knight did start. But it's not like he's world beater himself. He's playing down a level and has become a bit of a utility player. 

Browne played RWB in the 3-0 win, the midfield 3 of Cullen, Molumby and Knight was the same in both games.

Exactly. So Browne was badly missed. The GOAT of Irish water carriers, which is all we have in midfield.

...but he wasn't playing in midfield ...and the goal came from corner. He did little of note in open play  Confused

Edited by Bandwagon - 21 Mar 2023 at 5:49pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:51pm

Not a chance Browne starts not good enough against average sides never mind France, Knight, Molumby and Cullen worked great as trio against Scotland and will probably be the pick again.

We beat Scotland 3-0 at home with him starting. We lost 2-1 away with the midfield three you mentioned. It wouldn't bother me if Knight did start. But it's not like he's world beater himself. He's playing down a level and has become a bit of a utility player. 

Browne played RWB in the 3-0 win, the midfield 3 of Cullen, Molumby and Knight was the same in both games.

Exactly. So Browne was badly missed. The GOAT of Irish water carriers, which is all we have in midfield.

...but he wasn't playing in midfield ...and the goal came from corner. He did little of note in open play  Confused

To be fair, he played very well at RWB and went in to my notebook as a viable option to play there if required. He does play there on occasion for his club also, but I agree he shouldnt start in midfield, although Knight's form/injury status going in to this camp is a concern.
Idah Dream!
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:53pm

To be fair, he played very well at RWB and went in to my notebook as a viable option to play there if required. He does play there on occasion for his club also, but I agree he shouldnt start in midfield, although Knight's form/injury status going in to this camp is a concern.

...and now that I think about it was it not him that gave away the peno when he came on against Scotland in the 2-1 loss?
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:10pm

Hendrick would be a much better option also as at least he can pass the ball.

Christ above! 🤦🏼‍♂️
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:13pm

Sports Science, dont you just love it Smile

LOLLOLClap
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:23pm

Never did Michael Owen any harm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:38pm
Will this be Frances first 'Football game' in the Aviva ??? Last Dublin game was Croke Park a few days before we were robbed in Paris 

Spain and Brazil still to play in the Aviva, any other of the big guns ??
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:23pm
v Latvia

--------------------Bazunu
----Omobamidele--Collins---O'Shea
Coleman---Sykes--Smallbone---O'Dowda
-------------------McGrath
---------Ferguson---Obafemi

Egan for Collins at HT
Browne for Coleman at HT
Molumbay for McGrath at HT
Parrott for Obafemi at 60
Keane for Ferguson at 60

Get the caps out

Edited by tonyjaa - 21 Mar 2023 at 9:05pm
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

v Latvia

--------------------Bazunu
----Omobamidele--Collins---O'Shea
Coleman---Sykes--Smallbone---O'Dowda
-------------------McGrath
---------Ferguson---Obafemi

Get the caps out

You wouldn't exactly need many would you?

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:27pm
I'd expect him to start tomorrow with something very close to the starting xi vs France, and start making changes in the 2nd half.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Will this be Frances first 'Football game' in the Aviva ??? Last Dublin game was Croke Park a few days before we were robbed in Paris 

Spain and Brazil still to play in the Aviva, any other of the big guns ??

Would be yeah.

Italy is another. We've only played them in Euro 2016, Euro 2012 and away Friendlies in London and Liege.
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:32pm
How many subs are allowed in this Latvia friendly?

Edited by tonyjaa - 21 Mar 2023 at 7:39pm
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:56pm
Reading between the lines of Kenny's press conference, wouldn't be sure he will start Ferguson against france, also doesnt sound like smallbone will get a start tomorrow 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 35>
  Share Topic